The Three Keys

I'm not certain that analogy is valid. Regardless, this is getting too deep for my small brain. Happy trading!

jj

I believe new_trader is trying to say that the price of something does not necessarily reflect it's intrinsic value. If a stock is trading at $700, does that reflect the company's worth?

I'll shut up now, because this is after all McQueen threads. We can always continue elsewhere if you prefer.

I believe new_trader is trying to say that the price of something does not necessarily reflect it's intrinsic value. If a stock is trading at $700, does that reflect the company's worth?

I'll shut up now, because this is after all McQueen threads. We can always continue elsewhere if you prefer.

By all means continue, interesting avenue to go down if you wish, it is after all the soul of the method and the rights and wrongs of it should be discussed.

By all means continue, interesting avenue to go down if you wish, it is after all the soul of the method and the rights and wrongs of it should be discussed.

LM mate hope you awake as just taken three positions on USDCHF, USDJPY and DOW short on all three and in profit.

Looking at 1hourly and 5min charts. Entry was based on 5mins.

Also, didn't participate on the DOW fall this evening but looking at my 4 hour and 1 hour charts the 3Key system looks cool with the drop with the benefit of hind sight.

Up +23 pips in the last 10 minutes.

Not bad or is it just luck and timing I don't know.

I've now closed all three pos for +20 pips.

Here is my entry points shown with the red arrows.

I like it. good stuff.

Attachments

• CMC-20080115.doc
    174.5 KB · Views: 371
LM mate hope you awake as just taken three positions on USDCHF, USDJPY and DOW short on all three and in profit.

Also, didn't participate on the DOW fall this evening but looking at my 4 hour and 1 hour charts the 3Key system looks cool with the drop with the benefit of hind sight.

I like it. good stuff.

Hi LM,

Looks like I didn't follow your system and exited prematurely as price still falling on USDYEN and USDCHF...

Going to bed now but signal was good on 5 mins. (y)

I like it. good stuff.

nice set-ups and charts, Atilla. Neat and uncluttered. (y)

I am awake now :cheesy: great stuff Atilla, I'm going to look at dropping down in timeframe for entry myself today, maybe that will help find a setup for me and get off the mark, cheers fella keep up the good work (y)

Ok short on the dow as follows

order placed for Wall Street Rolling sell 10 @ 12430

lets wait and see how that plays out

order cancelled - market went the other way :eek: looks whippy at the moment - no clear trend - so staying out of it

Hi LM, Great thread – I am very much enjoying watching the subject develop.

I hope that I might be able to add a few points to the many that have already been made.

Early in the thread several references are made to Jesse Livermore and his trading techniques. Several questions are then raised by his comments. I’m fascinated by Livermore and have been so for many years.
My feeling is that Livermore’s comments were perhaps cloaking a greater understanding of the markets than most of us perceive. Our ‘perception’ of what goes on is limited by our self imposed rule structures which we may consciously or sub consciously apply to ourselves. My feeling is that Livermore attached absolutely no value to index or stock values other than to acknowledge that each stock or index had to trade at a particular price. Naturally in a bull market prices tended to trend higher whilst a bear market would lead to an overall decline in prices.
Livermore’s techniques were not based around moving averages or any other indicator – this is important to understand since it is this understanding which paves the way for us to understand things beyond our current perception. The basis of this thread is an attempt to develop a largely mechanical trading system of sorts. The trigger to trade being a move away from a predetermined level. I would question everyone who feels the need to use a ‘rule based’ trading system. Most people choose a rule based system because they are looking to absolve themselves of trading responsibility – sub consciously life has taught them to do this – I guess you could call it ‘human nature’ of sorts. Most people will not make money from these systems for many reasons.

What I like about LM’s system are the comments regarding the trade going the right way from the start. This is the kind of ‘taking responsibility’ which makes a system potentially profitable. There is a massive reason for this which I will mention shortly.

