The FTSE

The FTSE Monday, 17th October 2005

Fridays results:

Open: 5265.

Close: 5275, up 9pts.

Range: 5245 - 5293.

For the month: a total of 202pts down; first week 115pts, second week 87pts.

According to my data, the first 3 days of this coming week will denote where the market will finish at the end of the month. If the FTSE stumbles further we will see an additional 125 -200 point drop. However, if it rises the market will slowly claw back all its earlier looses to end up right back where it started.

Dow: 10,285, up a healthy 70pts.

News items of note:

Forbes.com - 'Wall Street is hoping that this week's cascade of corporate earnings reports will help the markets overcome an October scare prompted by increasing concerns that economic growth could skid to a halt. Investors are still worried that the economy may not be able to sustain itself if high gasoline and heating costs prompt consumers to spend less just as companies opt to raise prices to cover their own rising costs.' - Another interesting week ahead.

FT.com - 'Bank of England statistics reveal that we owe £931.8bn on our homes and £190.5bn on our credit cards. Figures from the DTI show that individual insolvencies rose by 36.8 per cent to 15,394 in the second quarter of 2005 compared to a year earlier. Nor have companies remained unscathed: corporate liquidations jumped to 3,342 in the second quarter, a 6 per cent rise on a year earlier and an 11.7 per cent jump on the first quarter. Bad debt provisions at banks are also rising with HSBC and Barclays (NYSE:BCS) each reporting a 20 per cent increase and HBOS reporting a 25 per cent jump.'

Sky News - 'Manufacturers saw a sharp slowdown in sales in the third quarter although the services sector fared better, says the British Chambers of Commerce. The net balance for home sales in the manufacturing sector tumbled to 3% in the third quarter from 19 in the second, the lowest since Q3, 2003.That came as home orders fell and export orders and sales showed their worst performance in a year.But services, account for most of the economy, improved.The net balance for home sales in the services sector rose 1% to 13% as a rise in home orders offset an easing in the balances for services export sales and orders.Both of those fell to a year low.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: a medium rise. I've been studying them at length over the weekend and if we accept the results what we'll see for the next two days is a rise. Monday will be a see-saw rise to test the 5300 barrier and Tuesday will move beyond and slap 5327. We'll see.

Companies reporting: Superscape.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: being a bull by nature its been exceptionaly difficult for me to accept and act upon the blatantly obvious in regards to economic news. In fact, all data has been pointing south since the beginning of the month and the two main questions to be asked are, 'are we at the bottom yet, ' and 'are we going up now.'

Gut feeling: a rise of 24pts by the end of play.

Will I bet? Yup.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

Euro_d said:
Morning all,
Well UK, I have been on the sidelines for a couple of days for the simple reason that both the DAX & UKX have been a bitch to trade. My signals were simply not getting confirmed so being a cautious sort of a chap (with money that is) traded very little. The DAX swung wildly but with no clear reason.
Actually, the FTSE was a clearer market to trade yesterday which is somewhat unusual. Anyway, I was not in.

Doublesix, I don't know where you get the idea that those of us who have moved to Spain lose our humour? As far as I know we are 2 on this thread who have abandoned Blighty (Split and I) and we are laughing our "£%"$ off.
BTW is your ID taken from the famous Jaguar double six?

Good trading to all, I will have a look at the market open and if I see the same haze as yesterday I am off to play golf in the sun, he he heee!

Dave

Its raining as I write. Spain! Golf! Don't rub it in! :cool:

The markets were very volatile last week. I believe they will become more settled in the days ahead and therefore more predictable.

UK

As I write, one of the spread betting companies that I frequent, from time to time, have the following markets as opening:

FTSE: +53 and fluctuating.

DOW: -11 and dropping.

Interesting!

Draw your own conclusions from that.

If the UK market opens bullish and the American market open bear, we'll see an early mid morning rise followed by an end of day drop.

As always, lets see which hat the FTSE wears in the morning.

Yours

UK

Yes UK, the market has been difficult these last couple of weeks. I too have the same problem as you in that I am basically a bull and find it difficult to act on sell signals.
It is now 30 minutes to market open and the FTSE is called up about 10, the DAX is up almost 20.
Far East has been weak and the DOW futures remain called down 20.
Agree, conflicting signals.

I am looking for a clear break of 5300 before I go long. OTOH, if we break down to 5250 I shall be looking for a short but very aware of a bounce from that level. The bull in me!

Good luck to all

Dave

mmm, i've got 11 of my ftse14 (highest caps) down and only 3 up - it's only oil keeping ftse positive.

good trading

jon

barjon said:
mmm, i've got 11 of my ftse14 (highest caps) down and only 3 up - it's only oil keeping ftse positive.

good trading

jon

Hi Barjon,

Oil related, Technicals and the Miners shuffled the FTSE up today. I'd like to think they still have some wind left for tomorrow.

UK

The FTSE Tuesday, 18th October 2005

Mondays results:

Open: 5275.

Close: 5286, up 11pts.

Range: 5272 - 5297. A swing of 25pts to finish slightly lower then I anticipated.

