The Next US President

The EU is a club, not an empire.

I can see how you can get it wrong thinking UK is still one and not having it all her own way.

Carry on as you were...

So why did Roosevelt refer to Japan as the Empire of Japan when the USA was dragged kicking and screaming into WW2?

So Because a few words were mispelled in a tweet he is not qualified?
I guess the spell police have nothing better to do.

Peter

Well during the election campaign it was bpointed out that his government experience was none. He has never held any office. Public office is not the same as running a property business or being a celebrity.

When leading the World's superpower and being it's front man, there are essential role and responsibilities one needs to carry forward.

US needs to speak as one voice. Trump is not US and US is not Trump. Even in a small company, there is a whole body of people responsible for what is communicated out to the public. Whether it is the company secretary, HR or PR body, the message is drafted agreed and accepted and subsequently released.

Trump opens his mouth and Lockheed takes a dive. This is just the start.

We are talking about the USA here. Does Trump have dual roles? Is he also the WH Press Secretary now? Is Twitter a knew policy administration tool for the WH?

The spelling mistake is a bit like a fly in ones soup. Can be put aside and ignored. Question is do your really expect to find a fly in your soup? Do you recall seeing a fly in your soup before? Doesn't stop you from enjoying your soup but it should ring some bells about what's happening in the back office right?

This man is a walking calamity for the future US administration imo. I could be wrong yes. Good luck to you. (y)

Pentagon Says China to Return Drone; Trump Says They Can Keep It

Last edited:
So why did Roosevelt refer to Japan as the Empire of Japan when the USA was dragged kicking and screaming into WW2?

So Roosevelt thought Japan was an Empire did he? :rolleyes:

The EU is community of 28 countries, where membership needs to be applied for and subject to rules and terms be accepted by existing members.

I don't think anyone in the World refers to the EU Empire but there is always a first.

You the son of Roosevelt? :whistling

So Roosevelt thought Japan was an Empire did he? :rolleyes:

The EU is community of 28 countries, where membership needs to be applied for and subject to rules and terms be accepted by existing members.

I don't think anyone in the World refers to the EU Empire but there is always a first.

You the son of Roosevelt? :whistling

Probably:rolleyes:

The EU is empire building in all but name, hence the posters reply.

And it's matter I'm the son, why?:whistling

Probably:rolleyes:

The EU is empire building in all but name, hence the posters reply.

And it's matter I'm the son, why?:whistling

Well considering we still dish out MBE's, would explain how and why the UK may think it still is an empire and not be very good at working in friendship with our European partners. Having the strongest military in the EU may also lend to that sentiment.

EU is an administrative body, a club of countries with common goals and objectives with a democratic voting system. Hence, the names; European Economic Community and more recently the European Union. Otherwise it would be European Empire EE.

Calling a mule a horse doesn't make it a horse does it?

Not sure on the last line but no it doesn't matter what ever you are.

Last edited:
Well considering we still dish out MBE's, would explain how and why the UK may think it still is an empire and not be very good at working in friendship with our European partners. Having the strongest military in the EU may also lend to that sentiment.

EU is an administrative body, a club of countries with common goals and objectives with a democratic voting system. Hence, the names; European Economic Community and more recently the European Union. Otherwise it would be European Empire EE.

Calling a mule a horse does it make it a horse does it?

Not sure on the last line but no it doesn't matter what ever you are.

While I agree,the aspiration is there and in old money it would be called an Empire

Last edited:
I call the EU a bunch of no-hopers except for Germany with poor management.
When the bailouts get too much of a burden, Merkel and her beloved EU will be over.

While I agree,the aspiration is there and in old money it would be called an Empire

The aspiration was and it still is to avoid war, hunger and starvation.

In old money all previous empires were based on military might. We talking international trading and administration agreements here.

I go back to the mule example. A fly is like a bird but it isn't a bird is it. Aspirations and old money don't make empires. More like books and antiques to me.

Lost in translation perhaps.

Empires all fail due to............?
1. Over expanding
2. Civil war
3. Lack of recruits for forces.
4. Bankrupt businesses.
5. Lost purpose.
6. Local resentment at being taken over.
etc.

The Empire of Japan was the historical Japanese nation-state that existed from the Meiji Restoration in 1868 to the enactment of the 1947 constitution of modern Japan.