Just getting back to Livermore and his techniques – These were, for the most part, based around what we would term as ‘tape reading’. As I said before, the level of an index or stock was not important, what Livermore saw as important was how the prices reacted to the activities of the larger market participants. He would examine how the market ‘absorbed’ buy and sell orders. His key tactic was to try and identify the key areas of what today we call ‘distribution’ and ‘accumulation’. Livermore would record findings in his various journals for later reference. The reason that Livermore was so successful was because he was able to uncover longer term trends right from their outset. The reason that most ‘mechanical’ trend following systems don’t make money is because they spot the trend late. Having ‘spotted’ a trend you join it and hope that the trend continues. Often this happens. The problem is however the exit from a trend. Again a mechanical system falls foul of apparent ‘lag’ – by the time the systems calls an end to the trend the price has retraced significantly and therefore a large percentage of the profit has been eroded. Likewise if we manually intervene, and close it ourselves, the trend will carry on much further and again the profit is missed out on!

Potentially profitable trading....

My own studies have uncovered what I feel are pretty important aspects of trading if one is to become and remain profitable. I feel that these ‘theories’ tie in very nicely with LM’s proposed trading system. This is because I feel that the sudden / rapid movements which LM is looking for are of a particular nature and caused by a particular set of events. People have questioned whether there will be too many false entries (“death by a thousand cuts”) – this is certainly going to be a problem and I would suggest that a volume study is going to be needed either as a set up or a conformation tool.

In my opinion it is important to understand that these types of breakaway techniques are only going to work when there is a significant level of ‘speculative money’ within a particular market. This is because speculative money tends to be ‘fast in – fast out’ in nature meaning that the speculative punter is easily persuaded to alter his market position and this is generally caused by the price movement itself. If the amount of speculative money in a market is low then the reactions to price movements will be very much more damped in nature – this leads to a marked increase in ‘false breakouts’ and the like and a more ‘random walk theory’ starts to prevail.
These theories are backed up by theories such as ‘reversion to the mean’. Someone mentioned earlier about the ‘true value’ of something – this is a very valid point since the true value of something can become vastly distorted by an increase in speculative money. Livermore talks in a number of his books about how certain commodity traders ‘cornered the market’ in certain things. In fact Livermore lost some large sums of money betting against these traders. Livermore commented that ‘no price is so high that it cannot double again in a month’ (or words to that effect). Likewise ‘no price is so low that it cannot half in a week’ (I hope no Northern Rock shareholders are reading this now!).
So, as speculative money enters the market the price can potentially move further and further away from its ‘true value’. In the markets price movements and bigger volumes in turn attract more speculative money which often creates small self perpetuation cycles. Mean reversion shows us that as volumes drop back off the market will return back towards its area of ‘true value’ – ie a fair value which is established by market participants who trade on much longer timeframes and are not persuaded to alter their positions by price movements in the shorter time frames.
As an example you can often spot this in the FTSE in the last 30 minutes of trading. Quite often the FTSE will move independently of its US counterparts (in that last 30 minutes) as the days speculative positions are unwound – this is a reversion towards true value.

So back to profitable trading....

In order to trade profitably on an intra-day basis one has to examine the habits of losing traders. This is, at times, much harder than it sounds. Most of my theories on this subject come about after studying my own unprofitable trading periods. In particular I had a period, about six years back, of intra-day trading on foreign exchange (USD/GBP to be exact) which was of particular annoyance to me since my trading was so consistently bad. By ‘consistently bad’ I mean that I was consistently able to ‘donate’ cash to the markets on a daily basis. As it was I was only trading with £1 per point whilst I ‘got the hang of it’ but it didn’t stop me losing, on average around £120 per week over the course of about 3 months. Statistically I was averaging just under two trades per day – say eight per week. This meant that with a spread of two pips my trading costs were only 16 pips per week which obviously meant that my net market losses were around 104 pips per week. This quite frankly amazed me and, once analysed, lead me to conclude that consistently profitable trading was very possible given that I could show (and indeed demonstrate live!!) that consistent losses could be achieved over and extended 3 month period. I continued studying my failings but to no avail. I could not place any logical reasoning behind this ‘consistency of losses’.
My ‘eureka moment’ came when I was relaxing whilst lying on a beach in Spain. My girlfriend at the time was most amused to see me scribbling away frantically with my demented ramblings. So what had I stumbled across??

What it all comes down to is ‘Stops’! Of course everyone will tell you that keeping good stops is the key to profitable trading but it simply isn’t as straight forward as that and I can now (attempt to) demonstrate why.

I would ask these following questions;

What is a stop and where is it generally placed?

What has happened once a stop has been tripped?

