Stop Loss

I use hourly charts for determining my entries and I calculate my targets and stops BEFORE my entry. Typically my trade lasts for one or two days, although last week I stayed long on CHF for three days, the week before I stayed short for the whole week. Sometimes I stay for just some hours, it all depends on the speed of price.

Yes, I can see there have been moves of that magnitude, but how can you possibly know, in advance, that a move is going to be that sustained? You could be going for 150 pips, and find that it turns against you at 149 ... then goes right back where you started. (or beyond...to your stop). I can't see how you could have any degree of success, as it seems to happen far too infrequently.

Stop loss should be based on time frame you are trading . lets say you are long AAPL and you get a sell signal on 1 min time frame then you dump equivalent to ( Pos Size lower time frame - pos size next adjacent higher time frame ).. lets say the pos size on 1 min is 2000 and 1200 on 5 min then you dump 800 and so on . This is called dynamic stop loss based on how badly your position goes against you .

If you want to know more join Technical Trader BB on this BB and read some proper algorithms to do the job professionally ..

Grey1

FutureMillionaire? said:
Yes, I can see there have been moves of that magnitude, but how can you possibly know, in advance, that a move is going to be that sustained? You could be going for 150 pips, and find that it turns against you at 149 ... then goes right back where you started. (or beyond...to your stop). I can't see how you could have any degree of success, as it seems to happen far too infrequently.
Let me explain more thoroughly. I never know in advance if a move is going to be large or exhaust in seconds. Never! Moreover you can never be sure about anything in the market. That's just why you (and everyone) do have losses. But everything I'm speaking about is probability. What I do know is that statistically I would have an opportunity here to gain some 100 or 200 pips risking only 50 or 70. And also statistically I do know that the probability of a success is, say, 50%. From basic math you can easily judge that it's enough to put some money at stake right at this situation.
As to the price not reaching the target exactly - if I'm before the monitor, I can close the position manually if I see that there're some 3 or 5 pips left and the market has become slow moving, or if I'm away from my computer I'd place a stop order a bit further and a limit order a bit tighter. If you trading some 10 to 20 pips this method won't work because you'll always have stops equal or greater than targets, but if we're talking now targets 2 to 4 times greater than stops, it's just OK to adjust levels for some 10 pips.
When you speak about the frequency of trading opportunities, you should bear in mind the time horizon at which you're going to trade. For me, it's years. I prefer to stay rather conservative with some 100 to 200 per cent a year but stable, making profits regularly and risking not more than a precisely calculated share of my deposit. For someone else maybe it's too long to wait. When I started trading I saw the volatility and thought - hell, what for to wait for days to gain those damn 100 pips when I can quickly whipsaw them within several hours? Just buy and sell, buy and sell... I think I don't need to say that I wasted my first deposit (luckily a demo one) very quickly. Only after some time I realized that this point of view is self-indulgence, I took the desirable for real. There are of course methods of trading volatility, especially on stocks and futures, they are called scalping, but in the long run the profitability of such techniques is nearly the same as of position trading I'm trying to explain and they are certainly not suitable for a beginner. In other words, it's an illusion that you can earn more on regular basis trading short movements on small time-frames.
As always, good luck.

Grey1 said:
If you want to know more join Technical Trader BB on this BB and read some proper algorithms to do the job professionally ..

Grey1

Yes, thankyou. I'd like to do that, but I can't see where you mean. Can you paste a link to it?

Thanks very much

Futuremillionaire,

These guys are being very patient with you. You seem to be asking really basic stuff though. My advice would be to read read and then read some more, firstly. I came on here embarrassed to ask questions until I thought I knew what I was talking about. I am still on that steep learning curve too don't get me wrong. You need to work, and work damned hard, if you want to become what your name suggests. I suggest doing some groundwork for yourself first and then if you have a problem with specifics ask someone to help.

Let me know if you would like useful links and details of the stuff that I have used to help me. Some are better than others. You will find a wealth of information on t'interweb, and a lot for free aswell.

Get to it mate, as nike says 'just do it'.... (mods please edit if I'm not allowed to advertise, I do not have anything to do with nike before anyone asks!) ;)

All the very best in your endeavour.

I have spent months reading up on the subject, and watching tutorials. It all sounds great in theory, but suddenly, when doing it for real, it all changes .. as you get caught up with the emotion.

I swore I would be cool and calculated, but it doesn't happen like that. For example, I was just on the cable, when the price spiked. This coincided with the UK CBI Industrial Trends Survey .. so I jumped on it. I put a tight stop, in case I was wrong. ...... I was! Lost more money.

Learning hurts!

Yes, I would love whatever links etc that you can give me. I'm just soaking up all I can find at the moment. Hopefully, it'll all click into place.

damianoakley said:
Firstly, divide what you want to risk (the £100) by the number of pips you are risking (30 pips) = 3.3333333.

I'm obviously missing something here. Surely this, £3.3333333 per pip with a 30 pip stop will equate to your £100 maximum loss. Where does the rest of it come in? Isn't it just complicating the issue?

Future,
by some unknown reason you stay deaf to my advice - stop trading with real money immediately, study the nature of price movement, then charts, then existing methods and then build a consistent trading system. All your mistakes and headache and pain and emotions are all deriving from the simple fact that you DO NOT HAVE a trading system. Believe me, everything written in books is ture and it works, you only have to decide for yourself how to apply it to your own trading. For example, moving averages are believed to be misleading indicators, and of course if you place trades only on movings cross-overs you'll be very soon wiped out. But if you let yourself think just a little bit about why this happens, and what exactly these same moving averages display, you can use this in fact very powerful tool for your benefit. The same with all other things described in books; until you understand what's happening on market, what are the factors which influence the price, you'll be like blind in a labyrinth. Start off with some very basic course not on trading but on the structure of the FX markets, on the instruments traded here and on who and how affects the price. There's a nice book from Reuters, dedicated to money markets (unfortunately I cannot recall the name, but Google always helps). Then you'll understand that there're a lot of situations where you might have a statistical advantage to gain some profit and how to determine these situations. This will allow you to build a trading system. Then you can go back to paprt-trading first and then - to playing with real money.

Doctor Leo said:
Future,
by some unknown reason you stay deaf to my advice - stop trading with real money immediately,

Others have advised that you can't beat the real thing for learning.

I'm still reading and soaking up information, but I still want to 'play' in a small way whilst I do so. Each time, honing my methods, until I do have a system ... as you advise.

FutureMillionaire? said:
I'm obviously missing something here. Surely this, £3.3333333 per pip with a 30 pip stop will equate to your £100 maximum loss. Where does the rest of it come in? Isn't it just complicating the issue?

The rest comes in because I assumed you were trading a GBP broker account. The 3.3333333 is dollars not pounds, so you would need to convert your position size first if you are trading a GBP account.

If you are trading a USD broker account, then your purchase would be 3 lots and not 6.

If you're struggling, feel free to drop me a personal email.

Thanks

Damian