Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

Good luck JD. I took a long break in the latter months of last year, and only got back into it slowly. It takes a while to get back in to the "feel" of the market, which in any case inevitably changes somewhat. I had only demo traded last year with SLM, never live (my live trading was almost all with Tradefair) so this year is 1st time ever live trading with MT4, and it's been "interesting", but once you get into it, it has "vanilla" SB platforms beat hands down.

Now, how something like Prospreads would compare is something different again, I suspect, and requiring needing to learn other ways of trading. Still, that's for the future.
The aim is to gradually progress from quite small to the equivalent of full-lot size, without having permanent adrenaline surge on the go all the time......that's the tricky bit.

Good luck and good trading :cool:

Just gone back to SLM after a break

And NO you don't need to spell it out BUT you should of kept this to yourself. Don't be surprised if you get a lot more re-quotes now lol

i share everything i find and use on the 4 main forums im on - take a look. Im in the process of setting up a blog with stuff that actually works and I will be packaging my software for free - I want help as many as I can make money - nothing would give me more satisfaction.

The platform is the platform. it is what it is. Its up to them to be as fast as Oanda. I simply run all the indicators on the Oanda system pick the indicator output up from experts\files and the ea on the SLM MT4 uses that data.

If i get requotes then i just publish the evidence - highly unlikely from a supposed brilliant vendor isn't it JD? - think about it. They say they are having to move to variable spread just because of this reason. So instead of trying to get the feed upto scratch they are now costing YOU the punter more, with the excuse that people are "having them over," with diatribe about people not being able to trade out of a paper bag. To me trading is making money, no matter how you do it. There is no set way to do it, only one set way in a vendors rulebook.

Im not surprised at anything anyone does connected with "trading." In the past I have worked in the city for funds & other city institutions. Its just sales, nothing more, I just wish some of you would cut the hype from what this all really is.

i implore you all to download http://fxtrade.oanda.com/trade-forex/metatrader/ and have a look. You just download it, install it and run a demo after setting up a practice account.

I do not work for or am affliated with the company I have mentioned, be nice to think social marketing didn't exist in this thread either.......hmmm?
:whistling

As I say please download the oanda MT4 and open both the slm MT4 and oanda tick and 1 min charts side by side - i might record it and post the vid.

I use MT4 through SLM and overall I am happy.
Compared to my live account elsewhere MT4 is so much better.

I have only emailed SLM a couple of times as I prefer to work out and get used to the platform by looking around and experimenting.
But when I have emailed them I have had a fast and polite response.

I have had a few requotes this morning when price was moving fast, it can be a bit frustrating but I can live with it.

I feel I am at last getting the hang of things and am thinking of opening a live account in the future.
Obviously I want to go with the best out there for my modest investment.

I am not a scalper but if I ever was do SLM have a problem with that?
Seen mentions of successful scalpers having accounts closed by other brokers.
I don't see why as the broker would get spread costs anyway and I beleive they hedge bets too.

A few weeks back someone questioned if anyone had attempted to take funds out of SLM, anyone with expereience with that?

I understand EU/US spread is going up from 1 to 1.5 pips but none of the other major pair spreads are increasing.
Wish GB/JPY would reduce from 6 points.

Francis, what are you saying the advantages/disadvantages are compared to Oanda? Are they UK based?
So busy ATM don't want to download the Oanda MT4 unless it is quite a bit better.
I am in the UK by the way.

A few weeks back someone questioned if anyone had attempted to take funds out of SLM, anyone with expereience with that?

Francis, what are you saying the advantages/disadvantages are compared to Oanda? Are they UK based?

So busy ATM don't want to download the Oanda MT4 unless it is quite a bit better.
I am in the UK by the way.

On SLM getting funds on and off is easy but to get funds off you have to activate the withdrawal with a code which is posted to you after your first deposit. Its a once only activation.

Oanda has UK banking facilities in the UK but Oanda is not a UK based. Plus max leverage 50:1 and lower on some other pairs. Canada based I think.

Getting Funds on and off takes forever compared to the minutes it takes with SLM. This was the major turn off for me with Oanda plus when the Leverage was reduced due to new laws across the pond.

I have been using SmartLive demo, and I'm impressed.
I just opened an account. Before I install, is there a way I can keep the demo version for research, and install the 'live' version to run separately?
(I apologise for this basic question, but I am a Mac user - I run SML in a virtual Win XP window)
Thanks

I just opened an account. Before I install, is there a way I can keep the demo version for research, and install the 'live' version to run separately?
(I apologise for this basic question, but I am a Mac user - I run SML in a virtual Win XP window)
Thanks

Unlike a lot of windows stuff MT4 keeps itself to itself. What i mean by this is you can simply copy the MetaTrader Folder (or in this case SmartLiveMarkets folder) and paste with a different name. Dont know much about mac but i guess it should work. Meta Trader is pretty simple.