I will attempt to answer my own questions in an attempt to demonstrate my theory. Firstly, stops are generally placed at price extremes in terms of current market action. That is to say that when a stop gets activated the price will have moved to a point of local extremity (at the split second it is triggered) – if the price wasn’t at an extremity then the stop would not be triggered.
Secondly, once a stop has been triggered you are exchanging ‘piece of mind’ (that you loss cannot get any bigger) for a price which is very likely away from ‘true value’ (which is consistently to your detriment). I therefore consider that stops consistently triggered (due to price movements) will always represent bad value from a trading perspective because each and every time a stop is triggered you will be trading at a point in time where the price is least favourable to you in terms of deviation from true value.

Likewise when we think about wining trades – how often do we let winning trades reverse on us before closing? This is the second part of the theory. With stops we set ourselves up to trade at unfavourable price extremes and then compound the issue by only closing winning trades once the price has regressed a good way back towards true value. So, as you can see, we are trading in a manner which is a reverse of what is required.

In my opinion to trade successfully intra-day we must adopt a policy which takes advantage of the theory. This simply means closing bad trades on a regression whilst only ever taking profits on prices of local extremity. By trading this way we will only ever be exchanging ‘value’ at points which are beneficial to ourselves.

End of part one!

Steve.

now trying a buy order @ 124670 Wall St rolling

looking sideways and whippy on an hour chart but I seem to be avoiding it successfully

long from 670 and off like a rocket

Blimey Steve thats a whopper of a post, cheers, I will of course comment when time allows as I am busy trying to trade this strat, not going too well as it happens but there you are early days. (y)

we are away in a strong updraft now, keeping an eye for how to manage the trade, any suggestions anyone ?

closed that one for 40 points still going though so a bit of a silly move :eek:

should have waited for the next 15 min bar to see which way it would go, there we are, wanted to get one under my belt for the thread.

we are away in a strong updraft now, keeping an eye for how to manage the trade, any suggestions anyone ?

Tricky one.... based on my theory I'd ask myself where stops would be placed if I'd have shorted this rally? Answer : Just above 12,540

So I'd place a limit sell at say 12,545

Hope this helps,
Steve.

Blimey Steve thats a whopper of a post, cheers, I will of course comment when time allows as I am busy trying to trade this strat, not going too well as it happens but there you are early days. (y)

Hi LM,

May be your trade ''not going too well'' at the moment. But sure your thread is getting better and better.Lets hope trade catches up with the thread.

regards,

searchlight

Hi LM,

May be your trade ''not going too well'' at the moment. But sure your thread is getting better and better.Lets hope trade catches up with the thread.

regards,

searchlight

Thanks searchlight, glad to know people are tuning in and enjoying it, there are no trade management rules or target price as yet with this system, I want to formulate these as the thread rolls on, we have entry and stop, the others will follow from the results and evaluation of the trades themselves.

Thanks

Lightning

Thanks searchlight, glad to know people are tuning in and enjoying it, there are no trade management rules or target price as yet with this system, I want to formulate these as the thread rolls on, we have entry and stop, the others will follow from the results and evaluation of the trades themselves.

Thanks

Lightning

Is the trade still open? 5 Min charts shows 12,545 as a good exit on that spike up. Volume increase leads me to consider a possible reversal point as many who were short with stops all got hit out.

Steve.

Is the trade still open? 5 Min charts shows 12,545 as a good exit on that spike up. Volume increase leads me to consider a possible reversal point as many who were short with stops all got hit out.

Steve.

I closed it out for 41 points steve - post 92

Great stuff, Don. :clap::clap:

Split

Thanks Split
I've been getting messages of support on what an easy form of trading this method makes, which makes me very pleased indeed, I'm missing messages from newbie traders, which makes me wonder if I've presented it in an easy to understand format or not.

Yes! people are making money with this already! I think this may catch on (y) :clap:

Hi LM, Great thread – I am very much enjoying watching the subject develop.

I hope that I might be able to add a few points to the many that have already been made.

End of part one!

Steve.

A much needed explanation on why we lose. I'm looking forward to more. There is this phsycological thing that feeds our mind the exact point that we refuse to accept a greater loss. That, time and time again for me, has been the point when we should be entering the market-- as you say. However, I have tried the bell curve idea, where the true value is where the most readings occur and on which Market Profile is based, but the problem always comes down to the same thing. Trend direction.

Tell us more, please, if you have the inclination.

Regards

Split