Dow: 10,348, up a healthy 60pts.

News items of note:

LONDON (ShareCast) - 'Oil and mining stocks dominated the FTSE 100, bouncing back strongly from last week's sell-off. Reports of a new storm forming in the Caribbean triggered fears it may hamper production in the Gulf of Mexico, which sparked a rise in crude prices and the oil majors, BP , Shell and BG.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: a moderate rise.

Companies reporting:

Arm Pre Mkt
Bellway Pre Mkt
Diageo Pre Mkt
Sage Pre Mkt
Mouchel Parkman Pre Mkt
Salvesen Pre Mkt

That's more then enough companies to rattle the market. Also, there's several results due out tomorrow on UK's economics. Should make for an interesting day

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's up; plenty of companies reporting; charts dictate a rise. How many clues do we need! But lets not be Bull headed, economic data is the one to watch and of late the markets have proved over sensitive to bad news. Watch closely.

Early gut feeling: I'm 85% confident of a rise.

Will I bet? Why not.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

Additional news:

I've been watching the evening news. It seems that Identity Fraud [IF] has caught the public eye as its escalating to biblical proportions. True.

I'm in the banking sector and I know how serious 'IF' is, and I would estimate that claims quadrupled in this year alone with the banks covering the loss with their 'Fraud Guarantee.'

Take note, its here to stay and its going to get far worse.

Do bear in mind that the major UK Banks make hundreds of millions per annum, but in general, buyers still wont like this negative news as it will reduce a companies profits.

All said and done, and in my view, notch the bank sector down tomorrow morning and adjust your daily prediction accordingly.

UK

The FTSE Wednesday, 19th October 2005

Tuesdays results:

Open: 5286.

Close: 5263, down 22pts. I got my butt well and truly kicked for the first time this month.

Range: 5259 - 5303.

Dow: 10,303, down 44pts.

News items of note:

Sky Business - 'Oil prices slipped below $64, losing some of Monday's gains on news that the path of a new storm means it may miss hurricane-battered Gulf of Mexico oil facilities. Tropical Storm Wilma has gained strength in the Caribbean Sea but shifted its expected path to the east toward Florida, says the latest forecast from the US National Hurricane Centre.This could make it less of a threat to US oil and gas operations in the Gulf of Mexico and refining operations on the Gulf Coast than had been expected on Monday.

Did you know: 'As much as 66.4% of the Gulf of Mexico region's normal 1.5m barrels per day production is still shut in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.'

LONDON (ShareCast) -'London's blue chips fell back after the mining sector lost most of its gains and oil majors fell on lower crude price, while concerns over US inflation also weighed.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: yesterday they stated a moderate rise! So much for charts. Tomorrow, no clear indication, so we might see very little movement.

Companies reporting:
Rio Tinto RIO.L UK Q3 Output Pre Mkt - - My favorite.
St James's Place STJ.L UK Q3 New Biz Pre Mkt
Provalis PRO.L UK Year Pre Mkt
Abbott Lab ABT.N US Q3 Post Mkt
Bank of America BAC.N US Q3 Post Mkt
eBay EBAY.O US Q3 Post Mkt
United Technologies UTX.N US Q3 Post Mkt

A good selection of companies to shake some sense into the market.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's down; a good selection of companies; charts are neutral; no clear indication.

Early gut feeling: either way by 12pts.

Will I bet? I'm letting yesterdays loss roll over with a slight adjustment to its stop gap. But to be honest I'm not confident of a major rise, but a small one would be nice.

yours

UK

One thing about you.....you are very honest person...

I had a short oct trade open at the 5502 level and have not been trading since then....
hence I have not been on the boards to pass my comments.....
But I will be starting my intraday trading from 23rd onwards again
once again thanks for all your help uk hero

Agreed, oils are a major FTSE component. If RIO has unpleasant news then we are in for a major drop!
SB'ers are calling the FTSE down 33, the DAX about 20 down.

My Camarilla calcs show shorts below 5240! I shall be placing an opening short but as always will be ready for a fade in the first 15 mins or so.
There is support at 5220 and 5190.
Should be an interesting day

Dave

rav700 said:
One thing about you.....you are very honest person...

I had a short oct trade open at the 5502 level and have not been trading since then....
hence I have not been on the boards to pass my comments.....
But I will be starting my intraday trading from 23rd onwards again
once again thanks for all your help uk hero

Honest! I just believe in being open. Loss or gain I'll pen it.

Well done on the short for Oct, I cancelled mine far too early. Must have more conviction with my long term predictions.

For the recored:

Ulysses Kingstable Hero

Now you know why its

UK

The FTSE Thursday, 20th October 2005

Wednesdays results:

Open: 5263.

Close: 5167, down a whopping 96pts. Thankfully my stop gap pulled me out early, add to this a contra spread bet and I walked away with only a moderate loss, -33pts.

Range: 5167 - 5263. It went down and kept on dropping.

Dow: 10,414, up 128pts. - 182pt swing.

News items of note:

MSNBC - 'Hurricane Wilma doesn’t stop making history: It is the strongest, most intense Atlantic hurricane in terms of barometric pressure and the most rapidly strengthening on record. A hurricane hunter plane flying through the Category 5 storm’s eye found a minimum central pressure of 882 millibars, National Hurricane Center forecasters said Wednesday. That is lower than the 888 millibars recorded in Hurricane Gilbert in 1988. The lowest pressure at landfall on record is 892 millibars in the 1935 Labor Day hurricane in the Florida Keys, which was blamed for more than 400 deaths.' - On this news alone, I'm surprised as to why oil hasn't risen!

LONDON (AFX) - 'Leading shares extended already heavy losses in midafternoon deals as a poor start on Wall Street added to diminishing hopes of an impending rate cut in the UK, dealers said.' - Some mucho heavy selling today and the cause was not solely related to the American Markets, it is something else. Its difficult to find an underlining factor for today's panic selling, but I would nominate the 'recognition and appraisal of the worlds economy' as the main culprit.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: yesterday stated a 'no clear indication,' tomorrow shows a rise.

Companies reporting: too few to make an impact on there own.

Economic data:
LAST PREDICTED

09.30 UK Retail sales - mth Sep 0.0% 0.6%
09.30 UK Retail sales - yr Sep 0.8% 0.4%
09.30 UK Public finances - PSNB Sep 4.8 4.0
09.30 UK Public finances - PSNCR GBPbn Sep 4.6 9.0

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: Oil and mining companies are the ones to watch tomorrow; far to big a drop for one days trading; the DOW's back up with a vengeance - which all support a strong early rise.

Early gut feeling: a 96pt drop is too much and too quick for one day, so a rise.

Will I bet? Well I need to get my points back somehow, so yes. To be honest, I'm not overly confident, unlike yesterday when I got it wrong, so I'll be sensible with my entry and exit tomorrow. Better to gain a little then to lose a lot.

yours

UK

Morning UK et al,
Well UK, I wish you luck with your recovery of the loss yesterday, as we all know, 100% accuracy is not possible. I agree we will certainly get an opening pop on the back of the US reversal.
I personally am not convinced that all the FTSE worries will simply go away. We are up on the SB'ers but have fallen from the overnight highs.

Personally, I will be looking for an opening pop (which I rarely trade) and then a fade which I will probably go for and continue to trade the swings throughout the day.
It depends on how far away we rise/fall toward 5205.

I see 5205 as key for 2 reasons,
1, round numbers are always pivots irrespective of technicals
2, we have a technical fulcrum at this level.

If we are in for a bull session I shall also be buying into the miners.

Good trading to all,
Dave

The FTSE Friday, 21st October 2005

Thursdays results:

Open: 5167.

Close: 5164, down 3pts. Also a drop of 111pts on the week.

Range: 5146 - 5234. Thankfully I made 17pts before it fell, but I'm still down on the week.

Dow: 10,281, down 133pts. Ouch!

News items of note:

LONDON (AFX) - 'World oil prices plunged to three-month lows on relief that Hurricane Wilma is forecast to miss battered energy infrastructures in the US Gulf of Mexico, dealers said. Traders were also absorbing news of a surprise rise in US crude and gasoline reserves from the previous day. New York's main contract, light sweet crude for delivery in November, plunged 2.01 usd to 60.40 usd per barrel in pit trading, after earlier hitting 59.85 usd for the first time since July 28. In London, the price of Brent North Sea crude for December delivery plummeted 1.13 usd to 57.47 usd per barrel in electronic deals, after earlier touching 57.12 usd -- its lowest level since July 25. Crude futures in New York are now some 15 pct lower since reaching a historic 70.85 usd per barrel on August 30, after Hurricane Katrina damaged oil installations in the US Gulf.' - Buyers of Oil really dont know which way to go. Some are buying others selling, there's no definitive direction. Even so its one of the key factors pulling the markets down.

Sky News - 'The chances of taxes rising to fill a hole in the UK's public finances have grown further. Public sector net borrowing - the amount the Treasury borrows - hit £5.2bn in September. That was £500m more than the same time a year ago. It was also worse than the £4.4bn expected by economists. They are warning Chancellor Gordon Brown that he must either raise taxes or cut back on his much-vaunted spending on improving public services in the UK. To date, Mr Brown has borrowed £22.9bn of his annual target of £31.9bn - and he is exactly half way through the financial year.' - More long term doom and gloom ahead.

Reading several news sites I'm finding it impossible to find any news that would create a lift for the FTSE tomorrow.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: yesterday stated a rise, which it did for a while. Tomorrow, a rise. But the charts don't take the American markets into consideration or long term news.

Companies reporting: no major companies reporting.

Economic data:
LAST PREDICTED
09.30 UK GDP - qtr Q3 0.5% 0.4%
09.30 UK GDP - yr Q3 1.5% 1.6%

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: If not for the DOW dropping by a whopping 133pts I would have said a rise of between 15-27pts. But lets be realistic, I can see it falling again by 35pts before lunch.

Early gut feeling: another down.

Will I bet? hesitant. The FTSE's dropped to quick this week. Tomorrow it should drop by 35pts due to the DOW, but after that its debatable.

yours

UK