TA does/doesn't work thread with a difference.

Scose, I agree with you to an extent. Just supposing that price movement was completely random, then I still believe that TA can provide a structured approach to trade management that can cause a trader to have a positive expectancy.

However, I don't believe that price movement is completely random. There are obvious patterns that repeat themselves in the market place and if a trader can't see them, they either haven't watched the market long enough or they aren't looking at it with the right frame of reference.

I'm not being funny but half the people that discuss TA probably don't even understand what it means.

TA is largely marketed to us all as the obvious patterns that predict price. But at the heart of it, TA is not about a head and shoulders formation, it's not the random trendline that you draw in the middle of nowhere or the cup and handle pattern you've spotted that the rest of the world hasn't. It includes these things but this is not what it's about.

Yet this is how most people seem to use it.

TA is simply a study of past price data in order to predict future price movement. When you spend enough time watching price, you get to realise that some of the movements and the associated outcomes after those movements are higher probability than others.

We had a Bund trader in our prop firm who was wildly successful. He thought TA was nonsense. Yet he once told me about a particular window of opportunity in the Bund in which it was extremely high probability to bid just beneath a recent swing low because the market was being faded on breaks - he pointed to a chart to illustrate this.

What is this if not TA?

Take the gap on the FX open for example. It has a 90% strike rate over the last 18 months. I should know because I've traded it. This is an undeniable, empirical edge. You don't believe in TA? Cool. Go with the Sunday night gap then, put your stop at the Friday close and tell me how you get on.

I think there are many people that don't want to believe in TA because they can't understand why they can't make it work for themselves. I think all these academics seem to spot a classic head and shoulders chart formation, short the neckline break, do their a*se and then spout off about how TA doesn't work. Just like the people that used to tell me in MMT that they were taking every 5m pin they saw in the FTSE and then complaining that pin bars don't work.

I think you understand where I'm coming from, Tomathy.
One of the reasons I made this thread was that is that I have a hard time believing that 1) that price is random outside of the shorter term 2) past price data is indicative of future prices
But, I have watched as trend lines and some other patterns have "worked" and its only over the past couple of months that I've been able to rationalise why they have using my (basic) understanding of markets and their dynamics.

Personally I just don't feel its as clear cut as. At least not as much as I used to. Well maybe it's more that I feel it can be possible to read what's happening behind the prices and charts.

I think there are many people that don't want to believe in TA because they can't understand why they can't make it work for themselves. I think all these academics seem to spot a classic head and shoulders chart formation, short the neckline break, do their a*se and then spout off about how TA doesn't work. Just like the people that used to tell me in MMT that they were taking every 5m pin they saw in the FTSE and then complaining that pin bars don't work.

Very sad that you're using academic as an insult. Perhaps that mindset is why you don't understand expectancy?

P.S. Pwned

We had a Bund trader in our prop firm who was wildly successful. He thought TA was nonsense. Yet he once told me about a particular window of opportunity in the Bund in which it was extremely high probability to bid just beneath a recent swing low because the market was being faded on breaks - he pointed to a chart to illustrate this.

What is this if not TA?

That's interesting.
Not necessarily your example, but I, too, have been with people who seem so anti 'TA' and when they eventually divulge pieces of their method, showing me charts and volume profiles etc, it's quite the anti-climax, because that's all TA as far as Im concerned.

Now, im pretty much a TA guy, although that might be more from a lack of alternative!
Im convinced that there are strings that need to be added to my bow before I can become a 'trader'(I'm not a 'trader'. I just play with TINY stakes for pocket money, but have had quite good profitable consistency for a little while now so i'm doing something right). I get the feeling that these 'things' might fall more under the fundamental umbrella.

I don't know.

Unfortunately, 'Rothschild' never gave much away about his methods(but said TA was rubbish) but i'd love to know how he came about his trading decisions.

Im also glad that in my years I have came across a few (not many, mind!) traders who do make very nice, consistent money from TA alone. It is worrying that there seem to be so few though, but encouraging that it does seem possible.
Note: For me to believe anyone(and be included in my above example), I need more than just their word or a chart posted in hindsight etc

wb buffet then? :D

Anyway point is it's not just academics who say so. But I'm sure there are TA traders who make more money that some of the academics :)

i've always thought about it this way...with TA you have no control, it might work, it might not and by the time you find out, the information is probablly useless.

FA is far easier money, esp when your an independent trader. A recent example comes to mind of a company issuing convertible stock to staff. The staff are selling it at $4 when the common is trading at $6 (brief version)...its free money. Why would you use TA, which may or may not work, when you have opportunities like the above (not all as easy i'll admit). Markets have massive gaps in efficiency which are easily exploited. Its not as exciting as TA but i'd much rather make money.

It pays a man to be right, at the right time.

Livermore said something like this.

There's no way Livermore got it right every time....so what was he on about?

During my time on T2W, there has always been a bias in favour of TA among the users as a whole. Personally I lean more towards the TA being voodoo camp with short term prices being drive by orders and medium/longer term prices driven by other things for the most part but lets not go into that now.

Anyhews, I was hoping to start a thread where anyone can post charts where TA DOESN'T work as a counter argument to the 1m charts we have showing TA is gospel. Maybe then we could discuss how and why we think it didny as opposed to the argument that TA works because it does etc etc.

Any related discussion or opinions are also welcomed.

A screen with a chart.

A person with money.

Anything can happen.

Vunerable people.

Can orders be divided by a line on the chart? Its a serious question, no funny answers.

Tom Dante? The man, the myth, the legend!

Why does TA work for TD?

Answer comming soon. Stay tuned.

high probability turning points with confluence and an MM strat that means the R:R more than covers losers... I imagine. That and patience. Does seem to work sometimes though. I've seed it wid me own eyeses.