Trading Arcade In Dubai

I've been in Dubai for about 7 months now, and dealing with Futures & Options for about 8 years. So, if anyone is interested in exploring business ideas pm me.

Dubai Trading arcade

The first trading arcade in Dubai will announce it is going live this weekend. It will be able to house 37 traders up until August 2008 and 137 thereafter. It has been a long time in coming but with government backing, we have finally got there. The website is www.dubaiptg.com and we will try to reply to questions by return.

To those those who live in Dubai how is the speed of internet do they have fast broadband. How about the Dubai laws? Are residents of Dubai allowed to bet on site like betfair, Igindex?

Thanks.

i lived 8 years in Dubai. the connectivity quality depends where you live. If your villa or condo is an "old" part of town, even ADSL connection will not be available.
If you're in one of the newer developments, such as Springs, the Marina or Meadows, then the connections are better, as they have newer infrastructure and also a seperate company, TECOM, responsible for supply in those areas. but the customer service from TECOM is shockingly 3rd world BAD !

gaming sites are strictly banned. Sometimes even the racing results from sportinglife etc are blocked. There are ways around this, usually routing via Cyprus, but it's a game of cat and mouse and you'll have to keep switching portals to stay ahead of the (very proactive and diligent) internet police.

Someone mentioned temps reaching 40 degrees ? That my friend would be a nice, comfortable day. Temps in mid-summer exceed 50, I've seen 54. Although the "official" government readings never go above, as I recall, 45 otherwise by law all the poor sub-continent workers working outdoors on construction etc, would have to be allowed to go home.

Dubai used to be a wonderful place, almost like a huge village, a great place for ex-pats, either single guys :LOL: or families but now the place is like one huge construction site, traffic is a nightmare and the whole place reeks of greed. Having once vowed never to leave, it's now the last place on Earth i would ever live (and I include KSA in that evaluation).

Just my 2 dirhams worth :rolleyes:

i lived 8 years in Dubai. the connectivity quality depends where you live. If your villa or condo is an "old" part of town, even ADSL connection will not be available.
If you're in one of the newer developments, such as Springs, the Marina or Meadows, then the connections are better, as they have newer infrastructure and also a seperate company, TECOM, responsible for supply in those areas. but the customer service from TECOM is shockingly 3rd world BAD !

gaming sites are strictly banned. Sometimes even the racing results from sportinglife etc are blocked. There are ways around this, usually routing via Cyprus, but it's a game of cat and mouse and you'll have to keep switching portals to stay ahead of the (very proactive and diligent) internet police.

Someone mentioned temps reaching 40 degrees ? That my friend would be a nice, comfortable day. Temps in mid-summer exceed 50, I've seen 54. Although the "official" government readings never go above, as I recall, 45 otherwise by law all the poor sub-continent workers working outdoors on construction etc, would have to be allowed to go home.

Dubai used to be a wonderful place, almost like a huge village, a great place for ex-pats, either single guys :LOL: or families but now the place is like one huge construction site, traffic is a nightmare and the whole place reeks of greed. Having once vowed never to leave, it's now the last place on Earth i would ever live (and I include KSA in that evaluation).

Just my 2 dirhams worth :rolleyes:

Thanks rathcoole_exile.

I have been in and out of Dubai for the last 15 years and yes, it certainly has changed from being 'village' to what it is now. There is a lot of construction, but that largely depends on where you are and much of the town is now developed. I guess whether you like the city is subjective and if villages are your preference, then you won't like Dubai. The proof is in what people do and Dubai still remains one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations and people are moving here not for financial reasons but for the life style (beaches, tax free status etc etc). Also, traffic is no worse than any other capital I know and is definitely better than London. I don’t smell greed in Dubai, I smell opportunities to make a lot of money but maybe that is the same smell!
You are correct about the summer temperatures that go to the high 40’s in the summer (it is rarely above 50) and it can make those two months of the year uncomfortable. But again, it’s not so bad; people still come here on holiday then and go to the beach, everything is air conditioned and the upside is a lot of residents go on holiday so the town becomes empty. I would certainly take a hot summers day in Dubai over a cold dark wet day in Europe.
I would go on about lifestyle in Dubai but I am beginning to sound like the tourist board, so I will leave it to say that the advantages way outweigh some of the downsides which I think I minimal anyway.
One area I do totally agree on is internet connections. It is getting better but is still bad and most of all, very expensive. Basically, the government see communications as a huge source of revenue and despite hours of lobbying, it does not look like it will change yet. The only way I know of for quick connections is to trade Eurex through its hub here or through my arcade, www.DubaiPTG.com which has a dedicated leased line into London (anyone can have a leased line but it takes months to install and starts at $150,000).
If anyone wants to be put into contact with the right people at Eurex contact me and I will direct you through to the right guy.
As for sporting indexes, they are banned but I would not use the word strictly. Most free zone companies I know legitimately by pass internet controls.

