The FTSE 2006

Still don't think we've seen capitulation selling yet.

FTSE now down on the year but not by much.

Morris,

You could be right on that issue. There's no mistake about it that the markets are getting increasingly nervous.

I'm not sure whether I should be pleased about my decision to sit on the fence this morning or annoyed that I didn't go a Short!

UK

Yes, just under two hours before market open, you could have locked on to the pre-market trend with a 'Sell' at 5650 and collected under three hours later at circa 5540.
Right now it is very choppy and predictions are not for the faint hearted.

I'll make a prediction. We've seen the bottom at 5542 it's back up to 6800 by the end of the year. Time to bring out the king

Well the low on the cash so far is 5538.89, so we've broken that 5542 already.

I favour a capitilation sell - off over the pond, say < 1220 but who knows what they will do...

Have to admit it I added quite abit of capital today at these levels - in the red so far but will see where the near term takes us. Quite a few indicators pointing to extreme bearish views and thats bullish for me.

The FTSE, Tuesday 23rd May 2006

Monday's results:
Close: 5532, down 124pts [2.20%]
Range: 5657 - 5532.

Last 5 TD: down 5.36%.
OTM: -8.36%.

Monday's DOW:
11125, down 18pts [0.17%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.67%.
OTM: -2.10%

Thursday's S&P 500
1262.06 down 4.97 [0.39%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.52%.
OTM: -3.73%.

News items of note:

Metal prices slump further
(Filed: 22/05/2006) Telegraph

Copper, aluminum and silver prices in Asia fell as much as 4pc, and gold slipped 2.2pc, on speculation that a rally in the metals has ended as investors deemed their rise to levels not seen for decades was overdone.

Copper stockpiles rose by almost a fifth last week to a 12 week high and aluminum inventories gained 1.6pc, the Shanghai Futures Exchange said May 19. Commodity prices tracked by the Reuters/Jefferies CRB Futures Price Index tumbled 6.4 percent last week, the biggest drop since 1980.

Nicholas Chung, a general manager at Tong Yang Futures Trading's international business team, said: "The consensus is that the bubble has burst." Chung had expected spot gold to plunge from $657.60 an ounce on May 19 to $650 today. It dropped as low as $642.90.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Monday's predicted a rise. Tuesday's a rise.

The PoM System: +1.25, interpretation: a rise.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
British Land & Co
Kazakhmys
Marks and Spencer
Yell

Economic Data:
None.

Areas to watch: Oil copper and miners. As per Monday, all are expected to drop further and again copper the most.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: well that's this years gains and then some wiped off the board. The big sell off continues. Charts and PoM agree with a small chance of a rise; companies reporting will have little and no effect on the market; the American markets poor attempt to finish the day in positive territory will only add a negative sentiment to the FTSE's early morning behaviour. Expect the FTSE to continue its daily see-saw action, and South rather then North.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? Still sitting on the fence.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

will be interesting to see if this first bounce gets sold after the first hour in the US, a decent close will see this last atleast a day or so

downbytheriver7 said:
will be interesting to see if this first bounce gets sold after the first hour in the US, a decent close will see this last atleast a day or so

Doesn't look like a decent close at all!

Makes the bounce on the FTSE look a bit overdone.

But the SPX is still +ve on the year, wonder how ugly it can get.

The FTSE, Wednesday 24th May 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 5678, up 146pts [2.64%]
Range: 5705 - 5532.

Last 5 TD: down 2.80%.
OTM: -5.74%.

I'm not fooled by today's giant leap North, it was well overdone and as they say, it aint over until the fat lady sings.

I still perceive a see-saw action until month's end.

Tuesday's DOW:
11098, down 26pts [0.24%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.84%.
OTM: -2.35%

Tuesday's S&P 500
1256.57 down 5.50 [0.44%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.77%.
OTM: -4.17%.

News items of note:
Worth a read:
Traders remain cautious amid strong recovery
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/81ee00be-e...age=350b0bf6-cbf0-11d7-81c6-0820abe49a01.html

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday's stated a rise. Wednesday an early dip.

The PoM System: -5.50, interpretation: a drop.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
Kingfisher

Economic Data:
11:00 UK CBI Industrial Trends May.

Areas to watch: copper and miners. Don't be overly confident by today's turnaround. The miners and copper are still well over priced.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the FTSE was helped up a few notches today with the aid from the miners and American markets. However, in the final half hour of trading the American markets nose dived. The road south continues; expect the FTSE to open down 12-16pts; charts predict an early dip, but the PoM predicts a strong reversal of today; companies reporting and ED are tame.

Early gut feeling: early morning dip.

Will I bet? Looking at a binary short.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

Based on my information the opening could easily be down 60 points but that may depend on Asia and Australia.

UKHero, thanks for your analysis, as always. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions for some time now about your POM system:

1. Is it a 1 day prediction?

2. Is it based on Open Value of the predicted trading day, or on Close Value of the previous day?
For example, for today it says -5.5, well, if it's based on yesterday's Close Value then it is kind of stating the obvious because FTSE100 was 1.1% down by 10PM yesterday.

Thanks

My trading of indicies is a tad rusty after moving over to currencies but, I think we could certainly see this going much further down...

Attachments

• FTSE channels.JPG
    FTSE channels.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited: