The FTSE 2006

Said it before but the index to watch over the pond is the SPX, not the Dow.

SPX is what the pros watch and trade.

Morris said:
Said it before but the index to watch over the pond is the SPX, not the Dow.

SPX is what the pros watch and trade.

I agree with you, but as i've said, I need time to study, which I am.

I intend to change from DOW to S&P from 1st March.

Element of grace needed here.

Thank you.

UK

The FTSE, Friday 24th February 2006

Thursday's results:
Close: 5836, down 36pts [0.62%].
Range: 5829 - 5878.

Last 5 trading days: up 8pts [0.14%]. Behind par.
On the month: up 75pts [1.32%]. Within par.

Thursday's DOW:
11,069, down 67pts [0.61%].

Last 5 trading days: up 10pts [0.09%].
On the month: up 207pts [1.91%].

Both markets are in a neutral phase and can go eitherway.

News items of note:

Worth a read:
'Gold sales hit record as India piles up the jewellery'
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5-2053714,00.html#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=Business

Timesonline - ' A disappointing outlook statement from Reuters and weakness among the heavyweight oil stocks hobbled British markets. BAE Systems, Hilton and Centrica were also sold back on downbeat earnings news.

But the story of the day was provided by Body Shop, which wrongfooted traders after L'Oreal said it is weighing up a takeover bid the ethical soap seller.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursday's had no clear indication. Friday's indicate an early dip with a slim possibility of a late rise.

The PoM System. Same as yesterday: 1.5, interpretation is a weak possibility of a rise and as such recommends a no bet.

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:
British Energy
Intec Telecom
Lloyds TSB
WPP

Economic Data:
09:30 UK GDP (2nd Estimate) 4Q

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: The FTSE was dragged lower by the DOW and a motley collection of institutional bears dumping shares for a profit,such are bears; charts have no clear direction; for the past three days the PoM system has had no clear signal either way and therefore recommends that you stay out of the market; company news is tame and has already been factored in; data says the FTSE is slipping, but will rise again in the first week of March. Lets see.

As it stands: Fridays odds, according to historical data over the past 14 months, have a 2 to1 chance of rising.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? No thank you. I'll save my pennies until the market changes, first week of March looks good. But based on the historical data and a PoM result of 1.5, it may be worth going with a small Long. It's up to you.

The market is in a period of deliberation and can go either way with a tip of a hat. Toss a coin, throw the rune stones across a wooden table, in all its difficult to predict the latter part of the month when the FTSE is at a high.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Monday 27th February 2006

Friday's results:
Close: 5860, up 24pts [0.42%].
Range: 5836 - 5864.

Last 5 TD: up 3pts. Stagnating but not uncommon for the latter part of February.
On the month: up 100pts [1.73%]. Within par.

Friday's DOW:
11,061, down 7pts [0.07%].

Last 5 TD: down 54pts [-0.49%].
On the month: up 199pts [1.83%].

Friday's S&P 500
1289, up 1.64 [0.13%]
Last 5 TD: evens
On the month: [0.73%]

News items of note:

Worth a read:

Iraq and oil's jump may hit stocks:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060226/bs_nm/column_stocks_outlook_dc

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Friday's indicated an early dip with a slim possibility of a late rise. Monday's, charts show the market running out of steam in the second half of the day and what we may see come tomorrow morning is an additional stagnation period.

The PoM System. a weak -0.75, interpretation: a weak possibility of a fall and as such recommends a no bet.

[The PoM system is a mathematical formula that determines the markets direction. A plus or minus indicates the likelihood and strength of the market going up or down.]

Companies reporting:

Alliance & Leicester
Associated British Foods
Domino's Pizza
Old Mutual
Pearson
Persimmon
Robert Walters
Ultra Electronics Holdings

In all, a busy week ahead for companies reporting.

Economic Data:
Web site down. No data available at time of writing.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the week ahead is quite buoyant with companies reporting and this should add plenty of volume throughout the week, also, it's considered the third most strongest week of the year, add to that, Wednesday is the 1st of the month and the FTSE has risen 16 times in a row on the first day of the month; charts are unclear; the PoM system indicates a dip but not enough to recommend a bet.

Early gut feeling: I fancy a Long but there's a mixture of conflicting data at hand. It wouldn't surprise me if the week ended right back where it started.

Will I bet? Considering going Long. Favour Wednesday most of all.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

The FTSE, Tuesday 28th February 2006

Monday's results:
Close: 5875, up 15pts [0.26%].
Range: 5860 - 5893.

Last 5 TD: up 13pts.
On the month: up 116pts [2%]. Within par.

Monday's DOW:
11,091, up 35pts [0.32%].

Last 5 TD: down 24pts [-0.22%].
On the month: up 229pts [2.11%].

Friday's S&P 500
1294, up 4.69 [0.06%]

News items of note:

LONDON (Reuters) - 'Oil fell Monday, unwinding gains made after a foiled al-Qaeda attack on the world's biggest oil processing plant in Saudi Arabia.

No supplies were disrupted from the leading oil exporter, but tension remained high. Al Qaeda has warned of further attacks and Saudi forces Monday killed five suspected militants believed to be linked to Friday's suicide bomb attempt.

U.S. light sweet crude for April delivery slid $1.91 to $61 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange. It fell as low as $62.85, down $2.06, before a bounce up.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts:
Monday's charts predicted little movement. Tuesday's state a small rise.

