Smart Live Markets - Spread Bet on MT4

gle101 I have no slippage problems at all with their SG MT4 after 3 months live scalp trading - what latency times are you getting to their servers? Obviously there is not point trading with huge latency - try to get it down to a few MS and that will probably do the trick..

what market are you trading on.

EU slipped again through stops.

and can someone explain where and how a trade stopped at the SL generated additional loss? it shows no slippage but lost 0.07 of a pip somewhere in the ether?
:sneaky:

Peter - gle and I have been using other platforms with no problems like SLM currently have. what are you scalping? and what do you consider scalping? how far away is your stop loss? how many trades a day?

there are some very very wierd things happening with SLM and MT4 and its not our side.

The clock is dependant on the brokers server.

To see the Bid/ask got to properties and select "show ask line", the bid line is part of the grid. Select the desired colour and then untick show grid.

Thanks for the help Ted.
Guess I'll have to put up with the time difference then.

I did select "show ask line", "show grid" was unticked.
Now I see the bid price on the charts.

I tried all combinations of the above but am unable to get the mid price between bid/ask to show on the charts. It's either Bid or Ask.

and can someone explain where and how a trade stopped at the SL generated additional loss? it shows no slippage but lost 0.07 of a pip somewhere in the ether?

Peter - gle and I have been using other platforms with no problems like SLM currently have. what are you scalping? and what do you consider scalping? how far away is your stop loss? how many trades a day?

there are some very very wierd things happening with SLM and MT4 and its not our side.
I trade the indices, I have had some problems with slippage, especially the DAX. Hopefully SLM will get the technology working. I can't imagine they are doing it on purpose, if that is the case they might just as well call it quits. I have a lot of patience.:)

I've gone through all of my trades on my live account where most of the TP or SL levels exactly match what the actual pending order had set. There are about 3 positions where it is 2 to 3 pips difference out of about 30+ trades they were on GBPUSD and EURUSD. In the grand scheme of things it's only a small percentage of the trade size as i look for around 50 pips profit and much less than that for a stop. I guess if you trade smaller TP levels and larger stakes it would be a concern.

I thought slippage was quite common when trading forex? no?

Either way it works both ways, sometimes you could get that little bit extra on your TP and sometimes you lose a bit more from your SL. No biggie. :D

To be honest I'm pretty satisfied with the way Smartlivemarkets have got SB working on MT4 which work with the automated trading EAs. The odd trade with a difference from the preset levels of a couple of pips doesn't make much difference to me at all, it seems it is a big issue with some others though.

Lets face facts the ability to automate trading is the last thing on the minds of other SB companies, even if you suggest it they don't bother responding.

easy,

would you get in a taxi when its pissing it down with rain and get dropped off 500 yards from your home and be charged to 500 yards past your doorstep?

but the taxi was nice.
:rolleyes:

2 examples this morning.

1) slipped through stop for 1.1 pips

2) bet closed at the SL level but added another 1.1 pips in loss? explain........

steve hopwood is absolutely right in what he calls "brokers"

2 examples this morning.

1) slipped through stop for 1.1 pips

2) bet closed at the SL level but added another 1.1 pips in loss? explain........

steve hopwood is absolutely right in what he calls "brokers"

I wonder if most people, trading longer-term, would even notice a point or two 'slippage' here and there?

I wonder if most people, trading longer-term, would even notice a point or two 'slippage' here and there?

look up what steve hopwood on FF calls brokers.

oanda only has 44% profitable accounts and thats the top broker by profitable accounts.

am i painting the picture?

its easier to become a broker than to make money retail trading / spreadbetting.

Has it occurred to anyone that these issues may be nothing to do with technology or internet speed? The whole slippage issue can be easily manipulated in favour of the broker. This is especially true in MT4, which has a plugin purely for that purpose. Gain Capital aka forex.com were recently fined for manipulating spread (and also margin).

