Swingin' the currencies journal

for example-shorting resistance in a downtrend, in this example the 50 ema is resistance:

Attachments

• 50 ema.JPG
    50 ema.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 200
Thanks for all the comments, views, opinions etc.

SPX Friday was a Inside day ... which is GOOD!

My research mathematical model for the SPX tells me the following ...

BUY above 1107 and SELL below 1084...

SPX Supermodel is a set of eight mathematical equations.

It's last loss was small and it does need watching closely but it gets me in early and out early.

When your up against supercomputers you cannot afford to be faint hearted and delay!

buying support example: audusd- a trendline is there ever was one :)

Attachments

• tl au.JPG
    tl au.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 189
blimey jammy, it certainly is. looks very well behaved. haven't looked at the aussie yet...too busy losing money on the E$.

i actually went in on audusd thinking long because of gold breaking out- you never know when gold will stop, so i just assume it'll keep going higher=good for aud and bad for usd, course it was even better when i see a nice uptrend and a damn nice trendline...

by the way, what is your like, method on ES?

lol i made up my first sort of principle...just every time i buy i have to ask myself 'can i buy cheaper/at a better place?' and vice versa for selling.

like for example here on eurusd when i longed at the trendline, the pullback was okay, but not great,it was only one down bar, and yet now im thinking i should have waited for the wiser test of the 50 ema=lower price=better pullback, smaller stop loss

Attachments

• qqaa.JPG
    qqaa.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 177
by the way, what is your like, method on ES?

i don't have one really.

just patterns, channels, 2 bar key reversals (if i have a bar chart up that day, i can never really spot them using candles), RSI oscillator divergence and lining up a stochastic in overbought/sold in mutliple TF's. ...i'm checking out rivalland's swing trading strategy at the mo too.

so, this mish-mash is what i do, and i do it all rather badly.

thankfully i trade equities a little better...but only marginally :)

i made a rookie error today on the E$ too...had a position open and forgot to check what news was coming up....soon as bernanke spoke it was goodnight vienna.

i have a resting sell stop on one of my trades as a means of pyramiding (adding to a winning postion)
will post if it's triggered

right, it looks like my stop order could be hit so might as well post it up, shorting some more USDCAD, it's solidly in a downtrend, on the daily it has came up to very near the 50 ema as well as previous S/R, so i zoomed in to the hourlies, support became resistance, at resistance an inside bar formed inside a bearish pin bar, sell stop below the pin.

Attachments

• pyramid.JPG
    pyramid.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 189
  • pyramid1.JPG
    pyramid1.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 184
with a real live account i would , at half way to profit target, cover half and place stop at BE for the other half.

o the inside bar trade is up 30 pips or so, its profit target isnt as wide as the orginal trade, just a kind of daily 'scalp'

for those who don't approve of wide stop for swing trading, here's why i use them.
room for entry error, you can't go into a trade with a tight ass stop-therefore putting huge importance on your entry.
whereas whenever you have a wider stop, you can still enter at the same area, but you may be slightly off target , but the general direction you have right-the tight stop guy would be stopped out, wide stop guy would be still in .
for example USDCAD going short here-you go short because you believe there is good resistance here, , but then again price acould go to the 50 ema or the weaker resistance which is higher and test it, and go the same direction.

T.S.= tight stop, ws= wide stop, using a tight stop you woulda been stopped out.
wide stops imo especially for trading with trends, because if you are following a good trend, usually your entry doesnt have to be that great.

Attachments

• stops.JPG
    stops.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
"T.S.= tight stop, ws= wide stop, using a tight stop you woulda been stopped out"

Fully concurred, a better alternative maybe to use options as sometimes stop hunting will catch even "wide stops"

"T.S.= tight stop, ws= wide stop, using a tight stop you woulda been stopped out"

Fully concurred, a better alternative maybe to use options as sometimes stop hunting will catch even "wide stops"

spent a week looking at using options as a means of hedging long term trades, but decided not to go through with it, didn't realise there was more to options than just closing above strike price, there's delta theta gamma , implied volatility etc

I had horrible experiences of "wide stops" being hit then turn around to go the original direction.

To use an example: i was short the $/swiss on 11th March around 1.1680 stop 1.1880. look at the charts then you'll see what I mean:)

yeh well , you get stopped out what like 30-40% of your trades anyway so better nut up or shut up :)