Warning! My charting analysis over the months has been somewhat dire!

The PoM System: 0.0 [zero], interpretation: little movement expected and should end up 12pts either way.

Companies reporting:
British American Tobacco
Cable & Wireless
CSR
Hays
MFI Furniture
Next
Partygaming
Royal Bank of Scotland

Economic Data:
None.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW had a fruitful day but it had little or no effect on the FTSE; last TD of the month, historicaly over the last 15 months: 6 up versus 9 down; company results in general should be positive; charts and PoM system state very little movement, but I have my doults.

Early gut feeling: neutral.

Will I bet? I favour a Short based on the historical data; if i do bet it will be small.

Yours

UK

downbytheriver7 said:
Closing the short and going long @ 5800
Ah......I went short at 5817....don't think it will bottom yet although I've moved my stop closer to my entry point.

more importantly Downbytheriver....where did you go skiing? Snow holding out nicely I hope.? I'm off on the 18th for a bit of sping weather skiing.

I wasn't expecting much of a drop today and so closed my Short for a gain of 27pts. Quite pleased with myself I was.

If you just happen to a hear a strange banging noise, don't worry, its just little ole me hitting my head against a wall!

FTSE @ 5791, down 84pts.

UK

Evening all,

Just got back in from work to see FTSE fall nearly 100 points, so good to see people have made profit from their shorts :)

Im considering a small long for a bounce tomorrow, but my spread betting comp (Capital Spreads) charts have been having some funny spikes in of late on certain charts. On their 1hour FTSE rolling daily chart, 5pm-6pm chart is showing,

Open 5785
Close 5781
High 5788
Low 5735 :!:

Notice the low, looks a bit odd. Does this stack up with anyone elses charts. I only ask as the daily chart also shows a low of 2838 (yes 2838) on Feb 24th - so not v confident with their FTSe chart at prez.

Slim

Cheers for that DW.

I figured 2838 was a glitch, wasn't so sure about 5735, so have left FTSE and gone for a small long on DJIA overnight, looking for around 20-30 point bounce in short term.

I'm a beginner though, so no one should take this as advice, probably the opposite

As far as your link goes, i'll have a look and drop it on my fav's for now to come back to every now and again.

Take it easy, good trading to all

Slim (yeah the REAL one) :)

The FTSE, Wednesday 1st March 2006

Tuesday's results:
Close: 5791, down 84pts [-1.44%].
Range: 5788 - 5877.

Last 5 TD: down 66pts
On the month: up 31pts [0.54%].

Tuesday's DOW:
10,993, down 104pts [-0.94%].

Last 5 TD: down 93pts [-0.83%].
On the month: up 131pts [1.21%].

Tuesday's S&P 500

1280.66, down 13.46 [-1.04%]

News items of note:

LONDON (ShareCast) - 'London's leading index crashed back through 5,800 today as weak resource stocks and gloomy utilities led fellow blue chips into the red, while big losses in the US prevented a late recovery.

Reuters was in trouble as Credit Suisse downgraded the shares to 'neutral' from 'outperform'. The broker said visibility on revenue growth recovery is decreasing, while cost control seemed to be loosening despite the restructuring plan.

Alliance and Leicester topped the fallers though after Lehman Brothers said 'underweight' and cut its target price to 814p from 846p following yesterday's final numbers.

Miners turned lower after a drop in commodity prices overnight, while hopes of consolidation in the sector ebbed away following the collapse of Lonmin's takeover talks last week. Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton and Antofagasta all beat a retreat.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday's stated a small rise. Wednesday's are too distorted to read.

The PoM System: +6.5, interpretation: a strong indication of a rise.

Companies reporting:
Compass
Filtrona
HBOS
JP Morgan Flming Russian
Lorien
Matalan
Michael Page
Xstrata
ADC Telecommunications Inc

Another large bundle of well too-do's. Xstrata is the one to watch for lifting the miners

Economic Data:
None.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: all the major indices slid back several notches today and the question on everybodys lips is 'is there more to come;' charts are unable to relate any particular direction but the PoM result is encourging; no ecconomic data; company results should be encouraging. Historical data: the market has risen 16 consecitive times on the first day of the month.

Early gut feeling: a rise.

Will I bet? looking to going Long.

Yours

UK

Hooya said:
more importantly Downbytheriver....where did you go skiing? Snow holding out nicely I hope.? I'm off on the 18th for a bit of sping weather skiing.

Hi mate, I went to Alpe D'Huez, snow was bit low when we got there but a nice dump sorted that out! Blue skies were an added bonus. Great resort, lots to do without being overly stuck up, just good fun and relaxing. Now I want to go again!!!

davidwiz said:
Hi Slim,

In my opinion those spikes are some kind of glitch in the system, I have seen similar ones on CMC/Deal4Free platform too, but not today.

Anyway, before going long check out our prediction tomorrow morning at 7am at
http://sc.dainty.biz/ta/welcome.aspx

David

I actually made a large amount on a glitch, the FTSE spiked to about 7000+ for around 20 seconds and I caught it and went short - the trade was honoured. This happened this year also with a fairly well known CFD broker.

downbytheriver7 said:
I actually made a large amount on a glitch, the FTSE spiked to about 7000+ for around 20 seconds and I caught it and went short - the trade was honoured. This happened this year also with a fairly well known CFD broker.

Lucky you! Do you mind me asking what broker is it? I have tried to use this anomaly but CMC would never continue with such trade and always re-quote.