Tsunami

in any event id wait until after the weekend, they've all shut up shop now.

True, not sure I'd want any overnight swings on this anyway, could be in for some wild volatility with all the uncertainty.

buy Nippon Sheet Glass, Asahi Glass or Central Glass Co. (all tokyo listed)

great moral dilemma. There was plenty of money to be made shorting the NIkkei on Friday, I would imagine plenty more money to be made monday and tuesday. most people on the street would be horrified if they knew traders were profiting from this disaster.

I said I'd feel guilty if I made money but if I'd known it was going to happen beforehand i would have traded it with everything I have, I reckon most other people would do the same.

Eh? That's a totally different question. If I knew it was going to happen I'd be shouting from the rooftops to try to warn people

buy Nippon Sheet Glass, Asahi Glass or Central Glass Co. (all tokyo listed)

Buy sand

Sell Dubai (only a matter of time before it becomes - Atlantis II)

I'd buy glass not for the earthquake but because it is the new techno interface of the future.

The interesting long term play might be nuclear stocks. Short em first for a bit of panic, then get very long. Yeah so there's the odd explosion, but so far what we're seeing is just how safe nuclear is... look how well it's coping with insane circumstances. There could easily be an about turn in how the public look at it.

The interesting long term play might be nuclear stocks. Short em first for a bit of panic, then get very long. Yeah so there's the odd explosion, but so far what we're seeing is just how safe nuclear is... look how well it's coping with insane circumstances. There could easily be an about turn in how the public look at it.

Risky - better to invest in wind or wave technology imo.

How would the infrastructure have coped if it wasn't out at sea but nearer home instead of 50+ km away. I'm not sure about the safety of nuclear reactors at all. Bet all nuclear countries scratching their heads right now too.

Fancy surviving a scale 9 earthquake followed by a tsunami but only to be decimated by Nuclear fall out. Doesn't bear thinking about.

On a BIA analysis we are now looking at high probability - high impact scenarios if these even happen once every 50 years... Very difficult to build any contingency in for these natural disasters. I think it will cost a great deal of money and time to implement. Drive away investment too. Raise insurance costs. Nigthmare scenario. What is it with nuclear destruction and Japan?

Very sad :(

Nuclear reactors considerably safer than coal power... and when you look at global warming it a no brainer really... so far doesn't seem to have been anyone killed from this serious nuclear incident, to put it into perspective!

Well its good to know that Hannah Craggs is safe and well.

hannah-craggs_1847196c.jpg

After the Kobe quake, Nikkei lost 25% in the aftermath ... this quake has TOTALLY different dimensions ... I could not understand that market did not fall on Friday ... COMPLACENCY at its best ... SCARY is that next Friday in equity markets big expiration is looming ... IMHO ... this will create HAVOC ... be careful, when the machines look out for buyers ...wish you all best of luck!

Here's something incredible I just read: JAPAN moved 8 feet.

The whole of the main island of japan. Moved 8 feet!

Eh? That's a totally different question. If I knew it was going to happen I'd be shouting from the rooftops to try to warn people

I'd probably use a phone. Then head off down to the bookies of course.

Someone over sykpe just told me a ship 100km out got contaminated, can't find the link...

:eek:

Someone over sykpe just told me a ship 100km out got contaminated, can't find the link...

:eek:

With radiation I take it? Not just a sickness and diarrhea bug.

Over the weekend the poor folk over there have had zero good news with the threat of another tsunami this morning, the other reactor blowing up and trouble cooling the two effected reactors down. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before there is sanitation problems which will bring along the threat of diseases and such, but I suppose that would be far better than radiation poisoning.

It seems like this tragedy is getting worse day by day for them not any better.