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-brokers/113082-gain-capital-aka-forex-com-fined-459k.html

Yes, the thought certainly has occurred! IMO all slippage on SB is effectively manipulation because clients have to deal on the prices given, so it's irrelevant whether the provider's hedge in the real market (if it exists) might have been slipped.

Has it occurred to anyone that these issues may be nothing to do with technology or internet speed? The whole slippage issue can be easily manipulated in favour of the broker. This is especially true in MT4, which has a plugin purely for that purpose. Gain Capital aka forex.com were recently fined for manipulating spread (and also margin).

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-brokers/113082-gain-capital-aka-forex-com-fined-459k.html

Similar if not worse slippage issues happen on the demo with SLM. EUR/USD is at 5 decimals on SLM yet on the demo i have been slipped by 4.5 full points on an entry order and again by a couple of points on the exit order.

I cant see how it would possibly be in SLMs best interest to do this to demo customers as none of them would then open a live account. I think SLM by offering MT4 for spreadbetting have become a victim of their own success. I dont think they had any idea how popular it would be and were totally unprepared from a technical point. This is why i will stick with them (for a while at least) in the hope they will soon get things back on track.

yep.

you get what you pay for on planet earth.

mata - you do not get this slippage on other SB vendors.

if you want to use SB's try some of the ones GLE101 mentions.. you dont have to use MT4...

right SLM person come out and tell us what the hell is going on with you and MT4.
It is not working.
lets not hear about slippage is normal in FX.
I and others DO NOT get slippage trading EU with any other company in NORMAL market conditions - by that non news and mad spikes.

i put a bet on live and on demo at the same time.

it was automatic so no guff please opened same time same price on the chart BUT...

1. the demo is adding 1 pip to the entry price in your favour.

?

furthermore...

2. There is slippage all day long on LIVE and DEMO - the slippage move in my favour doesn't wash because strangely enough it hasn't in all my trades.
3. i have an example where SL is 36356 and close is 36356 but its added 1.1 pip in your favour?

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?(n)

I can get some fantastically wierd things happening with you and am happy to put all the evidence up here.

That's the problem with trading a decentralised market, which spot forex is. Unlike Futures, which have regulated exchanges, and prices can be verified.

Steve Hopwood is bang on the money with his description of brokers and SBs. If you want to know his opinion, you need to visit the other site:)

Similar if not worse slippage issues happen on the demo with SLM. EUR/USD is at 5 decimals on SLM yet on the demo i have been slipped by 4.5 full points on an entry order and again by a couple of points on the exit order.

I cant see how it would possibly be in SLMs best interest to do this to demo customers as none of them would then open a live account. I think SLM by offering MT4 for spreadbetting have become a victim of their own success. I dont think they had any idea how popular it would be and were totally unprepared from a technical point. This is why i will stick with them (for a while at least) in the hope they will soon get things back on track.
Yes I think it is a good strategy not to give up on SLM. All SB have problems getting the technical part together. One just lay low trading SLM until the problems is taken care of. One can make an ocational trade to check them out on how they are doing. The micro lots stake give you a possibility to do that.

right SLM person come out and tell us what the hell is going on with you and MT4.
It is not working.
lets not hear about slippage is normal in FX.
I and others DO NOT get slippage trading EU with any other company in NORMAL market conditions - by that non news and mad spikes.

i put a bet on live and on demo at the same time.

it was automatic so no guff please opened same time same price on the chart BUT...

1. the demo is adding 1 pip to the entry price in your favour.

?

furthermore...

2. There is slippage all day long on LIVE and DEMO - the slippage move in my favour doesn't wash because strangely enough it hasn't in all my trades.
3. i have an example where SL is 36356 and close is 36356 but its added 1.1 pip in your favour?

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?(n)

I can get some fantastically wierd things happening with you and am happy to put all the evidence up here.
Good to ask for clarification from SLM. He just need to come onboard and say they have technical problem, shoudn't be a big deal for them doing this. Unless of course they have a different agenda, but I don't think so, because such a behavior would be crazy on their part.