Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

Daily statements now resumed here, but loads of requotes, no replies to e-mails, live help never available. There is/was someone answering the phone earlier this week, though.:)

Thanks for the reply,Erm... sounds promising.:cheesy:

The last time i experienced loads of re-quotes was when the markets last tanked in August, seemed like damage limitation at the time.(n)

Last edited by a moderator:
As expected, SLM's inability to recognise TP orders has resulted in my demo account being wiped out today. My TP on the USD/CHF trade was breached by 74 pips, but was not closed. The inevitable reverse took me out. Incidentally, during my trial period, I only ever had 2 SL's hit, right on the nose.
Instantly! The TP's were a different matter. I think I'll be smart and open my live account elsewhere.

As expected, SLM's inability to recognise TP orders has resulted in my demo account being wiped out today. My TP on the USD/CHF trade was breached by 74 pips, but was not closed. The inevitable reverse took me out. Incidentally, during my trial period, I only ever had 2 SL's hit, right on the nose.
Instantly! The TP's were a different matter. I think I'll be smart and open my live account elsewhere.

Erm, one trade wiped you out. What money mangement was you using?

Are you sure? Never had any problems with stops or limits triggering on live platform, and a wiped out demo account is hardly a major disaster.

Really? No daily confirmations here, no replies to emails although no problems trading, no re quotes but live help on their website is never live, so as much use as a chocolate tea cosy.

God forbid if i had any real problems. I hope they man their phone lines. Erm...anyone phoned since they changed their name?

Can't comment on the website as I always use the phone and have no problems getting through or getting answers.

I recently deposited quite a bit but to my shame all the nonsense on this thread had me so concerned I opened an account with Alpari UK. I found the customer service so poor I didn't fund it but had a long chat with James and Paul at SLM. I was satisfied with all their answers so had no worries depositing in the end.

Glad I did now :)

Can't comment on the website as I always use the phone and have no problems getting through or getting answers.

I recently deposited quite a bit but to my shame all the nonsense on this thread had me so concerned I opened an account with Alpari UK. I found the customer service so poor I didn't fund it but had a long chat with James and Paul at SLM. I was satisfied with all their answers so had no worries depositing in the end.

Glad I did now :)
Whilst not wanting to go off the subject of this (dedicated SLM) thread, but of possible interest to anybody else tempted to try Alpari, I had a distastrous experience with this company. I applied some time ago for a live account, having been quite successful with their demo account, but was refused facilities to trade with them live for no good reason that I can see. I have never been refused by any other financial institution and have a clean credit history, but they just would not tell me why I had been refused apart from saying that I had 'failed their internal security checks'.

The point I make is not to bitch and bind about my problems with Alpari, whom in hindsight I am glad I never invested in, but to point out that successful demo trading may be watched by some brokers (probably not SLM) and used as a warning to them of a possible successful live punter who may make more than he or she loses. Food for thought guys?

Whilst not wanting to go off the subject of this (dedicated SLM) thread, but of possible interest to anybody else tempted to try Alpari, I had a distastrous experience with this company. I applied some time ago for a live account, having been quite successful with their demo account, but was refused facilities to trade with them live for no good reason that I can see. I have never been refused by any other financial institution and have a clean credit history, but they just would not tell me why I had been refused apart from saying that I had 'failed their internal security checks'.

The point I make is not to bitch and bind about my problems with Alpari, whom in hindsight I am glad I never invested in, but to point out that successful demo trading may be watched by some brokers (probably not SLM) and used as a warning to them of a possible successful live punter who may make more than he or she loses. Food for thought guys?

Did you use your real personal info when signing up for a demo account? I'm just curious as to how they knew it was you on their demo account thats all.

Thanks

Did you use your real personal info when signing up for a demo account? I'm just curious as to how they knew it was you on their demo account thats all.

Thanks

Yes, not all the live account personal info of course, but I think all of them want some basic stuff such as your name, address, email, phone number etc when you sign up for a demo.

I use smart live markets and have never had a problem. Infact i tried all sorts of spreadbetting platforms including IG index, GFT, Capital spreads to name a few. i found them all slightly to confusing and over designed. And i the charts were never brilliant.

I personally dont think you can beat the metatrader platform for retail trading and so being able to spread bet using this platform is brilliant. Thats why i use smart live markets.

They always get back to you or call you if you have any problems and the spreads are reasonable so have never had any complaints.

I use smart live markets and have never had a problem. Infact i tried all sorts of spreadbetting platforms including IG index, GFT, Capital spreads to name a few. i found them all slightly to confusing and over designed. And i the charts were never brilliant.

I personally dont think you can beat the metatrader platform for retail trading and so being able to spread bet using this platform is brilliant. Thats why i use smart live markets.

They always get back to you or call you if you have any problems and the spreads are reasonable so have never had any complaints.
I find out that trading with SLM does not suit my trading style, too many re-quotes on market orders. If you feel they are very good for you, then go for it. I like the MT4 platform, although trading with market orders in volatile market has its limitations. With limit order I guess one will be just fine. I had some problem earlier with slippage, maybe SLM have solved this by now.

Good things on them.

