Time to flatten?

Err, why you asking on a forum? Can only confuse things....

It's a discussion forum. I was hoping for a discussion on the matter.

Would you prefer I didn't start trading related discussions on the board Mr Forum Guide?

Good point. Obviously agriculture for instance is not like an 'regular' broad index equity ETF. Some of this stuff was chosen because of how they could behave if the dollar crashes.

Still perhaps I should have been clearer...

The option I am mulling over is exiting soon and then re-entering at a lower price later on. Whilst some of these faired better than others in the big sell off in 08-09, they all got hammered to some degree. My opinion is that if the overall market pulls back, then so will these ETFs.

He's getting a good kick in the balls on here at the moment from experts like Black Swan with all his bullsh1t. Don't know why, I guess everyone knows everything these days. Nothing practical in that book anyway, markets have changed. I'm old fashioned maybe, but whatever the case, I think there's the odd thing we can still use.

Sell and re-enter? Obviously, you're not stupid enough to take advice from a forum. But remember, it's a bull market you know. It wouldn't do to lose your position.

Has price behaviour alerted you to a change? Have basic conditions changed? Why get out if not?

What would you do ?

DT

I would completely sell IYY because there are much better ETF funds around. I'd take my profit and re-invest in one of those. I wouldn't have invested in IYY in the first place for the same reason.

I would also sell (nor invested in the first place) DBP. I prefer to invest in Physical Metal funds and physical precious metal, like Bullion coins. As far as I can tell, from a quick skim over the prospectus, DBP doesn't hold any physical metals.

:)

If we all followed this advice, there wouldn't be much left of t2w?

There is a difference between asking for advice on on an open position, and asking for help/advice on trading in general.

However, I think it's a different story if DT has already decided what to do, and he is just trying to provoke discussion by giving this situation as an example....

In my experience, people tend to ask for advice to a wide audience on a position when it has been making money. Typically, the position will then rapidly reverse after said announcement. Well, that's been my experience anyway, so I don't do it any more.

Irritatingly, I find that when people ask how my trading is going, it's usually when it has been going well. However, my telling them my trading is going well also precipitates a sudden reversal......

In summary, I'm relatively happy to let people know when I'm losing money (although only if asked by someone I know, I hardly want to broadcast it) but I keep schtum when making money.