Another great thing about MT4 is that you can download a free EA that turns the strategy tester into simulator for manual trading systems. Means you can realistically backtest a manual system.

Thanks

Yes no need to install again just open a live account and you can switch with ease on login to either live or demo. easy & cool

Thanks for that reply JDTrader.

Just watched ITV regarding online identity theft and hacking into bank accounts, credit cards etc.

Obviously got me thinking about when I go live and the MT4/SLM trading account getting hacked into.
Anyone else worried about that?

I've just started trying out Smart Live. I went long Crude Oil this evening at 96.15. I put a limit sell order in at 97.02 and let the trade run.

Smart Live close their Crude contract from 23:00 - 01:00.

First problem was that when the market is closed you cannot change an order. This is not good.

But worse, the market opened at 97.20 and I was filled at 97.02.

This is daylight robbery.

I've just started trying out Smart Live. I went long Crude Oil this evening at 96.15. I put a limit sell order in at 97.02 and let the trade run.
First problem was that when the market is closed you cannot change an order. This is not good.

You will not get a price improvement from a market maker aka spreadbet company. As it is money out of their pockets they dont want to give you more.

Send them an email. The same thing happened to me a couple of month back and they corrected the trade.

So the last two mornings there has been a big discrepancy between SB charts and normal fx charts. I have 4 very clear shots to prove this and SLM told me it was an anomaly and very rare. Happened again this morning and I was told:

Hello
Ok well let me put it this way then. There is nothing wrong with our charts.
So the problem is your end.

Charming. Mr know it all; how do you explain the differences then? I'm connected to your servers and there has been no outages. I have refreshed numerous times, closed and reopened several times, even waited for a new day and still the same.

So the last two mornings there has been a big discrepancy between SB charts and normal fx charts. I have 4 very clear shots to prove this and SLM told me it was an anomaly and very rare. Happened again this morning and I was told:

Hello
Ok well let me put it this way then. There is nothing wrong with our charts.
So the problem is your end.

Charming. Mr know it all; how do you explain the differences then? I'm connected to your servers and there has been no outages. I have refreshed numerous times, closed and reopened several times, even waited for a new day and still the same.

I would say this is a b*** S*** attitude from a very tiny bookie (n)

These are all M1 charts on the FTSE. First two are yesterdays open price differentials. I was told the problem has been fixed. I still have open showing as 5883. I have refreshed the charts, closed and reopened, rescanned the servers, this is across two days also. I was told that my EA is stopping a refresh. :rolleyes: The fact i have multiple FTSE charts with nothing on bar some lines seems lost on him.

2 other pictures are todays open. Look at the candles in the highlighted boxes; clearly different yet I am told nothing is wrong with their charts.

Attachments

• ftse1min.png
    ftse1min.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 137
  • ftse 24Feb.JPG
    ftse 24Feb.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 167
  • ftse 25Feb.JPG
    ftse 25Feb.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 149
  • ftse.png
    ftse.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 120
Dubai - problem is that 1M charts are not suitable for spreadbetting. SB is for medium-longer term positions and therefore longer charts, certainly longer than 1M. This is the industry, it is what it is.

If you want to trade 1M, you have to realise, like I had to, that SB is not ideal for this (except with DMA type entry like with ProSpreads). I love SLM, but as a position player on longer charts. The 1M charts are bound to look different at mad times, especially on a manic opening of something like the FTSE. You're asking/expecting too much I think.

Shorter trades/charts are just not welcome in the world of SB, you need to go the route of ECN, DMA, futures, something like that.

I think we're all trying to turn an orange into an apple here. It is what it is.

Dubai - problem is that 1M charts are not suitable for spreadbetting. SB is for medium-longer term positions and therefore longer charts, certainly longer than 1M. This is the industry, it is what it is.

If you want to trade 1M, you have to realise, like I had to, that SB is not ideal for this (except with DMA type entry like with ProSpreads). I love SLM, but as a position player on longer charts. The 1M charts are bound to look different at mad times, especially on a manic opening of something like the FTSE. You're asking/expecting too much I think.

Shorter trades/charts are just not welcome in the world of SB, you need to go the route of ECN, DMA, futures, something like that.

I think we're all trying to turn an orange into an apple here. It is what it is.

Just like to add if you have a problem why post it here ?

Go straight to SLM, they have great customer service in my view