1. FSA regulated
2. If you're from the UK, tax free spread betting is very nice to have
3. The minimum stake of 10p/pip is significantly smaller than other spread bet brokers
4. The MetaTrader 4 platform is popular with beginners, and allows automated trading

Yes I agree Angie and as a swing and position trader they are a good outfit for me.

In the interests of balance I can point out folks who use EAs do have some complaints, something to do with occasional data feed loss messing them up, I don't know anything about EAs lol.

Also I, currently, won't recommend SLM to scalpers as slippage and multiple requotes are common in volatile markets but as I don't scalp I can't compare this to other brokers.

Horses for courses.

Hi Angie,

Good things on them.

1. FSA regulated
2. If you're from the UK, tax free spread betting is very nice to have
3. The minimum stake of 10p/pip is significantly smaller than other spread bet brokers
4. The MetaTrader 4 platform is popular with beginners, and allows automated trading

Strangely enough I agree with you too. I don't suppose this rings any bells with you does it?

The Good Things About Smart Live

How about this one also?

Smart Live Markets Renamed GKFX

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Mr. Moderator (if there is such a thing in here?),

Yes I agree Angie and as a swing and position trader they are a good outfit for me.

In the interests of balance I can point out folks who use EAs do have some complaints, something to do with occasional data feed loss messing them up, I don't know anything about EAs lol.

Also I, currently, won't recommend SLM to scalpers as slippage and multiple requotes are common in volatile markets but as I don't scalp I can't compare this to other brokers.

Horses for courses.

In all the circumstances I thought I might take this opportunity to restate the Trading Gurus plagiarism policy.

We don't mind people quoting small chunks of our content, as long as proper attribution accompanies the quote. A link will suffice.

If you want to quote large chunks or entire articles please ask our permission first, using the contact form on our website. Such permission is usually given, as long as the quote is not used out of context and is accompanied by proper attribution.

Contact Us

Thanks in anticipation,

Jim

In all the circumstances I thought I might take this opportunity to restate the Trading Gurus plagiarism policy.

We don't mind people quoting small chunks of our content, as long as proper attribution accompanies the quote. A link will suffice.

If you want to quote large chunks or entire articles please ask our permission first, using the contact form on our website. Such permission is usually given, as long as the quote is not used out of context and is accompanied by proper attribution.

Contact Us

Thanks in anticipation,

Jim

If you want to quote diatribe about copyright/plagarism on someone elses website get a lawyer.

Hi Francis,

If you want to quote diatribe about copyright/plagarism on someone elses website get a lawyer.

Thanks for your suggestion Francis, but I don't need a lawyer. As luck would have it I'd actually much prefer it if all lawyers were made redundant. Yesterday if not sooner.

Have a nice day. Have a nice life for that matter, however much is left of it.

Cheers,

Jim

Contact Us

Thanks in anticipation,

Jim

Hi Jim, as that post was directed in response to my post would you care to tell me what on earth you are on about please?

I have no interest in visiting your site (nobody does) or quoting from it, in fact I think you are quoting me if some very similar wording appears on your site.

Not really interested in an argument with some internet randomer, you probably think it might drum up some interest in said website. It won't, try not to degrade yourself further. :eek:

Last edited:
Evening Jaroon,

I'm still at my keyboard, idling away the time waiting for BT to call me back. Do you suppose pigs might eventually sprout wings? Maybe short stubby ones?

Hi Jim, as that post was directed in response to my post would you care to tell me what on earth you are on about please?

I have no interest in visiting your site (nobody does) or quoting from it, in fact I think you are quoting me if some very similar wording appears on your site.

If you had bothered to click my link you would have quickly discovered that the words quoted by Angie and requoted by your good self were written by yours truly and posted on the World Wide Interweb at 10:33 PM on November 21st 2010. Seems as though Angie for one had some sort of an interest in visiting the TG forum at some point between then and now, doesn't it?

Not really interested in an argument with some internet randomer, you probably think it might drum up some interest in said website. It won't, try not to degrade yourself further. :eek:

Would you be interested to learn that there is a certain etiquette in these matters, generally amicably adhered to by reputable web sites?

Nighty, night.

Jim

lunatic alert.

theres more than a few on this forum.

Jim,

no one cares about what you may have written in 2010.

and as for what you write these days - some unlucky sod got slipped 182 pips on a fat fingered erroneous trade, oanda, GO et al reversed the trade.

guess who didn't?

if you are going to go all loony on a forum do it on your own one, there is a certain etiquette in these matters, generally amicably adhered to by reputable web sites?

ah shiite ive plagarised.

Morning Francis,

lunatic alert.

theres more than a few on this forum.

So I noticed

no one cares about what you may have written in 2010.

I do!

as for what you write these days - some unlucky sod got slipped 182 pips on a fat fingered erroneous trade, oanda, GO et al reversed the trade.

guess who didn't?

Got any logs of the incident you want to share by any chance?

if you are going to go all loony on a forum do it on your own one, there is a certain etiquette in these matters, generally amicably adhered to by reputable web sites?

ah shiite ive plagarised.

Tsk, Tsk. There's a principle at stake here you know Francis. Mind you, I suppose lunatics don't have any principles?

Jim