Trading the spot market using price & time analysis.

fxmarkets said:
the rolling value of the chosen indicator value. do those indicator values have or indicate future price movement or do they serve use as a tool. yeah i'd say so.

can they distract you from pure price action, acceptance, rejection, for some possibly.

Hello fxmarkets,

Not exactly sure were you are coming from, could you expand?

TMM

hello moneymachine. can you compute the stochastic based on looking at price ? can you look at price and calculate where it is in relation to its trend cycle ? looking at price alone wouldn't do it..... yet its a different matter if these indicators based on price are of value, at best we have to go with as their name suggests "indicate" not predict. Indicators are useful as indicators.
Price alone is also a useful "Indicator"

Fx.

The point is that you do not need to compute the stochastic in your head. You just interpret the chart and get a feel for where price is going to go.

JonnyT

When trading the Present Tense by using the Past Tense to compare, one can roughly gauge where the Present Tense should be.

If the Present Tense can drop or rise by a certain amount within a given time, then it can be estimated how far down or up within a given time frame that Present Tense can be at.

fxmarkets,

1. Technical indicators are calculated using different combinations of price and time, therefore they cannot "indicate" anything more than price & time alone.

2. Price is NOT an indicator it is the current value of the instrument in question that an entity(s)who wants to acquire it is willing to pay for it and vice versa for an entity(s) wanting to dispose of it.

TMM

Last edited:
JonnyT said:
The point is that you do not need to compute the stochastic in your head. You just interpret the chart and get a feel for where price is going to go.

JonnyT

Or Just follow it blindly as the case may be!! :eek: :D

TheMoneyMachine said:
fxmarkets,

1. Technical indicators are calculated using different combinations of price and time, therefore they cannot "indicate" anything more than price & time alone.

2. Price is NOT an indicator it is the current value of the instrument in question that an entity(s)who wants to acquire it is willing to pay for it and vice versa for an entity(s) wanting to dispose of it.

TMM

I see your point, the price traded gives an indication of at what price how many transactions took place, I still look at that as an "indication" not an intrinsic fact of valuation.

fxmarkets said:
I see your point, the price traded gives an indication of at what price how many transactions took place, I still look at that as an "indication" not an intrinsic fact of valuation.

Volume tells us how many transactions took place not price. Retrospectively price represented a mutual agreement between two parties for whatever instrument they were buying or selling. The present price is the potential for transactions to take place.

TMM

TheMoneyMachine said:
Volume tells us how many transactions took place not price. Retrospectively price represented a mutual agreement between two parties for whatever instrument they were buying or selling.
TMM

hello mate, Yes I see your point but I dont look at price minus transactions, hence transactions and price part of the whole for me.

and "Retrospectively price represented a mutual agreement between two parties "
thats what i see as an "indication" of potential opportunities.

but with trading the word agreement can be used loosely, if you have a method that cuts you out, you may not agree to the price, yet you agree to being cut out on something other than price itself. You take the price no matter what it is maybe, this may leave you negative or positive.

Moneymachine, could you post an example of a trade perhaps, that demonstrates price and time, method in action and thoughts behind it . even theorectical ones ?

fxmarkets said:
Moneymachine, could you post an example of a trade perhaps, that demonstrates price and time, method in action and thoughts behind it . even theorectical ones ?

Leave it with me fxmarkets, i will post some examples over the weekend.

TMM

I am also curious to know if anyone subscribes to the 'market profile' way of looking at time and price with regards to forex. If so, what do you use for time segmentations (I think standard tpo's are 1/2 hour in length), and what do you consider 'the opening' part of the day in a market that trades 24 hours.
JO

JumpOff said:
I am also curious to know if anyone subscribes to the 'market profile' way of looking at time and price with regards to forex. If so, what do you use for time segmentations (I think standard tpo's are 1/2 hour in length), and what do you consider 'the opening' part of the day in a market that trades 24 hours.
JO
With respect, but you have got the wrong end of the stick.

By this I mean you are trying to box in that which cannot be boxed.

This is because you are trying to quantify outcomes in tick tock time.

These outcomes do not fall within the framework of quantifiable time in terms of fixed periods, they fall within the definition of variable time within the price time continuum, which is fluid, and not fixed.

Observing the behaviour of the time instead of the price is a more adequate approach.

You may find that this route may serve to give you an intuitive input not otherwise obtainable.

Kind Regards.

SOCRATES said:
With respect, but you have got the wrong end of the stick.

By this I mean you are trying to box in that which cannot be boxed.

This is because you are trying to quantify outcomes in tick tock time.

These outcomes do not fall within the framework of quantifiable time in terms of fixed periods, they fall within the definition of variable time within the price time continuum, which is fluid, and not fixed.

Observing the behaviour of the time instead of the price is a more adequate approach.

You may find that this route may serve to give you an intuitive input not otherwise obtainable.

Kind Regards.

Socrates,

In search of education without the use of indicators et al this thread was looking rather promising. I know you know what you are talking about but all the threads in this website seem to concentrate more on stocks, shares and indicies.

I would like to endevaur to learn more about 'proper' trading but all you have done is confuse me completely!

Please elaborate!...

J

jezza888 said:
ON second reading I understand what you mean...
The penny has dropped, has it ?

Ah good, I am pleased, lest you be misdirected into believing that markets run like railway networks and are rigidly subject to strict timetables.

I am amazed at the number of people who believe it and who go on to insist and to try to apply what they call "systems" to that which is not systematic at all, "formulas" to that which can not be formulated and "indicators" to that which is plain for all to see without messing up charts with all these coloured lines and other nonsenses.

SOCRATES said:
The penny has dropped, has it ?

Ah good, I am pleased, lest you be misdirected into believing that markets run like railway networks and are rigidly subject to strict timetables.

I am amazed at the number of people who believe it and who go on to insist and to try to apply what they call "systems" to that which is not systematic at all, "formulas" to that which can not be formulated and "indicators" to that which is plain for all to see without messing up charts with all these coloured lines and other nonsenses.

I think if the markets were run like the rail networks they would be even more erratic than they currently are!

JonnyT, what sort of educational resources would you recommend for better understanding price action (I presume candlestick type books...).

I am amazed at the number of people who believe it and who go on to insist and to try to apply what they call "systems" to that which is not systematic at all, "formulas" to that which can not be formulated and "indicators" to that which is plain for all to see without messing up charts with all these coloured lines and other nonsenses.[/QUOTE]

Hello Socrates,

I also find this amazing to, but i am afraid that using technical indicators has now become the conventional method for market analysis and it will therefore continue to bemuse us.

I also find it astonishing that so many insist on attempting to perfectly and accurately define market conditions, entry and exit setups etc and expect to achieve consistency over time.

Market behaviour repeats itself over and over again but every moment is unique and attempting to apply rigidity to something which is fluid seriously reduces opportunity.

Regards

TMM