The FTSE 2006

Futures prior to opening were up but then a prompt fall to c.5720.
It took me a while to grasp the 100 point lift but managed to pick up 30 of them in two tranches.
I guess I must learn to trust the MACD more in these rushes.

"Futures prior to opening were up"

Which futures ?

FTSE ftrs open at 8am along with the cash.

Umm i held of my longs yesterday, but today looks a good day, DOW, FTSE, S&P and NDX and keeping open my Gold short. Will wait for US open and possible lower opening.

Wow! 100 point range again today-rolled my ugly short puts( it beggars belief that a full time trader has such a trade, I know). Nobody has a clue here-there is so much money on the sidelines you've got to be very cautious,as shorts will get squeezed at some point. Can there be more downside? Will there ever be an upside?
Still- the fundamentals are all the same as they were last week.

If this fade of the opening bounce is bought, that could be a sign we might have stopped going down just....7 or days down on the row for the NDX...gone long NDX and FTSE and DOW, NDX larger than the others

Morris said:
"Futures prior to opening were up"

Which futures ?

FTSE ftrs open at 8am along with the cash.

My CMC Markets account (FTSE100 open 24 hours) showed a steady rise from 5672(21:45) to 5692(07:55) on the bid until the open. Trading within this period has a wider spread of 4 points from 15 minutes after the close in NY until the open.
I am presuming there is a futures market open somewhere from which these figures come.
Currently the quote is 5651/55 which is somewhat lower than the physical close at 16:30 (your time)

No.

There is no FTSE futures market open between 1730 and 0800, brokers make their own market.

Nice to see the sell off continuing, although it's a little tame isn't it ?

"Currently the quote is 5651/55 which is somewhat lower than the physical close at 16:30 (your time)"

Futures close at 1730 !

For what its worth
I have several friends who have held PEPS for a long time (all of them aged 50+)
They have all independently cashed in at 6000 +
I know its only small beer but they all came to the same decision
Main reason when asked
OIL Been there .Seen Hyper Inflation. Thanks ill take what ive got.

Morris said:
"Currently the quote is 5651/55 which is somewhat lower than the physical close at 16:30 (your time)"

Futures close at 1730 !

Still falling!
Should I have a bet then at 5630/34? (Current 08:40 NZ,21:40 UK)

well my longs arent looking too great - have held them anyhow and might add too them - so way oversold - not expecting to get back anywhere near where we were a week or so ago - but some sort of bounce is on the cards...

downbytheriver7 said:
well my longs arent looking too great - have held them anyhow and might add too them - so way oversold - not expecting to get back anywhere near where we were a week or so ago - but some sort of bounce is on the cards...

With respect, don't bank on it.

regards

C V

The FTSE, Friday 19th May 2006

Thursday's results:

Close: 5671, down 4pts [0.07%]
Range: 5719 - 5618.

Last 5 TD: down 6.28%.
OTM: -5.92%.

Does 5618 look familiar? It should do, that's where we started at the beginning of the year, and as such we haven't come far in five months, have we! I would say that we've hit the bottom, and tomorrow or Monday should see a one day major drive North, lets say 55-75pts. Fingers crossed.

Thursday's DOW:

11128, down 77pts [0.69%].

Last 5 TD: down 3.26%.
OTM: -2.08%

Thursday's S&P 500
1261.81 down 8.50 [0.67%].

Last 5 TD: down 3.41%.
OTM: -3.75%.

News items of note:

Telegraph - 'British retail sales jumped more than expected last month, bolstered by a pick-up at household goods stores, reinforcing expectations interest rates are headed higher.

The Office for National Statistics said sales rose 0.6pc in April, after a 0.9pc increase in March. Annual growth, at 3pc, was the strongest since December.

The recovery of consumer spending may persuade the Bank of England to increase interest rates later this year from their current level of 4.5pc.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday's indicated a further early morning drop. Friday's show promise towards a rise.

The PoM System: +2.75, interpretation: a rise.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
British Airways
Centrica

Economic Data:
None.

Areas to watch: copper and miners.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: another day when the miners rose and then fell - ther'er trying hard and I'm sure the same tomorrow; oil has dipped and stayed below the $70 mark and I forsee a pause over the next few TD's; the American markets are still bearish but their strength is begining to fade; charts and PoM see a rise; company results are tame. In all, a dip before a rise.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? Intend to go Long and will be looking for an entry point.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

Spotted and rare...is that green we see on our screens??!!? No it can't be surely...staying long into next week....

Beware we have options expiry this morning.

Haven't seen capitulation sell-off yet.

Like to see sub 5500 but maybe we wont be rewarded.

well what a week...and a glimmer of hope for the bulls...not really one to get too focused on taking a bias but i cant help but think even if we go lower it wont be without a few 'told you so' bears getting squeezed along the way....so here's to an interesting next week...good w/e all....

The FTSE, Monday 22nd May 2006

Friday's results:
Close: 5657, down 14pts [0.25%]
Range: 5719 - 5618.

Last 5 TD: down 4.38%.
OTM: -6.17%.

Friday's DOW:
11144, up 15pts [0.14%].

Last 5 TD: down 2.08%.
OTM: -1.94%

Thursday's S&P 500
1267.03 up 5.22 [0.41%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.87%.
OTM: -3.34%.

News items of note:
None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Friday's showed promise towards a rise. Monday's predict a rise.

The PoM System: +2.25, interpretation: a rise.

The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.

Companies reporting:
Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance.

Economic Data:
None.

Areas to watch: Oil copper and miners. All are expected to drop further, copper the most.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the FTSE is certainly suffering from metal fatigue, lack of oil, and a general distrust in the economy as a whole; expect the FTSE to open 2-5pts up; charts and PoM predict a weak rise; the FTSE will continue its daily see-saw action until economic fears subside.

Early gut feeling: a small rise.

Will I bet? Sitting on the fence.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

Over the past 10 trading days the FTSE's had a Southern kicking, in fact, charts and stats have failed to predict its daily direction with any degree of clarity. And it's times like these when it may be prudent, and to some considered best practice, to stand back and wait for the dust to settle. So, if you are investing / betting, ask yourself this simple question, would I risk the mortgage! If the answer is yes, then your a better marketeer then I, or perhaps a wonderfully talented all seeing clairvoyant.

All data points North tomorrow. The CAC, DOW and S&P had a bumper of a day last Friday which gives the impression that its all over. I think not. I still see a see-saw month ahead and one which will be difficult to predict on a daily basis.

Good luck to all

UK