The FTSE

UKhero - u must be losing some bucks big style!!! - how do u survive with the errors that u make??

saj123 said:
UKhero - u must be losing some bucks big style!!! - how do u survive with the errors that u make??

I only bet when I'm 80% certain of the FTSE's direction.

Tomorrow no bet.

UK

The FTSE Friday, 28th October 2005

Thursdays results:

Open: 5227.

Close: 5182, down 45pts. I watched it fall to 44pts at 10am, then went long, closing the position for a gain of 16 points before it fell again. I'm happy.

Range: 5182 - 5236.

Dow: 10,229, down 115pts. Not expected.

News items of note:

Yahoo Finance - 'Tony Blair has issued a stark warning to Iran's leaders that the world would not allow them to undermine international peace and security. As European leaders united to condemn hardline President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's call for Israel to be "wiped off the map", the Prime Minister said that Tehran's behaviour was "totally unacceptable". Speaking at the end of an informal EU summit at Hampton Court, he said that he would be consulting over the coming days with Britain's key allies over what steps they could take.' - The situation is changing from warm to hot.

My girlfriend informs me that she had heard at work, that there was a possibility of a three day working week this coming winter due to a potential oil shortage. Anyone heard similar? Such is rumour!

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday indicated a small rise. Tomorrow, no clear indication.

Companies reporting: None to shake the market.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's well down so the FTSE will have to go some from its initial opening to make up for Thursdays unpredicted large loss.

Early gut feeling: none.

Will I bet? No.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

ukhero said:
Its almost over, Dildubai.

Hope your stop gap kicked in. Trading at 5234 at the moment.

Yours

UK
sorry late reply mate. Thanks. Actually I chickened out at the last minute and did not look at FTSE once it went above 5192. Went into EURUSD instead. Did ok there. I am now looking for another trade in the FTSE again. But not in a hurry to enter unless I am positive.

Cheers mate

The FTSE's doing well at the moment considering at 10am it was well down at 5157.

The DOW has yet to open but Spread Betting companies are anticipating a rise.

Rio Tinto [my favourite] has been recommended by brokers as a 'buy,' it's now on the march.

All being even the FTSE should rise further.

Sweet trading to all.

UK

The FTSE Monday, 31st October 2005

Fridays results:

Open: 5182.

Close: 5213, up 30pts.

Range: 5157 - 5226.

Dow: 10,402, up 172pts. I anticipated a medium rise, didn't bet and didn't anticipated such a major rise.

News items of note:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - 'The Federal Reserve is widely expected to raise U.S. interest rates this week, so investors will scrutinize economic data for signs of inflation and focus on corporate outlooks for hints of weakness.'

LONDON (ShareCast) - 'London's top shares enjoyed a topsy turvy day after stocks soared and dived with good GDP growth in the US giving the last minute push needed to aid the Footsie.' - And I believe the Bulls will still be there come Monday morning.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Fridays was no clear indication. Monday states a rise.

Historical data: in the last ten years the FTSE has only fallen once on the last day of October, the DOW twice.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the FTSE has been itching for a major rise since Thursday, but events have proved un-favourable, until now. With the DOW's colossal rise on Friday I anticipate the FTSE rising at least by 35pts. Although the Market will open up by 12pts plus, I still see room for financial gain. Good luck.

Early gut feeling: a strong early rise.

Will I bet? Already have.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

Hi friends. Getting a short-term sell signal again on my hourly FTSE chart. Looks good for 25 pts. Will sell as close to 5260 as possible or on a move below 5248. Target 25 pts from entry with stop above 5265.

Good trades

Dildubai

FTSE still rising. Will wait for a turn down before entering. Could rise to 5285-5290 before turning down.

Dildubai

)--U.K. consumers became less confident in October as they became more uncertain about the economic outlook and their personal financial prospects.

According to a survey published by GfK NOP Monday, the headline index of consumer confidence fell to -8 from -5 in September. It was the lowest level since March 2003.

"We continue to see the nation in subdued mood compared with the earlier part of 2005," said Grant Montague, divisional director at GfK NOP. "Confidence continues on a downward trend - this is the third consecutive month that we have seen the index fall."

The decline in confidence came as a surprise. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones Newswires had expected the confidence measure to be unchanged at -5.

The weakening of confidence suggests the slowdown in consumer spending that began last year will continue, although the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee is unlikely to cut interest rates soon given its concern about the rise in inflationary pressures over recent months.

Racer said:
)--U.K. consumers became less confident in October as they became more uncertain about the economic outlook and their personal financial prospects.

According to a survey published by GfK NOP Monday, the headline index of consumer confidence fell to -8 from -5 in September. It was the lowest level since March 2003.

"We continue to see the nation in subdued mood compared with the earlier part of 2005," said Grant Montague, divisional director at GfK NOP. "Confidence continues on a downward trend - this is the third consecutive month that we have seen the index fall."

The decline in confidence came as a surprise. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones Newswires had expected the confidence measure to be unchanged at -5.

The weakening of confidence suggests the slowdown in consumer spending that began last year will continue, although the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee is unlikely to cut interest rates soon given its concern about the rise in inflationary pressures over recent months.

So true, Racer.

I based today's trading on Historical data which clearly indicted a strong rise for today regardless of past economic data, which is more important for long term strategy rather then a single days trading.

FTSE finishing high today, + 95 points as I write.

I've cancelled my long. I'm a happy Bull.

UK

Hey,
what do you guys think of tommorow? Surely some profit taking will cause some shares to drop.
Regards

Stancer

The FTSE Tuesday, !st November 2005

Mondays results:

Open: 5213.

Close: 5317, up 103pts. The second highest rise this year.

Range: 5213 - 5318.

Dow: 10,440, up 37pts.

News items of note:

Forbes.com - 'Workers of Royal Dutch Shell PLC in the Netherlands began a phased shutdown of Europe's largest oil refinery on Monday in a dispute over pensions. A demonstration by hundreds of workers failed to end the stalemate with the company over pension changes before the 6 p.m. (noon EST) deadline set by the unions for launching strikes at two Dutch installations.'

Canada.com - 'Forecasts for warmer weather in the U.S. helped push oil prices below $60 US a barrel Monday, and traders said there was also some focus on an OPEC official's comment that the cartel had "more than adequate" excess production capacity to meet this winter's expected global demand. Light sweet crude for December delivery lost $1.32 to $59.90 US a barrel in midday trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange. In London, December Brent futures fell $1.01 to $58.41 a barrel.'

MSNBC - 'The Federal Reserve is expected to hike short-term interest rates by another quarter-percentage point Tuesday with no indication that its 16-month-old campaign to tighten monetary policy is nearing an end.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Monday stated a rise. Tuesday a rise.

Historical data: The 1st November is another strong day for a rise, rising seven times over the past ten years for an average 26pts; add to this the last trading day of October and we have an average rise for the two days of 76pts. A rise today of 103pts is a bit heavy, therefore we may see the FTSE slip tomorrow by 29pts or rise by the same. But enough of raw data.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: there was a number of factors which added to the FTSE dramatic rise today and I believe there's a strong chance of a moderate rise again tomorrow. The DOW's up; charts and news indicate a rise.

Early gut feeling: a small to medium rise.

Will I bet? Rolling over a small part of Mondays bet. Stop gap is tight.

yours

UK

Oil fallen a lot also big sell off in US within 15 mins of close and futures continue to fall

stancer123 said:
Hey,
what do you guys think of tommorow? Surely some profit taking will cause some shares to drop.
Regards

Stancer

Hi Stancer,

Yes there will be profit taking tomorrow. How much, and will it adversely effect the market sufficiently to mark it down, is the big question. I say no! But I've been wrong numerous times before.

UK

Racer said:
Oil fallen a lot also big sell off in US within 15 mins of close and futures continue to fall

Noted. Droped some 28pts in just as many minutes.

To be honest, I'm not sure how the market will react if, and I believe it will, the rates are raised again tomorrow.

UK

The FTSE Historically

November over the past ten years:

YEAR RESULT

2004 + 82

2003 + 55

2002 + 130

2001 + 164

2000 - 296

1999 + 346

1998 + 289

1997 - 46

1996 + 76

1995 + 147

So what does the above tell us? Only in a strong rising market will we see a 200 - 300 point gain for the month.

IMO, we are in a neutral / potentialy faltering market.

Therefore, I don't anticipate a rise beyond 150pts at the end of the month, assuming it rises.

In general, November is well known for its small ups and downs, 5 and 25 points being the common range. If I'm correct, there will be very little to be made for us Spread Betters!

It all sounds a bit like a weather forecast!

As always, lets see.

UK

Any one feeling bearish on the ftse.....I am but I will wait for it to have its morning run and there after I will be shorting the ftse....Today I am assuming that it will be a quiet day for the ftse as they will be all awaiting the to hear the mins from the Fomc....In all the last 8 meetings the Dow has dropped over 70 points what make this one any different......I cant see anything not at this point and also my belief that dow needs to reach 10,000 at lest once before the bull run is still intact...hence the ftse might react in co-relation to the dow....so I am expecting to see the ftse fall atlest 25- 30 point come Wednesday morning...
Only time will tell
Happy trading guys......
Any one notice the big falls in the last 15 min of trading today on the dow....
It nearly lost all its gains.....

I agree with Ukhero that a moderate rise but I do expect a very short range of trading for ftse for tommorow after the inital rise about a 20 point range.....

Happy trading every one
Take care

FTSE Short-term

Hi mates.

Just looking at my short-term charts and it looks like FTSE is about to start a decline. Not a major one maybe but good for daytraders. Anyone see the Index down from current levels today? last quote on my broker 5299/5303. Uusually 2 pts spread but when UK closed it reverts to 4 pts spread.

I am seriously considering a short around these levels with a stop above the high seen so far this week around 5323. Any input appreciated mates.

Cheers