Stoploss.......Theory of Failure.

Any business enterprise that relies on the ruthless cutting of losses to provide a "profit" has serious flaws.

I suspect that any business that ignores its losses and bimbles along on its merry way racking up losses without consideration to prevention has a few flaws of its own, for as long as it remains a business.

roguetrader said:
Hi barjon, this concept of no stoploss of any kind appears to hinge on the principle that a corectly analysed and selected trade will most times exhibit a profit at some point in its life, if you hold it for long enough, however what the model would fail to show if this were the case is what use the capital tied up in the trade could have been put to in the meantime.

rt

I think he catered for that in the various trend periods? Another point he makes is that when a price shock occurs stops are often filled far from their intended level and can actually be filled at the worst point of the move. He also maintains that a system should not be profitable because of stops, but must work before stops are introduced.

All interesting stuff.

good trading

jon

Kiwi said:
Stridsmann does a few studies of adding stop losses to systems. In all cases they reduce the overall profitability of the systems (we all know how often price comes back just after hitting the stop). His arguements for them are two fold:
- to provide a defined risk that is used for money management/risk control; and
- to reduce the variability of your systems results (std deviation)

Both of these points improve your potential return when using agressive money management.

Hi Kiwi,

Please advise more info on Stridsmann book.
I cant get any meaninigful hits on "google", "amazon" or "global-investor" (e-bookshop)

I am most interested in finding out about his studies.
Thanks,

trendie said:
Please advise more info on Stridsmann book.
I cant get any meaninigful hits on "google", "amazon" or "global-investor" (e-bookshop)

Thanks,

Re-enter your search with only one 'n' at the end of his name

Dukati is a fundamental trader, so I understand where he is coming from. If I was a fundamental (therefore long term) trader I wouldn't worry about stop losses. I would buy a stock using a modest fraction of my capital, would not use any margin and hold the stock as long as necessary, until the fundamentals changed. If I used just 5% of my capital, I wouldn't really worry much about possibility of the stock crashing to zero. My risk is just 5%, whatever happens.

If however I am using margin and/or trading instruments with expiry dates, then I have to manage my risks. Otherwise I will get wiped out very soon. I have done it once: blowing my spread betting capital of £2,000 because I decided at that time that if I am man enough I don't need stop losses.

In summary, you have to manage your total risk in a position, either by buying stocks using cash and no margin, or by using pre-determined point where you will get out.

Last edited:
I think stops, and where to place them and how much capital you allow for a stop is an art form in its self. The pitfalls of a badly placed stop(s) can be quite catastrophic far any account. We know that obvious stop positions can be 'taken out' by the market, but if there is such an obvious position to place a stop why place it there in the first place? Coin tossing, daytrading and an exceptional eye for a stop may be all we need? I am of course only joking about the coin tossing bit, but may i be bold enough to say that stops can cost you if placed in the wrong area (which will probably because of inexperience). Rigid stop values? or flexible stop values (depending on market conditions)? What do you all think? RB.

Trailing stops? I may be wrong, but are they just a market 'gimmick'? Because it may be me? But why use a trailing stop? I would like a serious answer, because i cannot get my head around them! RB.

RUDEBOY said:
Trailing stops? I may be wrong, but are they just a market 'gimmick'? Because it may be me? But why use a trailing stop? I would like a serious answer, because i cannot get my head around them! RB.

Kin ell :rolleyes:

Now this is a good one (for myself at least). When were trailing stops first introduced to the market? There's more as Jimmy Cricket would say! RB.

Neil, come on, it's not that bad.......or is it?

I don't know any traders, except on T2W! So that brings me to the conclusion that everyone i know are mad! Because everybody i know allways goes on about a business, a scheme, an idea on how to make money. I never really talk about the markets except on here. So you will have to excuse me. TRY THE MARKETS, AND BE SOMEBODY! RB!

Last edited by a moderator:
RUDEBOY said:
I think stops, and where to place them and how much capital you allow for a stop is an art form in its self. The pitfalls of a badly placed stop(s) can be quite catastrophic far any account. We know that obvious stop positions can be 'taken out' by the market, but if there is such an obvious position to place a stop why place it there in the first place? Coin tossing, daytrading and an exceptional eye for a stop may be all we need? I am of course only joking about the coin tossing bit, but may i be bold enough to say that stops can cost you if placed in the wrong area (which will probably because of inexperience). Rigid stop values? or flexible stop values (depending on market conditions)? What do you all think? RB.

You can't have rigid stoplosses IMO. The markets are not that black and white. If they were we would all be rich discussing this over singapore slings in the Raffles laughing at Nick leeson et al.

IMO you have to take your losses according to the trade, not an excel sheet telling you your max this that and the other, it can't be kept that simply.

RUDEBOY said:

Beyond me too.

wasp, thanks for the replies! RUDE!

Do the 'big boys' use trailing stops? RB!

No problem!

I just can't understand how you can predetermine the loss until you see the way the market is moving.

And as for trailing stops, I've tried them before and they don't work for me. The market tells me entries and exits, using trailing stops cuts up what could have been good. If I think its not moving any further I get out, not wait to see 5/10/20 pips dissapear before takinga profit.