Traffic? Yes, if you live in Sharjah, but no European ex-pats live there. I woke up today, looked out of my window onto my beach, then left home for work in my car that is 30% cheaper than in the UK. Took me 15mins door to door. London - 1hr15mins crammed like sardines on some old smelly over-priced tube line that is probably on strike.

Weather-wise, I've only been here one summer and have got used to it. Went back to the UK and thought 25C was cold. Dreading to handle the Xmas winter when I go back as I've never got used to the rain, wind and freezing temperatures.

Internet can be a bit slow, and restrictive, but if you live and operate from certain areas nothing is banned. Wish I had put a bet on Kimi the other day!!

I also don't pay 40% income tax, and won't get stabbed for my mobile phone by some hoodie with an ASBO.

There are good and bad things about Dubai, some love it, some loathe it. You won't know until you've tried it. But, the fact is it has the highest immigration rates in the World tells you something about what a lot of people think. And before anyone mentions, yes, a lot are construction workers, but there are plenty of European ex-pats coming by the plane load everyday.

I have been in and out of Dubai for the last 15 years and yes, it certainly has changed from being 'village' to what it is now. There is a lot of construction, but that largely depends on where you are and much of the town is now developed. I guess whether you like the city is subjective and if villages are your preference, then you won't like Dubai. The proof is in what people do and Dubai still remains one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations and people are moving here not for financial reasons but for the life style (beaches, tax free status etc etc). Also, traffic is no worse than any other capital I know and is definitely better than London. I don’t smell greed in Dubai, I smell opportunities to make a lot of money but maybe that is the same smell!
You are correct about the summer temperatures that go to the high 40’s in the summer (it is rarely above 50) and it can make those two months of the year uncomfortable. But again, it’s not so bad; people still come here on holiday then and go to the beach, everything is air conditioned and the upside is a lot of residents go on holiday so the town becomes empty. I would certainly take a hot summers day in Dubai over a cold dark wet day in Europe.
I would go on about lifestyle in Dubai but I am beginning to sound like the tourist board, so I will leave it to say that the advantages way outweigh some of the downsides which I think I minimal anyway.
One area I do totally agree on is internet connections. It is getting better but is still bad and most of all, very expensive. Basically, the government see communications as a huge source of revenue and despite hours of lobbying, it does not look like it will change yet. The only way I know of for quick connections is to trade Eurex through its hub here or through my arcade, Dubai PTG which has a dedicated leased line into London (anyone can have a leased line but it takes months to install and starts at $150,000).
If anyone wants to be put into contact with the right people at Eurex contact me and I will direct you through to the right guy.
As for sporting indexes, they are banned but I would not use the word strictly. Most free zone companies I know legitimately by pass internet controls.

How does it work exactely when you want to trade at the arcade? More info please :)

People really need to be aware that if they go there they are going to a medieval dictatorship straight out of a horror movie:

"BBC

Tourists warned of UAE drug laws

Dubai is popular among tourists and businesses
Travellers to the United Arab Emirates are being warned about its severe drug laws which have seen dozens detained for apparently minor offences.

Possession of painkillers like codeine and some cold and flu medication could result in a mandatory four-year prison sentence, Fair Trials International said.

In one of the most extreme cases, it reported a man being held after poppy seeds from a bread roll were found on his clothes.

Catherine Wolthuizen, chief executive of Fair Trials International, said customs authorities were using highly sensitive new equipment to conduct thorough searches on travellers.

"So many people now travel to Dubai and, as we're seeing, many have no idea what risks they're taking or their vulnerability to this very strict approach," she said.

"If they find any amount - no matter how minute - it will be enough to attract a mandatory four-year prison sentence.

"What many travellers may not realise is that they can be deemed to be in possession of such banned substances if they can be detected in their urine or bloodstream, or even in tiny, trace amounts on their person."

British resident Cat Le-Huy was arrested in Dubai for carrying Melatonin jet-lag tablets, which are sold over the counter in the US and Dubai.

Aside from illegal substances, travellers have also been held for possession of prescription drugs.

Tracy Wilkinson was held in custody for eight weeks before customs officers accepted the codeine she was carrying had been prescribed by her doctor for back pains.

Meanwhile, a Swiss national is serving a four-year jail term after three poppy seeds from a bread roll he ate at Heathrow airport were found on his clothes...."

Continued:
BBC NEWS | UK | Tourists warned of UAE drug laws

Btw, just to clarify, for me, this is nothing to do with Arabs, it's exclusively to do with system.

There are many other countries in this world I won't be visiting any time soon that are for example primarily "Christian", at least according to their own understanding even if others don't share that view.

To me it's nothing to do with race or religion, it's only about freedom, democracy, civil rights, common sense and tolerance.

Gimme those, and I'll come visit no matter where.

But without that, I'll stick to the greener pastures this planet has to offer.

Last edited:
What's happening to property prices in Dubai? I would think that they're a) not going up and b) in real real trouble, especially all the off plan stuff.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Dubai government has got a lot of very power PR firms actively working behind the scenes to stop the bad news filtering out. Sort of funny that you can use a PR firm in reverse but I read once that some famous guy in the UK (can't remember who, think he was a very successful businessmen) hired Sir Tim Bell (Thatcher's PR guru) on a big retainer to keep his name OUT of the news.

So what's the gossip on property, and please no talking your own book :)

Last edited:
In order to promote the advantages of Dubai; Dubai PTG is offering traders that meet a certain criteria, free desk space and accomdation in Dubai for a period of up to two months.
If anyone is interested please email [email protected]

I am at a trading arcade in Dubai called DubaiPTG, Connectivity is fast and reliable it is 0%tax (guaranteed for 50 years!) and the lifestyle is amazing....They have a Total Assistance programme that puts to rest all the normal problems of re-locating like visa'a and accommodation etc. I roll up to work at about 11am(time difference) and spend all year in the sun! The lifestyle out here is amazing!! Highly Recommended.............Try it

Dont want to p1ss on your parade but can you tell me a bit more about the lifestyle. Friends who've visited Dubai said its nice for a break but its basically a dusty building site, very hot and lots of malls.

Hi lwrightDPT,

1.I am using IB and futures betting to trade. Would i have to pay taxes on my income in Dubai.

2.Sometimes i use binarybet.com for very short term positions.

3.I also use betfair for sport.

Does Dubai allow Gambling or is it against the laws and it might land you in prisons.

Thank you.

I am at a trading arcade in Dubai called DubaiPTG, Connectivity is fast and reliable it is 0%tax (guaranteed for 50 years!) and the lifestyle is amazing....They have a Total Assistance programme that puts to rest all the normal problems of re-locating like visa'a and accommodation etc. I roll up to work at about 11am(time difference) and spend all year in the sun! The lifestyle out here is amazing!! Highly Recommended.............Try it

Reactions: BSD
Hey,
Dubai is what you make it ! I am here to live not vacation so i suppose it is different. I initially came to Dubai because it was tax free (guaranteed for 50 years) so with the ecomonic climate like it is this was a massive bonus. Dubai has one of the highest devloped economies in the world today and is expanding at a massive pace, hence constuction they are constantly improving their infrasture and services so that it remains in control of the speed in which it is growing. If i wanted a nice ideal holiday i would go to the Maldives if i wanted to increase my wealth I would go to Dubai. I am an active person so i spend weekends wakeboarding or kitesurfing and skiing(indoor ski slope) the weather is hot but it is the desert! Dubai is what you make it...i came for three months and have now been here for 18months with no plans to go back to Europe and the recession! For me the lifestyle is amazing, 80 % of the population is expat, i highly recommend it ... but to live ...not to holiday!

Dont want to p1ss on your parade but can you tell me a bit more bout the lifestyle. Friends who've visited Dubai said its nice for a break but its basically a dusty building site, very hot and lots of malls.