The Next US President

Obama IS weak, the US has just abstained from a vote banning Israeli settlements. He has made enemies from allies and doesn't support any allies that are left.

Peter

On this subject, you're treading on thin ice. In any event, Obama was. Trump will be.

ArtVoice--Carl Paladino, a former Republican nominee for governor of New York and an adviser to president-elect Trump, included the death of President Obama and “return” of first lady Michelle Obama to Africa on his list of things he wanted for 2017.

Peace through strength is what he has said. If the US does nothing other countries may surpass us.
Also Trump was responding to Putin's words about increasing military strength yet no one here or in the media makes any issues of that.

Peter

Bush initiated what was termed "tactical nuclear missiles" if I recall correctly. So I concur with article below.

Putin, who also said during his annual media conference that it was not Russia that started the nuclear arms race.

“The prerequisites for a new arms race were created after the US withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty. This is obvious,” he said on Friday during his annual Q&A session with the media earlier in the day.

Putin referred to a key international agreement reached in 1972, under which the US and the Soviet Union pledged not to undermine one another’s nuclear deterrence by developing means by which to intercept one another’s intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs).

President George W. Bush’s administration withdrew from this treaty in 2002, resulting in its termination. Russia responded by taking measures to ensure that America’s antimissile shield would not work well against Russian ICBMs, Putin said.

He then pointed out that the US is also upgrading its nuclear arsenal, including tactical nuclear weapons deployed in Europe.

“In Turkey, in Britain, in the Netherlands a replacement of American tactical nuclear weapons is underway,” he said, addressing a BBC correspondent who had asked about the nuclear issue. “I hope that your program audiences and internet users know about that.”

Therefore, if the two countries are engaged in a nuclear arms race, it was initiated by Washington, the Russian president said.

Putin did not say he was in or starting an arms race.

Later the same day, Trump’s spokesman Sean Spicer told CNN that the US president-elect just wanted to send a general message of strength to countries like Russia and China rather than announce real plans to build up the US nuclear arsenal.

"He is going to do what it takes to protect this country and if another country or countries want to threaten our safety and sovereignty, he is going to do what it takes," Spicer told CNN.

"If another country expands theirs [nuclear capability], the United States will act in kind ... but I do believe that it won't happen because I think what they have seen, domestically and internationally, is this is a man of action,” he added.

Meanwhile in an apparent attempt to calm tensions surrounding his comments, Trump said on Friday that he received "a very nice letter" from Putin, in which the Russian president called for better relations between the two countries, as reported by Reuters.

President or Plonker???

Diminishes US on global stage imo. (n)

Actually the "arms race" began at the end of WWII. The Rosenbergs were recruited in 1942, and the Russians conducted their first nuclear test in 1949.

Russia is adopting the usual "Who, me?" position.

Arms race started with two cavemen, where one had a club and the other didn't.

US broke past START agreements by developing tactical nuclear missiles.

Those two strutting peacocks could end planet earth and the human race etc. Why take the chance ?
About time there was a comprehensive nuclear treaty to scrap the missiles. But then one country would cheat I expect.
Only a matter of time before some lunatic sets it all off and goodbye everything !
Less posturing too before it becomes real.
Let's hope they have the courage to de-escalate.

Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada
Chile
China
Colombia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Guernsey
Hong Kong SAR China
Hungary
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Latvia
Madagascar
Malta
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Romania
Russia
Singapore
Slovakia
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Sri Lanka
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
United States
Uruguay
Venezuela

There is an argument that Trump may be trying to pry Russia away from it's China ally by offering to forget about The Crimea and reduce sanctions.
Could be.............

"Pandering to the baser fears and prejudices that lurk within us all is not what Presidents are for. Officials and candidates— and political parties—have a higher duty, a duty to lead, to search out and gather up and shout forth a better vision of ourselves. We do not only need someone to tell us what we look like when we are at our worst. We need someone to help us see what we can be when we are at our best.”

--Fred Harris

"Pandering to the baser fears and prejudices that lurk within us all is not what Presidents are for. Officials and candidates— and political parties—have a higher duty, a duty to lead, to search out and gather up and shout forth a better vision of ourselves. We do not only need someone to tell us what we look like when we are at our worst. We need someone to help us see what we can be when we are at our best.”

--Fred Harris

Ain't gonna happen !

The old skool has been replaced.

Ain't gonna happen !

The old skool has been replaced.

Trump's rich friends are going to get a lot richer soon. The Robber Barons from the 19th century are making a comeback.
Surprising how the poor in the US couldn't see it coming. Befuddled and brainwashed by The American Dream.

As I said, before, Pat. We'll have to wait and see. However, my worries are much the same as yours, I must admit. Even more than that, though, will we have a war?

It is dificult, in these times, to be optimistic, but I try. Not for my sake, but for the coming generations.

The real problem is not just DAESH, Isis, etc---they are incidental. It is the world populatiuon growth. That appears to be inexorable.

Let's see what Trump does.

Happy New Year to us all

As I said, before, Pat. We'll have to wait and see. However, my worries are much the same as yours, I must admit. Even more than that, though, will we have a war?

It is dificult, in these times, to be optimistic, but I try. Not for my sake, but for the coming generations.

The real problem is not just DAESH, Isis, etc---they are incidental. It is the world populatiuon growth. That appears to be inexorable.

Let's see what Trump does.

Happy New Year to us all

I agree about population growth. India's population triples every 30 to 40 years so it's about time they did something as drastic as China and limit families to 2 children.

Luton effect

I agree about population growth. India's population triples every 30 to 40 years so it's about time they did something as drastic as China and limit families to 2 children.

Someone once said that Luton was the city of the three "P's" - "People, Pox and Poverty."
Maybe the whole world is getting that way. Let's hope that Nature doesn't step in to solve our problems via more war, disasters and disease.
Let's hope the Americans don't start sabre rattling because China is on the up as a world economic power along with other Asian countries. But it's nice to see the ruling elite in America getting a punch on the nose by the voters and that the new President is offering the prospect of friendlier relations with Putin. Interesting New Year in prospect methinks.

This is hardly an American phenomenon alone. Europe, as well as England, is finally beginning to understand that "Austerity" is nothing more than a smokescreen for protecting the rich, and the promises made by leaders are little more than another form of Three Card Monte.