swingin' the ftse: 2008

Could be kev, and we might come to see Monday as the swing low at the bottom of this bear market - but the evidence I trust is price - it would be especially auspicious to get a move upward basing itself on a second, higher swing low, above Monday's range. This could even resemble a mini- inverted head-and-shoulders - 16/10 - 27/10 - 05/11?

short the market people, its just a bear market bounce

I'm short Dow Jones @ 9100, and I'm short FTSE @ 4200

still more pain to come ......

FTSE looks like it will trade sideways between 3800 - 4400 bar any external shock

and Dow similarly will trade sideways between 8200 - 9200

Adios amigos

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been to the forums....I was just wondering how you guys have been doing following the Rivalland method?

Would anyone be kind enough to say how many points they've made this year? I imagine it's impressive since the trend has been followed strongly!

Cheers

Hi all,

Been a while since I've been to the forums....I was just wondering how you guys have been doing following the Rivalland method?

Would anyone be kind enough to say how many points they've made this year? I imagine it's impressive since the trend has been followed strongly!

Cheers

I trade the rivalland method (with my own modifications) as one of my many strategies. Can't tell you how many points it's made this year as the exit method he specifies in the book is somewhat vague. I tend to get out often and get back in again when another entry becomes apparent - rather than hold for the whole run down and wait for a swing lo/hi to be breached.

I'm currently OUT of the FTSE and waiting for a re-entry signal to sell - we need another up day before a sell signal can be generated. The recent high of 4403 needs to be breached before trading long.

We haven't had the 3-day rally from Monday but I have opned a short anyway based on last night's weak US close. The index is setting up for a whiplash swing trade on the short side - it has printed an upside gap at the open at 4271: if it closes below 4271 and in the lower 50% of today's eventual range, this can be a signal to go short at the close, as there is usually follow-through the following day. Of course, tight stops are only sensible, most especially when Central Banks and Governments are being so energetic.

The sharp spike on FTSE upto 4350 had me a bit worried and puzzled this morning but its pulled back now and come back to Earth.

I have been short FTSE at 4200 2 days ago, but had my stop loss triggered at 4150...but i have gone short again at 4350?

anybody else made a similar move?

The sharp spike on FTSE upto 4350 had me a bit worried and puzzled this morning but its pulled back now and come back to Earth.

I have been short FTSE at 4200 2 days ago, but had my stop loss triggered at 4150...but i have gone short again at 4350?

anybody else made a similar move?

mr wallstreet.
this rally has legs. am on the opposite side of your trades.
but good luck!

ps. if "The sharp spike on FTSE upto 4350 had me a bit worried" then maybe shorting isnt the right side to be just yet??
pps. you are using CMC right? be real careful with them.... they like to spike people out when markets are closed. so if u have stops, set them WIDEBOY style

Yep, you can use CMC out of hours FTSE to great effect trading the spikes. Once you see the mass exaggeration you can take the opp position. V good for last US hour.

mmmm,, i have always been a bit suspicious about!! cheeky b$%@d's..........

I took £200 profit and closed my position at 4250 just after posting.......I'm going to sit back and see how it plays out on the Dow in the evening, but I'm still inclined to short on any uptick?!!

but I agree with you, there is going to be short lived rally but theres no harm in scalping 50/100 points here and there when over bought!!

Did you see what happend to Volkswagen shares yesterday, Oh man I wish i had been long on them I would have retired.........haha!!

Invetigation time as per KTF's message:

can you all please tell me what the INTRA DAY HIGH has been on the FTSE 100 on Thursday 30th october 2008?

thanks

mmmm,, i have always been a bit suspicious about!! cheeky b$%@d's..........

I took £200 profit and closed my position at 4250 just after posting.......I'm going to sit back and see how it plays out on the Dow in the evening, but I'm still inclined to short on any uptick?!!

but I agree with you, there is going to be short lived rally but theres no harm in scalping 50/100 points here and there when over bought!!

Did you see what happend to Volkswagen shares yesterday, Oh man I wish i had been long on them I would have retired.........haha!!

The VW news was back on 24th but yup, agree!
Rumour has it that a lot of big players (banks and hedgies) had lots of VW shares,,,,, they must be screwing.

Nice ftse play. Was worried you were "averaging up".

No saw a nice rise on all the markets at 9:39 am GMT went on a buy £180 profit on the ftse
Just couldn't bring myself to it

well done STRTRADA?

so you think a trend reversal, on what basis..............I'm interested, please explain your reasoning?

I'm following this chaps advice ?

Market Speculator

I'm using it to trade the Dow Jones, and Dow jones as we all know is a good predictor of where the FTSE is headed?