The Inland Revenue?

fwiw I would say that anybody who makes their living exclusively through trading are trader's.

people who don't fall into this category, myself included here, may trade but do not make a living trading. it would be the same as me hiring somebody who writes the odd computer programme at home to build ebay's portal and payment processing systems . I would refer to them as hobbyists, not professional system developers.

if people get hung up on title's then they're kind of missing the point.

if people get hung up on title's then they're kind of missing the point.

This is, actually, the most important thing imo. I see myself as an entrepreneur who just happens to be trading at the present time.

This probably contradicts something I said earlier this morning but that's ancient history, man...

This is, actually, the most important thing imo. I see myself as an entrepreneur who just happens to be trading at the present time.

This probably contradicts something I said earlier this morning but that's ancient history, man...

:LOL:David, you're not developing a complex are you?

These people know who they are, they were brave enough to smear the majority of the site as not being 'real traders', the question is are they brave enough to define what they actually meant?

A quick survey of the most active posters on trade2win.
The current (not banned) legendary members who have bothered to set status their as full time trader.

Home based
==========
bbmac
dbphoenix
Dinos
donaldduke
firewalker99
foale
foredog
gamma
Glenn
Grey1
Hooya
kitejedi
Grenadines
laptop1
Lee Shepherd
Mr. Charts
N Rothschild
nine
options
Paul71
Pippy5000
rav700
RidderTrade
rols
trader_dante
trendie

Prop Based
=========
arabiannights
directional
skills leverage

Bank/Hedge fund
===============
TWI

Based on this list and using the 'i know it when i see it test', i conclude there are very few 'real traders' who actively post on Trade2win.

Nevertheless I would consider some of the folk in that home list to be real traders.

Anyway as for forums for real traders... look out for an announcement tomorrow ;)

A quick survey of the most active posters on trade2win.
The current (not banned) legendary members who have bothered to set status their as full time trader.

Home based
==========
bbmac
dbphoenix
Dinos
donaldduke
firewalker99
foale
foredog
gamma
Glenn
Grey1
Hooya
kitejedi
Grenadines
laptop1
Lee Shepherd
Mr. Charts
N Rothschild
nine
options
Paul71
Pippy5000
rav700
RidderTrade
rols
trader_dante
trendie

Prop Based
=========
arabiannights
directional
skills leverage

Bank/Hedge fund
===============
TWI

Based on this list and using the 'i know it when i see it test', i conclude there are very few 'real traders' who actively post on Trade2win.

So if a person does not trade from home or does not earn the majority of thier income through trading activities then they are not to be classed as real trader? So someone on here (t2w) may earn 100k a year trading as a 'hobby', but they are not to be classed as a real trader? Conversely, someone who only earns 25k a year, but does this through trading only is to be classed as a real trader? Is this correct?

So if a person does not trade from home or does not earn the majority of thier income through trading activities then they are not to be classed as real trader? So someone on here (t2w) may earn 100k a year trading as a 'hobby', but they are not to be classed as a real trader? Conversely, someone who only earns 25k a year, but does this through trading only is to be classed as a real trader? Is this correct?

No i was just using robsters defintion in his previous post.
It is a very crude definition, but i was a good one to draw up a short list of 30 active posters who have declared they may be profitable enough to do this full time.

No i was just using robsters defintion in his previous post.
It is a very crude definition, but i was a good one to draw up a short list of 30 active posters who have declared they may be profitable enough to do this full time.

What is full-time? I personally don't consider someone who has taken early retirement but sits in thier study all day trading as a professional trader. That's my Jacobellis v. Ohio statement.

Somebody who has a reward ratio of 3 to risk one , and makes $200,000 a year from trading .They can have a second occupation and can work from anywhere including their yacht.Earns $200k but does not risk a dd of more than $60k

You're right DD - it was a very crude definition but one that distinguishes between making a profit or not, thus generating the majority of their taxable income. That's probably how HMRC would see it with regards to the definition of 'main income'.

I don't think the revenue would care too much if they inspected somebody who classified themselves as a 'trader' but constantly made a capital loss year on year and were subsiding their trading activities with other income.

Whether people call themselves a real trader or not or whether other people think they are real or not is entirely subjective and prone to the gambit of debate.

Whether people call themselves a real trader or not or whether other people think they are real or not is entirely subjective and prone to the gambit of debate.

True, we could debate this topic all day and never really come away with anything clear cut. I would like to refer to everyone on this site as a real trader, collectively we all share the same goal, trying to create borders and tiers doesn't seem to work that well at all.

We are all traders in here.

we just all have different levels of success and bankroll.