Trading the markets with Alan Rich.

This is the daily chart for UK stock MLW.

Alan

Attachments

• mlw1.gif
    mlw1.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 370
NAZ,

I have two questions to ask ..

1) on your intra day trading how do you calculate your position size for different stocks . For example would you buy the same number of shares of GOOG as you would do for AMZN . Do you have any objective methodology or totally subjective ?

2) on your Swing trades Uk stocks what are your technical criteria's for entry . And do you use the same criteria for both UK and US ?

Grey1

Great to see you back NAZ !!!
I will be following your thread closely, keep up the good work. :)

Hi Naz,

Great to see some pre and post trading setups with commentary and trades, a certain rarity on this site lately.
A couple of questions if I may.
Do you hold a bias towards the longs when intraday stock trading ( i have not seen many shorts on this thread)? Or is this in accordance with the general market sentiment? Are you looking for bullish setups in the majority of instances?

Where can i find more info on the scanner you use and the free seminars?

A bit late now so i'll just answer quickly.

I only go long if thats the trend of the item i'm trading.

The free seminar is on the front page of T2W, just look for the green box at the bottom of the page. The scanner's web site is mentioned in that box as well.

Alan

NFLX a move after the earnings report

NFLX
Naz said:
Next week there are lots of US earnings coming out. If any reader of the thread spots something that has potential like TZOO then feel free to mention it. If we're into the US and Tim or anyone else sees something looking good in the UK then once again mention it. Dont worry if it dosnt run at all, its just the fact that its been mentioned for possible potential. If there's a story that goes with it then by all means let us know.

Alan
NFLX reports April 24 after hours. I already have a short term position in the May 27.50 puts (QNQQY) up about 25%, but will definitely hedge with a CALL OPTION position in the 32.50 calls (QNQET) which cost arount $1.35 (small price to pay for a potential BLOCKBUSTER move *(pun intended) Technically a breakout was above the 30 area, but the earnings report will be the catalyst for an even bigger move..

*NFLX The Internet movie-rental firm is locked in struggle with its brick-and-mortar counterpart Blockbuster (nyse: BBI - news - people ).

Last edited:
UARM (Crushing the Armour)?

UARM reports April 26 BEFORE THE OPEN. UARM was CRUSHED after the last earnings report on February 7, the stock had a move from the 39 area a steady downturn to 27.20 by February 22. The last outlook was for a "shaky future" With a Price to Earnings ratio of 90, UARM is priced for a move down in the wake of bad news. If UARM gaps down and continues down it is a candidate for a longer term pullback possibly to the 24. 30 (UWGQF @ $1.30) or 25 puts (UWGQE $0.35) for May can be cheap way to get aboard for this move. VERY RISKY PLAY and others might prefer to play the MOMENTUM unto Tuesday's close as well as the consequent reaction of the stock to the report on WEDNESDAY morning.

Another consideration is the 34 million IPO shares still in lockup and scheduled to be sellable soon.

INSP possibly a "YHOO type of move"

INSP is another HOT stock that will move after its earnings report on April 26 after the market close. On the technical side a cup and handle breakout (must have be on high volume) in the 28-29 area. Here again we have a highly RISKY play but with a good potentially EXPLOSIVE move. There is time for a ramp up into the report but the better move will be following the report on April 26. I like the 30 calls for May IOUEF, but there is plenty of time to play the STOCK momentum into the report without picking up any option position prematurely. THis is not a stock like COP, but for those with a taste for a GOOG/SNDK kind of play.

Last edited:
Good stuff Eurotrader52 thanks for giving us all the heads up.

Alan

For interest. When i trade intra day i work my order in the level 2 direct access screen. If the chart looks great but the reality on level 2 looks bleak then i'll leave the stock alone, the viewing of the level 2 screen also dictates my postition size. I trade possible momentum backed up with intra day chart patterns.

I dont use the same criteria to swing trade UK and US stocks although the one common element is that i do try and see how the intra day action is feeding into the bigger EOD picture to try and get an early start on a swing move. On the free evenings i try and show some of my criteria's for entry.

Alan

ZRAN.. Potential intraday MOVER on earnings momentum.

ZRAN - Potential intraday move into close on earnings momentum. ZRAN looks to be in a longer term uptrend, although short term its showing weakness. 22.50 the resistance and a possible POP after hours which might continue through Tuesday's open. More conservative players might want to wait to buy or sell short by the time the Tuesday morning move exhausts itself (i.e. buying a gap down or selling short a morning pop).

As you can see ZRAN exploded into the prior report on January 30, but was sold at the pop up the following day. THE BIGGER THE EARNINGS SURPRISE THE BIGGER THE POTENTIAL MOVE ZRAN's earnings estimate is conservative due to seasonal weakness expected the first quarter, so there is a good chance for a surprise. See this article from Forbes

Attachments

• zran.gif
    zran.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:
I know lots of people trade UK stock Dana.(DNX) I see its up today here was my last swing entry by reading the intra day action.

Alan

Attachments

• d11.gif
    d11.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 385
  • d22.gif
    d22.gif
    4.2 KB · Views: 315
Update on my TZOO hot stock mentioned over the weekend. The scanner caught it for members as soon as the move was on and my commentary kept them updated all morning on its 700 point run.

Details and chart below.

Alan

Attachments

• tz.gif
    tz.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 257
  • tz1.gif
    tz1.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
The first trading day of this thread and according to my top ten leaders of the Nasdaq at the moment we nailed the number one mover, cant be bad.

Alan

Attachments

• tz3.gif
    tz3.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 378
For day trading i use an electronic scanner at via-trader.com. I'll show some examples of its stunning accuracy next week.

Naz

I refer to your post #6 and have 2 questions re Via :-

1. Are there any statistics on the accuracy of Via ? eg. % of good alerts to total alerts ?

2. On receiving any given alert from Via, on average what duration of time would expire from alert time to trade entry time assuming the alert is good.

Thanks for your time.

ZRAN up 14% and still pumping!! Hope someone enjoyed

ZRAN really nice BIG pop up 14% after hours! Strong uptrend up 3% intraday on earnings momentum. WOW Second time this year

Last edited:
NFLX up 2.20 (over 6%) after a good report

NFLX I would watch for some profit taking in the after hours. NFLX increasing their near term guidance. NFLX potential for a position trade possible through the 40 area

Naz said:
The first trading day of this thread and according to my top ten leaders of the Nasdaq at the moment we nailed the number one mover, cant be bad.

Alan
WOW Alan EXCELLENT MOVE in TZOO! Between ZRAN and TZOO, a 30% move today. NICE that you give your special stocks BEFORE THE FACT so traders can take advantage of the potential gains. I will also be posting some charts for some new earnings plays later on. I just "plug" them into my scanner for intraday triggers and pick up options for the actual report.

JCOM short term indicators show TREND change to upside

JCOM another strong move IN ANTICIPATION of its earnings report. Following last report (see the gap down on Feb 7) traded down around 4 points. Earnings report is Tuesday after the close.Here is a link providing some explanation of the move down. JCOM is now in a positive uptrend that just might continue through to tomorrow's close and beyond. For the option players out there I suggest the 45 puts for May for a hedge against a pullback, but I'll be continuing to play the LONG side with a position in the 50 calls as well.

The second attachment shows the INTRADAY breakout of a base on the 15 minute chart today. Same upside was in NFLX as well as ZRAN. The 5 and 15 minute charts are great for tracking sudden intraday earnings runs.

JCOM likely to be a longer term hold into the direction of the earnings results. A good report could catapult JCOM through 50, while a dismal outlook will no doubt have JCOM shaking hands in the 40 area.

Attachments

• Jcom.gif
    Jcom.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 372
  • jcombrkout.gif
    jcombrkout.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 307
Last edited: