The FTSE 2006

All in cash luckily , expecting the FTSE to be hit tommorrow, US indices nearly all down 1.5-2.5% currently. Retest of recernt lows looks in order with possible break spelling substantial moves lower. Time to revisit the charts for new potential support and resistance levels!

The FTSE, Tuesday 6th June 2006

Monday's results:
Close: 5762, down 2.5pts [0.04%]
Range: 5789 - 5738.

Last 5 TD: down 0.45%.
OTM: 0.67%.

The FTSE wondered around today like a chicken with its head chopped off not knowing which way to go, and compared to the CAC and DAX it was let of lightly.

DOW:

11048, down 199pts [1.77%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.02%.
OTM: -1.06%

S&P 500
1265.29, down 22.93pts [1.78%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.13%.
OTM: -0.35%.

News items of note:
Worth a read: Telegraph, Manufacturing at strongest in a decade.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/06/05/uecon05.xml

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Monday had no clear direction. Tuesday a drop.

The PoM System: -3.75, interpretation: a drop.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
Severn Trent

Economic Data:
None

Areas to watch: Oil - still unstable- and miners - can go either way.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the US markets took a tumble after the UK market closed so expect the FTSE to open down 15-22pts; charts and PoM predict a drop; company news, in general, is positive; company results and ED will not effect the FTSE tomorrow; the miners are still the one to watch, they seem to be pausing for breath and may go either way.

Early gut feeling: a drop. If the miners follow the same path as yesterday, I see the FTSE down 40pts before the US markets open and a possible reversal by end of play. Lets see.

Will I bet? Closed my SB Long today for a gain of 72pts; waited all day long for the market to settle in order for a Binary short, it never happened. Ar well. With a predicted early heavy drop and with the possibility of the US markets reversing, its worth a Binary Long if the odds are good.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Wednesday 7th June 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 5669, down 92pts [1.60%]
Range: 5762 - 5656.

Last 5 TD: down 0.93%.
OTM: -0.93%.

As anticipated the FTSE opened down sharply; the miners dragged it further south and then the coup d' etat from the US markets.

DOW:
11002, down 46pts [0.42%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.48%.
OTM: -1.48%

S&P 500
1263.85, down 1.44pts [0.11%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.34%.
OTM: -0.47%.

News items of note:
None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday stated a drop. Wednesday a rise.

The PoM System: -5.00, interpretation: a rise.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
Cadbury Schweppes
Easyjet

Economic Data:
None
Note: BOE on 9th June.

Areas to watch: miners.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: expect the FTSE to open up 10-12pts; charts and PoM agree with a rise; inflation fears have taken there toll but I think that's about enough, and so, whether the market rises or falls hereafter will now depend on other factors; company results are expected to be positive; metal prices are still moving south which in turn effects the miners.

Early gut feeling:
a rise.

Will I bet? Going Long.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Thursday 8th June 2006

Wednesday's results:
Close: 5706, up 36pts [1.60%]
Range: 5720 - 5638.

Last 5 TD: down 0.29%.
OTM: -0.29%.

DOW:
10930, down 71pts [0.65%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.13%.
OTM: -2.13%

S&P 500
1256.15, down 7.70pts [0.61%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.08%.
OTM: -1.08%.

News items of note:
None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday stated a rise. Thursdays, no strong indication but they still favour a gradual rise.

The PoM System: @ evens, interpretation: a 'no bet.'

Companies reporting:
Astrazeneca. I'm expecting a good report.
BAA [traffic]

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Industrial production Apr 0.7% 0.6%
12:00 UK Bank of England rate announcement [and yes, it's the one to watch].

Areas to watch: Miners - strong possibility of a rise. Oil - set to dip slightly lower.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the US markets reversed late in the day which will cause an early morning headache for the FTSE, expect the market to open down 8pts; charts are not clear but favour the rise and the PoM recommends a 'no bet;' company results are expected to be positive, but the ED is the one to watch.

Early gut feeling: Early fall. Late rise.

Will I bet? Wednesday was a good day. I'll be holding back tomorrow as I can see the FTSE swinging like a pendulum.

