Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

The thing that grinds my gears is that it such a crying shame. I have about 1% of my trading capital in SLM. If their execution, reliability and customer service were just a bit better (ok perhaps more than a bit), I would put a lot more in there. I am sure everyone else would.

(Instead I have to mess about keeping track of my capital gains :-|)

I don't know if they are just greedy, incompetent or perhaps under equipped. Whatever it is, I wish they would sort it out.

I have probably lost around 100 pips this week due to requotes or trade context busy.

Quite a few times when i could not exit and got 3 requotes, which resulted in losing around 25 pips on Ws30 today

Call me paranoid, but my suspicion is that often you only get filled if the price immediately moves against you. Even if the price doesn't change you get an invalid message and requote. The amount that this happens seems to change from day to day, and not necessarily with market volativity, so possibly the platform is 'adjusted' as part of SLM's risk control?

Unlike other SBs, MT4 shows tics, so I think this theory could be checked by videoing some live trading, if anyone can be bothered.

Unlike other SBs, MT4 shows tics, so I think this theory could be checked by videoing some live trading, if anyone can be bothered.

I might have a go at an EA for something similar this week. All my orders entries are done by a script that will loop until the order is placed. It obviously writes to the journal if it gets invalid price or requote and then writes the price and time the order is placed at. If i put an EA on the chart that logs tick (time and price) it should be a simple case of comparing the journal to the EA output to see what direction price was moving in when the order gets filled or when it doesnt.

Thing is i already run an EA on all the charts for stop management so doing this might be a bit of a ball ache (unless i put the logging code in the stop management EA).

I might have a go at an EA for something similar this week. All my orders entries are done by a script that will loop until the order is placed. It obviously writes to the journal if it gets invalid price or requote and then writes the price and time the order is placed at. If i put an EA on the chart that logs tick (time and price) it should be a simple case of comparing the journal to the EA output to see what direction price was moving in when the order gets filled or when it doesnt.

Thing is i already run an EA on all the charts for stop management so doing this might be a bit of a ball ache (unless i put the logging code in the stop management EA).

It would be an interesting exercise if you do have the time and inclination, MN. Incidentally, are you affected by the extra decimals in markets like WS30, where the price appears to move in whole points ('.0'), but if you set an order with a decimal it apparently gets filled at that level?

Call me paranoid, but my suspicion is that often you only get filled if the price immediately moves against you. Even if the price doesn't change you get an invalid message and requote. The amount that this happens seems to change from day to day, and not necessarily with market volativity, so possibly the platform is 'adjusted' as part of SLM's risk control?

I cba, could you, it's a waste of time. You, me and the whole trading world know how the meta trader plug in works, no traders have to deal with a company who isn't stp/ndd/ECN.. I gave a heads up months back on this thread up as to how the plug in works, the reason an sb firm would choose to adopt meta trader for spread betting has nothing to do with being able to deliver the spread better a higher level of service, or more flexibility, it's simply an unmissable opportunity to queer the pitch..

Give it up, don't waste your energy, concentrate on what works for you, not what doesn't, there's plenty of firms out there doing the 'right thing' by their customers...Never give a firm a second chance...ever..

Never give a firm a second chance...ever..
You are a hard boiled fellow. Capital Spread works fine these days, the same goes for the other SB companies that initially have had platform problems. But in a sense I agree, one shouldn't waste too much time on these companies that doesn't deliver a good service. As you said there are a lot of good companies out there.

I cba, could you, it's a waste of time. You, me and the whole trading world know how the meta trader plug in works, no traders have to deal with a company who isn't stp/ndd/ECN.. I gave a heads up months back on this thread up as to how the plug in works, the reason an sb firm would choose to adopt meta trader for spread betting has nothing to do with being able to deliver the spread better a higher level of service, or more flexibility, it's simply an unmissable opportunity to queer the pitch..

Give it up, don't waste your energy, concentrate on what works for you, not what doesn't, there's plenty of firms out there doing the 'right thing' by their customers...Never give a firm a second chance...ever..

As posted previously, I have given up, as much because of SLM's attitude as the platform issues, even if these really are foibles of MT4.

To any new readers try to take the repeated, constant moaning on this thread with a large pinch of salt. Anyone one who has so much trouble with a broker and continues to use them and moan, month after month, has an agenda.

I have traded with SLM for nine months full time and and very happy with both execution and customer service and frankly, I like Pauls no nonsense attitude to to some.

Maybe SLM suits swing traders, I don't use EAs, I don't scalp and I don't trade news, I don't have any complaints.

To any new readers try to take the repeated, constant moaning on this thread with a large pinch of salt. Anyone one who has so much trouble with a broker and continues to use them and moan, month after month, has an agenda.

I have traded with SLM for nine months full time and and very happy with both execution and customer service and frankly, I like Pauls no nonsense attitude to to some.

Maybe SLM suits swing traders, I don't use EAs, I don't scalp and I don't trade news, I don't have any complaints.

Presumably as a swing trader you enter and exit with orders a few times a week, in which case a few points lost here and there are of no significance. I find it hard to believe you haven't had invalid price messages when trying to enter or exit at market.

Presumably as a swing trader you enter and exit with orders a few times a week, in which case a few points lost here and there are of no significance. I find it hard to believe you haven't had invalid price messages when trying to enter or exit at market.

I take 5-10 trades a week, I rarely get invalid prices, maybe 1 in 20, 1 in 10 at worst, never more than 2 requotes and as often as not they are in my favour. They make no
difference to my strategy, mental state or profitability.

I think you miss the point Jaroon,
Just because your strategy doesnt depend on the accuracy and speed of execution, doesnt mean that you shouldn't expect it.

Re: Meta Trader 4

I didn't know any SB firm used MetaTrader. They seem to be quite a new firm. Anyone tried them yet?

yeah i jus joined with them recently, not got enough experience with them to know whether they are "good" or "bad" but so far its been a fairly painless process, quick and easy registration, quick funding of account via card and they number of instruements one can trade, be it cfd or sb is decent.

will update if i come across anything else!:smart:

I think you miss the point Jaroon,
Just because your strategy doesnt depend on the accuracy and speed of execution, doesnt mean that you shouldn't expect it.

Fair enough Chris but I think you missed my point. If you're not happy with the service, post your experience and move on. I visit this thread maybe once a month and the same voices are making the same complaints and I just don't get it. I can only believe there is more to it I'm afraid, because to trade with someone you don't rate simply makes no sense.

Now I think of it, I posted the same message last month but deleted it as I didn't think it took the thread anywhere but this month I thought I'd post for the sake of new readers.

Last edited: