Trading the Gaps

The price had just drifted around so it just looked suspect which is quite odd for a monday after no news at the weekend and no news of any note today.

1st entry 103.50 at 9:24EST. Filled at 9:40EST at 105.50. Second entry at 9:41EST at 105.75. Second target is going for 2 pts.

Wow. Good call Ilir! My second target was gapped and I was stopped at 102.50. Very strong move to the downside.

I exited third position on 7.5, just a tick before it turned. Wow, negative reception of 10 o'clock report

Stopped out due to the news. That kills off my winning streak of 12 wins on the trot.

That's the markets for you. Ironically I was thinking about taking an exit before the news and then I got slammed about 10 secs later.

Well, gap filled, for a fraction of a second then news pretty much slammed it. For those of us still looking at intraday setups, there may be an opportunity to go long shortly.

Stopped out due to the news. That kills off my winning streak of 12 wins on the trot.

That's the markets for you. Ironically I was thinking about taking an exit before the news and then I got slammed about 10 secs later.

Measuring streaks is dangerous thinking to me. I try not to think about the number of straight wins. If anything, I welcome a loss when it gets too long. Would not want to upset the statistics' gods, would we? ;)

I've never seen that before. When the news broke, my stop was actually 'skipped over'. I use 3 tick charts (512, 1600, and 3200) and was looking at my 1600t.

In a funny kind of way, I'm pleased I have taken a loss (the first since 15th January for gap). I can now carry on without having to look over my shoulder, if you see what I mean.

Ironically, it was marginal < 4pts at open and I knew the news was coming at 3pm and I didn't think it would be be good, but I didn't expect that reaction either.

Good support around 1093 recently for entering long.

e2a - I can see why the reaction was that bad now - level went way below 50 so that is going to spook people.

Last edited:
I've never seen that before. When the news broke, my stop was actually 'skipped over'. I use 3 tick charts (512, 1600, and 3200) and was looking at my 1600t.

I have seen slippages like that once or twice. Dec. 4 of last year was one. I usually prefer to be out of the market when such releases are imminent. I have actually leveraged such report-induced momentum to get into some crazy trades, but it is playing with fire. I place a limit pretty far out of the current market price, hoping to fill into the tail of a crazy candle. Targets are instantaneous, as are stops. As I mature into my trading regimen, I have less and less a tolerance for such stunts, though. Report-induced price momentum is, however, great to position for an intraday top/bottom. I had couple of successful long setups on today's bottom, which I nearly undid with an unsuccessful one. But, wrong thread for that.

Last edited:
I do not swing-trade, at least currently. I look to partake into intraday tops and bottoms, for 2 to 4 points, 3 to 4 trades at most.