Yours

UK

here is my thoughts for tomorrow: - (probably wrong)

FTSE (cash figs) down in the morning 5675-5685 ish - and recovers in the afternoon morning

Will be going long thursday afternoon around 5680 ish.- hopefully to close around 5740-5750. on friday afernoon

Regards

Sean

sean01 said:
here is my thoughts for tomorrow: - (probably wrong)

FTSE (cash figs) down in the morning 5675-5685 ish - and recovers in the afternoon morning

Will be going long thursday afternoon around 5680 ish.- hopefully to close around 5740-5750. on friday afernoon

Regards

Sean

Sean,

I agree with the Short in the morning, but the afternoon / Friday is still unclear. Best play it safe. There'll be other days more predictable then this.

The market is nervous. The market is not falling in line with charts and data. Sometimes you have to step back and watch. I think tomorrow is one of those days.

UK

UK, Ouch, only if you are holding positions before the open, extremely volatile times at the moment. I've nothing open at the minute, watching and waiting, difficult to really intrepret whats going to happen, but I intend waiting until the intrest rates decision before revisiting charts and deciding what to do..

Is this the retest of the lows or more support giving way (not much support really!). Most be alot feeling the pain today....everything is hammered yet again.

luckily I stayed out and just watched it drop- I thought that it would come off in the morning and go up for one more leg - before comming down.

looks like it it just came straight down.

cheers UK for you advice.

downbytheriver7 said:
no looking for some small longs today though across the baord FTSE, NDX and SPX
I had a great day on the ftse---called the long@78 and closed at 33=+55 points....
I dont know why but my ftse calls seem to be getting better and better....hope this lasts

Thanks for you comments mate :cheesy:

rav700 said:
I had a great day on the ftse---called the long@78 and closed at 33=+55 points....
I dont know why but my ftse calls seem to be getting better and better....hope this lasts

Thanks for you comments mate :cheesy:

yeap turned out ok for me, long the NDX and SPX and will enter the FTSE possibly tonight or pre-market. bought the despair in the US and went home, after a pleasant BBQ turned on cnbc to see the market had turned, perfecto...now bring on the world cup!!!!!!!

The FTSE, Friday 9th June 2006

Thursday's results:
Close: 5562, down 143pts [2.51%]
Range: 5706 - 5562.

Last 5 TD:
down 3.51%.
OTM: -2.80%.

If someone had said, 'we'll dip below year open sometime early June,' I would have expected that person to be carted away in a white van. But here we are.

DOW:
10938, up 7pts [0.07%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.88%.
OTM: -2.05%

S&P 500
1257.93, up 1.78pts [0.14%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.17%.
OTM: -0.94%.

News items of note:
Telegraph - 'House prices crept ahead just 0.1pc in May as the mini-revival in the property market showed further signs of running out of steam, figures from Britain’s biggest mortgage lender Halifax showed.

Worth a read:
Gold producers see good times ahead.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060608/bs_nm/minerals_summit_prices_dc_2

and:
Europe hikes rates as BOE plays 'wait and see'
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,16849-2216521,00.html#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=Business

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursdays had no strong indication but favoured a gradual rise. Quack! Quack ups! Friday, a rise.

The PoM System: 5.25, interpretation: a rise.

Companies reporting:
None.

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Trade in goods & services GBPbn

Areas to watch: Miners.; Oil is expected to drop a tad further tomorrow but it's not expected to have a dramatic impact on the market.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the US markets also had a topsy turvy day hitting a high 10964 [0.30%] DOW and 1059.85 [0.29%] S&P before falling back and finishing on a small but positive gain. But even as I write the SB companies are indicating a further decline. Expect the FTSE to open up 15-20pts; charts state a rise which is also supported with the PoM result; no CR and ED is tame; miners fell back overly hard today on falling metal prices, tomorrow I'm expecting a reverse or a small decline.

Early gut feeling:
Early rise.

Will I bet? Well, Thursday I said the market would swing like a pendulum and I was pretty much on the ball. Glad I stayed on the fence.Tomorrow, I'm not sure. We could see a 70pt rise if factors fall in line or a 40pt drop by end of play if the US markets slide further. I'll go with the PoM result.

Yours

UK

Hi -my view - FTSE up this morning- will be comming off today- will be going short