Are trailing stops a market fluidity enhancer? RB. Who's hands are you playing into using them (or am i being paranoid and using conspiracy) Rudeploy?

Anyway, thanks for the replies wasp! Much appreciated. RB!

Disagreement is surely part of the markets at least?

Visualise this! Two traders, each say to each other........"I can see where you are coming from", one goes long and the other short! Why?

This is the T2W concept!

Don't try to be so friendly all the time! Trading is so ruthless that in the dictionary under ruthless it says......"see trading".

I've deleted a couple of posts to try and forestall this thread becoming the week-end duelling ground. :rolleyes:

barjon, i agree. The weekends do seem 'nasty', to say the least. Maybe people have too much time on thier hands? RUDE!

KIWI;

Stridsmann does a few studies of adding stop losses to systems. In all cases they reduce the overall profitability of the systems (we all know how often price comes back just after hitting the stop). His arguements for them are two fold:

Kiwi, although the discussion has now moved on somewhat, you were absolutely correct in this point.

Now the relevant question to ask is;
Mechanical systems that run a no "STOPLOSS" methodology, are they "TECHNICAL" or QUANTITATIVE" systems.

Nick Radge, who I know a little, and who is the Head of Systems Trading for Maquarie Bank in Australia, runs a number of mechanical systems, at least 1 of them the Quant. runs with no stops, this is far and away the most profitable.

FRUGI;

I am dispossessed of any accountancy skills so am unable to distinguish between a cost of doing business and a cost on profit margins; at least, in this discussion, I view them as much the same since in either case the profit is kept separate. The cost of doing business will transfer a cost onto the profit margin, as it were, so why the need to distinguish between them? Of course there may be a real difference on ledgered paper but the important point is to ensure that the total stop losses taken only form a small percentahge of the total profits.

A subtle difference and not worth really pursuing further than;
If you had a supermarket with $10M Capital investment ( a large enterprise )
Could you run it singlehanded?
If the answer is no, then employees are a cost of doing business.

If you had $10M trading Capital;
Could you run this money singlehanded?
If the answer is yes,
Then a stoploss is not a cost of doing business.

A stoploss is utilised to ......STOP LOSSES..

In the final analysis a stoploss is VITAL to a trader because the METHODOLOGY viz. Technical Analysis, has POOR TRADE SELECTION.

Because of this sad fact a stoploss becomes very important to protect the trader from poor trade selection.

If you had excellent trade selection, then the requirement for a stoploss is redundant.
I use no stops.
( famous last words ).....I have not lost 1 PENNY in 18mths. I HAVE had periods of drawdown, and 1 of my live posted trades went into drawdown for about 2 weeks or so, but, the fact remains, no losses.

As a technical trader, I took hundreds of small losses through the years, due to the necessity of doing so, as a direct consequence of poor trade selection due to the inherent worthlessness of TA.

That is not to say you cannot make money from TA, you can, I did, others do. However it is difficult not because the theory of TA is difficult, far from it, it is easy, what is difficult is the OVERCOMING OF THE FAILURE RATE OF TRADE SELECTION as selected by TA.

TRADER333;

All the traders I know who didnt use stoplosses are now Ex traders with insufficient funds to be able to trade with. Personally I would rather use stoplosses and be able to trade another day.

Sure, poor trade selection without stops will kill you.

BARJON;

Despite these results, he says, it is difficult to trade without a clear idea of risk.

Now we get to the crux of the issue.
Stoplosses do not assess risk, they do not measure risk, they only save you from inappropriate risk.

Risk and it's assessment should be the starting point. But it never is, hence poor trade selection and the necessity for stops.

GLENN;

When you enter a trade, anything can happen no matter what you may think, or why.

Agreed, the future is unknown, and unknowable.

Once you have placed your trade, you are entirely at the mercy of all the other traders of that instrument as to its direction thereafter.

Absolutely not. Hence your incomplete understanding of risk, and risk management.

ROGUE;

Hi barjon, this concept of no stoploss of any kind appears to hinge on the principle that a corectly analysed and selected trade will most times exhibit a profit at some point in its life, if you hold it for long enough, however what the model would fail to show if this were the case is what use the capital tied up in the trade could have been put to in the meantime.

You have got it.
Time, and timeframes as previously mentioned is a different topic, but hugely relevant. No point placing a trade that takes 3yrs to show a profit.

PRATBH;

Dukati is a fundamental trader, so I understand where he is coming from. If I was a fundamental (therefore long term) trader I wouldn't worry about stop losses. I would buy a stock using a modest fraction of my capital, would not use any margin and hold the stock as long as necessary, until the fundamentals changed. If I used just 5% of my capital, I wouldn't really worry much about possibility of the stock crashing to zero. My risk is just 5%, whatever happens.

An alternate form of risk management. Spot on.
Now, combined with trade selection you have a trading methodology that requires no stops.

cheers d998

Ahhhhh, thats where you are comming from? Time frame perspective! Ducatti, why did you not say before?