Imperial Japan's rapid industrialization and militarization under the slogan ***oku Kyōhei ("Enrich the Country, Strengthen the Armed Forces") led to its emergence as a world power and the establishment of a colonial empire. Economic and political turmoil in the 1920s led to the rise of militarism, eventually culminating in Japan's membership in the Axis alliance and the conquest of a large part of the Asia-Pacific region.

After several large-scale military successes during the Second Sino-Japanese War (1937–1945) and the Pacific War, the Empire also gained notoriety for its war crimes against the peoples it conquered. After suffering many defeats and following the Soviet Union's declaration of war against Japan and invasion of Manchuria, and the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, however, the Empire surrendered to the Allies on August 15, 1945.

--Wikipedia

Not quite the same thing as the EU.

Nice resource, Wikipedia.

The aspiration was and it still is to avoid war, hunger and starvation.

In old money all previous empires were based on military might. We talking international trading and administration agreements here.

I go back to the mule example. A fly is like a bird but it isn't a bird is it. Aspirations and old money don't make empires. More like books and antiques to me.

Lost in translation perhaps.

Avoid war that's how it started, but it has morphed into something else.

Currency union, erosion of democratic power, central court rule of law, joint army.

Starvation & hunger, tell that to the people of Greece and any member who dares challenge the central power.

Empires today are built on economic power and influenece. The EU has more off both when it's members are a collective.

The label of Empire to the EU is valid in my opinion.

I never think of Japan as an Empire but more of a waring nation. Simply took 50 years to knock'm back or less in some respects. What did they achieve but bad press and loss of their emperor god. Not my idea of an empire as it goes.

People throwing this word Empire around like there's no tomorrow.

ISIS thought they were establishing some great caliphate empire too. Didn't take them long to fold over.

I'm often amazed at what's so freaking great about being great. We are the greatest blah blah blah. Good for you I hope people enjoy their greatness.

The Roman empire was great imo. Lasted 1000 years. That's a great empire to talk about and spanned territories far and wide. The British empire was great too. Lasted all of about 200 years and spanned three quarters of the oceans and globe. Weren't interested in the other cold quarter.

I thought USA was great and a world super power. Obviously I was wrong and according to Trump it's not great for him as he can see how he'll make it greater. His started already even before his appointed President by inviting Russia to hack Hillary's emails and now tells China they can keep the underwater drone. Would I be wrong in thinking he'll soon steal one of their satellites and keep that for the US.

Have a great weekend guys. Best ever. :)
Thinks are going to work out just great.

Empires all fail due to............?
1. Over expanding
2. Civil war
3. Lack of recruits for forces.
4. Bankrupt businesses.
5. Lost purpose.
6. Local resentment at being taken over.
etc.

Let's not forget arrogance. After WWII was "won", for example, the US developed a very high opinion of itself, and after just a few years jumped into Korea with the idea they we could just knock that off in no time at all. After three years and no "winner", one would have thought that we had learned our lesson. But then came Viet Nam, which lasted twice as long as WWII and ended with our running away. What did we learn from that? That we didn't try hard enough. So when the Gulf War presented itself, we thought Hell, yes. End result being that we have few friends left and are thought of chiefly as a cartoon, cinched by electing a reality TV star as President of the United States.

Thus do empires fall.

Let's not forget arrogance. After WWII was "won", for example, the US developed a very high opinion of itself, and after just a few years jumped into Korea with the idea they we could just knock that off in no time at all. After three years and no "winner", one would have thought that we had learned our lesson. But then came Viet Nam, which lasted twice as long as WWII and ended with our running away. What did we learn from that? That we didn't try hard enough. So when the Gulf War presented itself, we thought Hell, yes. End result being that we have few friends left and are thought of chiefly as a cartoon, cinched by electing a reality TV star as President of the United States.

Thus do empires fall.

Don't forget Afghanistan! An ongoing disaster with no resolution.

If you analyse all modern wars, not many have reached a conclusion yet. Anywhere where troops are stationed are effectively still in conflict either overtly or covertly.

Don't forget Afghanistan! An ongoing disaster with no resolution.

If you analyse all modern wars, not many have reached a conclusion yet. Anywhere where troops are stationed are effectively still in conflict either overtly or covertly.

Actually Afghanistan was and is chiefly an extension of the Gulf War.

Lessons are repeated until they are learned. We have yet to learn. Humility is not part of our national makeup.

Bring back Reagan. He had charm, personality and let the gofors do the work. The USA's best President by far. Liked at home and abroad.