Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

I'm running MT4 using Virtual server machines on Windows XP using a basic dual core AMD with 2GB of RAM. I have two MT4 platforms running independantly one using Smartlive the other is linked to another broker, one server is solely an IIS server with FTP configured. The main XP box is running intensive VB scripts 24 hours a day and the total CPU useage is about 60% max when the script is analysing the data. It might be worth looking at the virtual route soley for the MT4 platforms as it allows you to run multiple broker platforms on one standard workstation box. I use a VM package called Oracle Virtual box and it's free open source software. Definately worth looking into if you'd like to simultaneously test MT4 platforms on a very basic PC system. I have to say Smartlive on MT4 is working smooth a silk so far - fingers crossed. :)

I'm running MT4 using Virtual server machines on Windows XP using a basic dual core AMD with 2GB of RAM. I have two MT4 platforms running independantly one using Smartlive the other is linked to another broker, one server is solely an IIS server with FTP configured. The main XP box is running intensive VB scripts 24 hours a day and the total CPU useage is about 60% max when the script is analysing the data. It might be worth looking at the virtual route soley for the MT4 platforms as it allows you to run multiple broker platforms on one standard workstation box. I use a VM package called Oracle Virtual box and it's free open source software. Definately worth looking into if you'd like to simultaneously test MT4 platforms on a very basic PC system. I have to say Smartlive on MT4 is working smooth a silk so far - fingers crossed. :)

yeah i build everything in VM's - snapshots are brilliant to just go back to where i was.
the problem really is MT4 and other components that run like pigs.
im running a digital filter on this particular system and the lag setting just makes everything grind to a halt - its just MT4.....
i have changed the setting in the range bars to update every millisecond as opposed to realtime but its still painful - did i mention i run vista - oh yes. im so lazy i cant be bothered to change it back to xp - its cack for running vms too...

ill go back to a desktop soon with enough wack to run several vms in workstation....

best of a bad job as im running stuff not as it was intended - ie to the max.

Hi
Absolutely, and I would not suggest anything else.
Also of course members can help each other as well.
We just want to provide the best service to clients we can.

Regards
SLM
Have you been considering offering the DAX30SB at 1 point spread an hour earlier in the morning? Most of the SB companies switch from off hours trading to this timing for the DAX index.

Anyone besides me have a problem with slippage? This especially on the stop loss.

SLM
One Thing I would point out to owners is that I would suggest they try and get a faster feed. This morning's spike down (GBPUSD) on news was over 2 seconds slower than all my other brokers. I have noticed this on other news releases as well....Maybe it is just my connection to SB. But I doubt it because I have AUS broker that has quicker chart updates during news.... Maybe something to watch.... I haven't tried to see if the old prices are tradeable but would be a shame for you if they are because it seems to be rigged against you!

hth
ll

SLM
One Thing I would point out to owners is that I would suggest they try and get a faster feed. This morning's spike down (GBPUSD) on news was over 2 seconds slower than all my other brokers. I have noticed this on other news releases as well....Maybe it is just my connection to SB. But I doubt it because I have AUS broker that has quicker chart updates during news.... Maybe something to watch.... I haven't tried to see if the old prices are tradeable but would be a shame for you if they are because it seems to be rigged against you!

hth
ll

You're obviously new to trading. It's not often I see someone trying to help their broker :cheesy:

Sorry not new but do not want a broker who seems to care what happenning to clients, to get abused by news traders. Less than 1 Second delay is plenty to make a killing in news trading and I would prefer that doesn't happen to this broker...I make my money from market not brokers. (unless they bet against me http://www.trade2win.com/boards/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif)
Anyway I just hope they fix it for themselves!

LL

If they have put you on their interbank feed, then you will have a fair bit of slippage.
In that instant I traded the DAX, yes there were quite a movement but no gap, it just went through the stop. I do not bother to contact them at this stage, just testing their service with a very small amount of money. They probably would have corrected the slippage, if I have sent them an email.

In that instant I traded the DAX, yes there were quite a movement but no gap, it just went through the stop. I do not bother to contact them at this stage, just testing their service with a very small amount of money. They probably would have corrected the slippage, if I have sent them an email.

Sounds like 'designer slippage' to me, added by the SB for no other reason than they can.

Sounds like 'designer slippage' to me, added by the SB for no other reason than they can.
No, I don't think so, Smart Live Markets are probably "smarter" than that. Very important introducing a new platform, without playing silly games. I have had no more slippage since those incidents.

i got it too through the stop at nfp but hey ho par for the course.

dont expect to be on top with a retail account.

the only people who ever refunded me were dealingdesk then my account changed from being handled by a nice bloke to handled by some grumpy cow.

Last edited:
Have you tried a different operating system running MT4? I used to have a problem with it when I had everything running together on XP: Web services, VB scripts, MS Excel, Outlook, Browsers it was running at 60% CPU utilisation when the script was in idle mode but when they kicked in it maxed out at 100% for the 120 secs it took to run, the fans were going crazy it was the noise that annoyed me most it sounded like a Dyson hoover lol. I moved various sections of my setup to another system to lighten the resources and I found MT4 was using a lot resources.

So same box but changed the config XP just runs Excel, VB and demo MT4 for data analysis. Added two Server 2008 VMs 1 for live dealing with MT4 (500 MB allocated to the VM), the other for IIS and live dealing with another broker with MT4 (500 MB allocated). So in effect same box with 3 instances of MT4 on a bog standard XP box with 2GB. CPU utilisation right down to what I'd call normal conditions and no longer hits 100%. Why has it dramatically improved I really don't know but the server VMs certainly seem to have a positive affect.

I have been getting a bit more slipage with SLM lately. Not so much on stops but on entry orders. I trade 5 min charts so slipping me 4 points on an entry can make the trade a bit pointless. I have not 'lost' any money but i do scratch the trade and get out as soon as i am +ve then wait for a better opportunity.

I really doubt it is deliberate. I get exactly the same on the demo platform. Normally the fills with SLM are good but you do get some days/periods when you slipped or requoted a lot. If the live goes like this the demo also does it. No broker would deliberately slip demo accounts.

Will SLM be able to modify the platform so it is possible to manage your trades when the market has closed like you can with other platforms from other spreadbetting providers? It looks like you can only manage your trades inside market hours which can be inconvenient if you like to trade equities EOD.