The FTSE 2006

does anyone trade the laast 30 mins b4 the UK close..noticed that thee is usually a stampede for the exits though i wonder if spreads widen then?

cabrito said:
does anyone trade the laast 30 mins b4 the UK close..noticed that thee is usually a stampede for the exits though i wonder if spreads widen then?

On IG spreads widen at 5.30pm from 2pts to 6pts.

I am off home flat today - a very frustrating week made some profits but missed alot more!!

Fund managers are enjoying the best year of ISA sales since 2000, with some reporting increases of more than 100% year on year, writes the Observer.

The FTSE, Monday 3rd April 2006

Friday's results:
Close: 5964 down 50pts [0.84%].
Range: 6015 - 5961.

Last 5 TD: down 1.18%.
On the month: up 2.99%.

Friday's DOW:
11109, down 41pts [0.37%].

Last 5 TD: down 1.52%.
On the month: up 1.07%.

Friday's S&P 500
1294.82, down 5.43pts [ 0.42%].

Last 5 TD: down 0.62%.
On the month: up 1.13%.

The story so far:

Y2D OTM
FTSE 6.10% 2.99%
DOW 3.70% 1.07%
S&P 3.77% 1.13%
DAX 10.12% 3.03%
CAC 10.37% 9.64%

News items of note:

Worth a read:
Asia's slumbering giant begins to stir.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/04/02/ccecag02.xml

Charts, and nothing but the charts:
Friday's anticipated a drop. Monday's state a rise.

The PoM System: +2.75, interpretation: a rise.

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:
Northern Rock
Pipex Communications
Severn Trent

Economic Data:
09:30 UK PMI Manufacturing Mar.

Note: BOE on 7th April.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the American markets tumble on Friday has, by large, already been factored in; charts and PoM predict a rise [although, if correct, only moderate]; company and economic news is tame; historically, the first of the month over the past 17 months has seen a rise.

Early gut feeling: hessitant.

Will I bet? All data points Northward, but I'm not overly sure. Will be watching the market early morning for confirmation.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

Hi Mate,
Good work there, I wanted to go long on friday afternoon but got called away and when i came back the market was closed, placed an order but it didnt get triggered, gutted really as it was a nice trade with a risk to win ratio of 1:3.

Never mind always another trade round the corner

The FTSE, Tuesday 4th April 2006

Tuesday's results:

Close: 6024 up 59pts [1.00%].
Range: 6033 - 5964.

Last 5 TD: down 0.88%.

Monday's DOW:
11144, up 35pts [0.32%].

Last 5 TD: down 0.93%.

Monday's S&P 500
1297.81, up 2.99pts [ 0.23%].

Last 5 TD: down 0.29%.

Since the 20th March, the American markets have been sliding South, although only moderately. My data says this will reverse either tomorrow or Wednesday. I favour the latter.

News items of note:

FT.com - 'Oil prices rallied strongly with IPE Brent for May delivery rising $1.80 to $67.71 a barrel with traders reporting funds opening fresh long positions on the first trading session of the new quarter.

At one point Brent peaked at $67.79, close to its intra-day record of $68.89 reached in the aftermath of the US hurricanes last autumn.

Concerns about the potential threat to supplies posed by an underwater missile tested by Iran and news of weekend clashes between militants and the Nigerian army combined to play upon traders’ nerves

Nymex May West Texas Intermediate added $1.22 to $67.85.

“Current price levels for crude oil are an accurate reflection of supply and demand fundamentals and, arguably, prices would be even higher were the full range of geopolitical prices accurately priced in by the market,” said Kevin Norrish, of Barclays Capital.

Gold hit a 25-year high at $591.50 a troy ounce before retreating to $589.80 with a move towards $600 expected shortly.

Data from the Commodity Futures Trading Commission showed a significant increase in speculative long positions in the week ending March 28, which traders said could leave the market vulnerable to short-term profit-taking.

Three-month copper rose 3.7 per cent to $5,590 a tonne after it hit a record of $5,605 on supply concerns.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Monday's stated a rise. Tuesday's are unclear but they do observe a late element of profit taking in the last 10 minutes of market trading.

The PoM System: -4.25, interpretation: a drop. Also recommends a 'no bet.'

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:
Britvic
Empire Online
Bellway

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Mortgage Equity Withdrawal

Areas to watch: Miners and the price of copper.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: as I write the American markets have shuffled down to a sensible level so expect the FTSE to open down a small amount in the morning; the FTSE Monday was driven higher then expected due to the miners and the world copper shortage, and if this is reversed so will the market as a whole; company and economic news is tame; charts are unclear but do display a small element of profit taking; the PoM result predicts a drop but recommends a 'No Bet;' so far this year the only rise on a Tuesday has been the first trading day of the year.

Early gut feeling: nervouse

Will I bet? The big unknown factor is the miners. Best hold back until the market direction is clear. As it stands, I favour the dip.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

lennonac said:
Hi Mate,
Good work there, I wanted to go long on friday afternoon but got called away and when i came back the market was closed, placed an order but it didnt get triggered, gutted really as it was a nice trade with a risk to win ratio of 1:3.

Never mind always another trade round the corner

It happens.

And I agree, they'll be plenty more around the corner, as you put it.

UK

The FTSE, Wednesday 5th April 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 6004, down 19pts [0.33%].
Range: 6024 - 5984.

Last 5 TD: up 1.17%.
OTM: up 0.68%

Tuesday's DOW:
11203, up 58pts [0.53%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.45%.
OTM: 0.85%

Tuesday's S&P 500

1305.93, up 8.12pts [ 0.63%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.98%.
OTM: up 0.86%

The American markets determined rise today came a day early for me, even so, I see them moving forward with a further healthy rise by the end of the week.

News items of note:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - 'U.S. stocks rallied on Tuesday, helped by a drop in crude oil prices and comments from Federal Reserve officials that could signal the Fed is almost done with raising interest rates.'

FT.com - Icelandic stock market dives: 'The Icelandic stock market on Tuesday suffered its biggest one-day fall in 13 years on fresh concerns about the country's three commercial banks.The benchmark Icex 15 index dropped 4.7 per cent to 5,493.83, the biggest one-day fall on the exchange since February 1993. The decline took the stock market into negative territory for the year. The three main banks - Kaupthing, Glitnir and Landsbanki - led the market lower on Tuesday after Moody's Investors Service, the credit rating agency, warned about "the increased challenges the Icelandic banks are likely to face in a more difficult operating environment.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday's were unable to indicate either direction but did indicate profit taking. Wednesday's favour a weak rise.

The PoM System: +2.90, interpretation: a moderate rise.

Companies reporting:
BP
British Airways
Signet

Economic Data:

09:30 UK PMI Services Mar
09:30 UK Industrail Production Feb

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the American markets moved North and the FTSE South, a strange day indeed; expect the FTSE to open up early morning; charts and PoM predict a weak rise; company results and economic news are moderate.

Early gut feeling: a small rise.

Will I bet? Already in with a small Long.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Thursday 6th April 2006

Wednesday's results:
Close: 6044, up 39pts [0.66%].
Range: 5983 - 6047.

Last 5 TD: up 1.43%.
OTM: up 1.33%

Wednesday's DOW:
11239, up 35pts [0.32%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.22%.
OTM: 1.17%

Wednesday's S&P 500
1311.56, up 5.63pts [ 0.43%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.67%.
OTM: up 1.29%

News items of note:

Times - 'Profitability of firms at lowest since 2003.By Gary Duncan, Economics Editor. 'THE profitability of companies outside the booming financial and oil sectors has fallen to its lowest for two and a half years, undermining hopes for a growth-boosting revival in business investment.

The rate of return achieved by manufacturing and services companies on the capital invested in their businesses sank in the final quarter of last year to 12.3 per cent, its lowest since the spring of 2003.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday's favoured a weak rise. Thursday's favour a rise.

The PoM System: -2, interpretation: a drop. Also recommends a 'No Bet.'

Companies reporting:
None.

Economic Data:
BOE

Areas to watch: the Mining sector. Rio Tinto [rio.L] is well top heavy and as such we may see a party of profit takers. Also Oil. Oil is on the up and I see no reason why.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the American markets continue to surge forward and the FTSE follows behind, but tomorrow we have the BOE and as such we should see the FTSE do its own jig; no company news and charts see a rise which conflicts with the PoM result.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? No, not unless I see a reverse with the Miners and Oil. Of late, these two sectors have pushed the FTSE abnormally forward. Any reverse will see the FTSE drop by 30-60pts.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Friday 7th April 2006

Thursday's results:
Close: 6045, up 1pt [0.03%].
Range: 6037 - 6073.

Last 5 TD: up 0.52%.
OTM: up 1.36%

Thursday's DOW:
11216, down 23pts [0.21%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.59%.
OTM: 0.96%

Thursday's S&P 500

1309.04, down 2.52pts [ 0.19%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.68%.
OTM: up 1.10%

The above markets have entered a period of neutrality, and as such, are difficult to predict. Even so, historically a neutral market favours a minor rise.

News items of note:
None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday's favoured a rise. Fridays have no clear indication.

The PoM System: +1.5, interpretation: favores a small rise

Companies reporting:
Easyjet

Economic Data:
None UK.
NonFarm payrolls, US.

Areas to watch: the Mining sector continues to prop up the FTSE. A reverse will see it tumble.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: all the Indices are in a position of nuetrality and as such can go either way [but I don't anticipate by much]; no major company results or economic data; the US Farm is the one to watch as it will have an impact on the UK; charts have no clear direction and the PoM favours a weak rise. In general, the FTSE will move with daily news.

Early gut feeling: a rise by end of play.

Will I bet? Not as I write. The miners are still way over the top due to the rising metal prices and as such are unpredicable. Historically, this year, Fridays have odds of 3-1 in favour of a rise and so its worth a binery bet.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Monday 10th April 2006

Friday's results:
Close: 6026, down 19pt [0.32%].
Range: 6075 - 6020. A drop of 49pts from its high. A good indication here that the market wants to push on to 6100

The American markets did not like the Non Farm Payroll results as it indicates potential further rate hikes, and the FTSE was let off lightly compared to the other Indexies: DAX down 78pts [1.3%], CAC down 47pts [0.91%].

Last 5 TD: up 1.03%.
OTM: up 1.03%

Friday's DOW:
11120, down 96pts [0.86%].

For the followers of spread sheet analysis: this exceeds the daily one day average for the year [minus 80%]. Normally this would indicate a reverse if there's additional support from other averages, but there's only weak support. Bet with caution if going Long.

Last 5 TD: up 0.10%.
OTM: 0.10%

Thursday's S&P 500
1295.5, down 13.54pts [ 1.03%].

The SP is in the same position as the DOW. The last major fall of this magnitude was Friday 28th February when the market dipped 13.46pts [1.04%]. The following Monday, which was 1st March, saw the market rise 10.58 [0.83%].

Last 5 TD: up 0.06%.
OTM: up 0.06%

News items of note:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Friday's stock market retreat could spill over into next week as bears concentrate on interest rates and oil. Still, earnings strength from companies like Alcoa Inc. could kick the market higher from time to time. Stocks fell on Friday as a stronger-than-expected jobs report suggested more interest-rate increases ahead, overshadowing hopes for hefty corporate profits.

Worth a read:
World cannot meet oil demand.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2124287,00.html#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=Business

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Fridays had no clear indication. Mondays anticipate a rise.

The PoM System: -.75, interpretation: favors a weak drop.

Companies reporting:
None.

Economic Data:
09:30 UK Producer prices input mth Mar
09:30 UK Producer prices input yr Mar
09:30 UK ODPM house prices yr

Areas to watch: the Mining/metals and the Oil sector. The miners are still top heavy. Oil is being driven North by news reports of militant activities in Nigeria and missile testing by Iran.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: Friday saw the American markets take a tumble, and as it stands, it's 60-40 for a rise come Monday; the FTSE may open up lower; charts predict a rise which conflicts with the PoM's weak drop; no company results; ecconomic news may shuffle the market south. In all, I see the FTSE hanging on a street corner until the American markets show a clean direction.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? So much conflicting news, data and uncertainty. Best watch and wait.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Tuesday 11th April 2006

Monday's results:
Close: 6067, up 40pts [0.68%].
Range: 6037 - 6073.

Last 5 TD: up 0.71%.
OTM: up 1.71%

Monday's DOW:
11141, up 21pts [0.19%].

Last 5 TD: down 0.03%.
OTM: 0.29%

Monday's S&P 500
1296.6, up 1.10pts [ 0.08%].

Last 5 TD: down 0.08%.
OTM: up 0.15%

News items of note:
None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Monday's favoured a rise. Tuesday's are unclear.

The PoM System: -3.5, interpretation: favours a drop.

Companies reporting:
BAA
Carphone Warehouse
Marks & Spencer
Sage

Economic Data:
00:01 UK BRC sales monitor Mar 0.6% 0.0%
09:30 UK Trades in goods and services

Areas to watch: Oil and Miners.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: a calm day from the American markets and one in which did little to ruffle the FTSE's feathers; the FTSE should open up with little change; Oil and Miners continue to jossle the market, and although top heavy they continue to rise; charts are unclear but the PoM favours a moderate drop; companies repoting and economic news is tame.

Early gut feeling: a dip.

Will I bet? At this early hour I'm not confident enough to place a bet eitherway. Will be watching the markets open and especialy Oil and miners.

Yours

UK

Quiet here yet again! And I am short @ 6070 yet again. Looking to short from here to 6100 looking for a pullback to 6025, 6000 and possibly 5950. Or is everyone favouring the long side? I do but only after some basebuilding and consolidation.

downbytheriver7 said:
Quiet here yet again! And I am short @ 6070 yet again. Looking to short from here to 6100 looking for a pullback to 6025, 6000 and possibly 5950. Or is everyone favouring the long side? I do but only after some basebuilding and consolidation.

morning, went short at 6080 and closed 6055. I favour a move down over the next few session towards the levels you were talking about although not totally convinced. Have you closed your short yet?

htp80 said:
morning, went short at 6080 and closed 6055. I favour a move down over the next few session towards the levels you were talking about although not totally convinced. Have you closed your short yet?

Not closed my short yet - I keep closing them way to early! The CAC and DAX have had more of a correction than the FTSE recently which hit a 5 year high yesterday. US markets looking to open up down right on support so will be interesting to see the flow from there. Still thinking bouncing of 6000 can only be a good thing for the FTSE to go higher so near to there will remain my target.

downbytheriver7 said:
Not closed my short yet - I keep closing them way to early! The CAC and DAX have had more of a correction than the FTSE recently which hit a 5 year high yesterday. US markets looking to open up down right on support so will be interesting to see the flow from there. Still thinking bouncing of 6000 can only be a good thing for the FTSE to go higher so near to there will remain my target.

Closed @ 6046 will possibly reenter on a bounce.