• The plane will take off normally

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1) Brambles and Charts, you are stupid for thinking about dealing in poo, delta neutral or otherwise. The poo-crack spread is where you can clean up.

2) Brambles and Charts, surely you will admit that, given the problem we all assumed it was (semantics aside, a plane on a coveyor belt), the plane would take off - albeit nothing to do with what was originally posted

1) Brambles and Charts, you are stupid for thinking about dealing in poo, delta neutral or otherwise. The poo-crack spread is where you can clean up.

2) Brambles and Charts, surely you will admit that, given the problem we all assumed it was (semantics aside, a plane on a coveyor belt), the plane would take off - albeit nothing to do with what was originally posted

'nothing to do with what was originally posted', or 'slightly different from what was originally posted'...

Mate nobody that had a problem with the OP would feel the need to give the examples he has given. Period. I think he just enjoys bickering.

Have to say I am with you on this one... having understodd Brambles position, I can say it would be ALOT easier to convey it than talking about flags and treadmills... moreover, I am starting to think that Bramble is holding out for the "victory", rather than sensible discussions of BOTH of the problems.

1. I'm just waiting for killphil to trump us all..........

2. Of course, if the conditions are right it will take off - albeit nothing to do with what was originally posted. :LOL:

Richard

Have to say I am with you on this one... having understodd Brambles position, I can say it would be ALOT easier to convey it than talking about flags and treadmills... moreover, I am starting to think that Bramble is holding out for the "victory", rather than sensible discussions of BOTH of the problems.
Mr. G - what exactly are ther two problems?

lol, Mr Charts you really are riding the coat tails on this one.

The problem with the OP is NOTHING to do with your reasoning 'no airflow over the wings' - If someone asked the question 'what's the square root of 4, and you said '2, because 1 + 1 = 2, that wouldn't make you correct. Same with Brambles. Anyone with a brain who cares to read over your posts will see this.

Mr. G - what exactly are ther two problems?

See the latest installment of "MrG illustrates".

Skills problem on the left, Brambles problem on the right. Do not use the ambiguity in the OP to suggest that they are, infact, on and the same, or that the the OP is the Bramble question and we don;t have anything to do with the problem on the left.

The difference between the two problems, as I see it, is this:

Skill problem) Conveyor rolls anti-clockwise for a clockwise turn in the wheels

Bramble problem) Conveyor and Wheels both turn clockwise (anti-clockwise).

lol, Mr Charts you really are riding the coat tails on this one.

The problem with the OP is NOTHING to do with your reasoning 'no airflow over the wings' - If someone asked the question 'what's the square root of 4, and you said '2, because 1 + 1 = 2, that wouldn't make you correct. Same with Brambles. Anyone with a brain who cares to read over your posts will see this.

But its -2 and -1+1 = 0

No G-man, the Bramble problem is whatever Ezreddy says it is. Trust me, read over their arguments again and tell me whether you think they're the chat of people who know what they're talking about. They aint.

"The problem with the OP is NOTHING to do with your reasoning 'no airflow over the wings' "

I never said it was !

I'm coming to the conclusion, rather belatedly due to my generous nature, that there is no purpose whatsoever "debating" with someone who constantly tries to put words into other people's mouths, calls them fools and idiots, "anyone with a brain", rejects olive branches etc.

It might be entertaining, but it's clearly futile.

You need to chill, but there will be no more advice from me to do so, FWTW, and no further comments whatever you come out with next.

That's it.

The difference between the two problems, as I see it, is this:

Skill problem) Conveyor rolls anti-clockwise for a clockwise turn in the wheels

Bramble problem) Conveyor and Wheels both turn clockwise (anti-clockwise).
Whoa! That's not just semantics is it? I can see another 500 posts at least on this one...LOL

Let's get serious then and start being very specific in what we’re talking about.

Assume we are watching the 747 at the end of the conveyor belt. The end of the conveyor belt where the plane currently sits is to our extreme right as we stand perpendicular to the nose of the craft and off to the side of the conveyor. If it’s going to take off, it’s going to have to move from its starting point and head off to the left, along the conveyor belt. If it does that, the wheels of the plane will be rotating anti-clockwise from our perspective.

Case 1. Conveyor belt does not move and there is no constraint or special relationship between the wheels of the plane and the conveyor. The plane accelerates to 180mph airspeed, the wheels are rotating anti-clockwise from our perspective, the pilot raises the nose to get a bit of a draft going, and up it lifts. “Hooray!” the assembled (and by now very weary and dishevelled onlookers from t2w) cry.

This is pretty much what the 747s do all the time on normal runways.

The next two cases depart markedly from reality, in quite separate ways, so don’t get fooled.

Case 2.(Apparently named ‘Bramble Problem’) Same situation as Case 1 – the only difference being that the conveyor belt is now rigged to move TO THE RIGHT in precise and exact synchronisation with any indication of movement forward of the plane to the left. Clockwise/Anti-clockwise has no real application here, but if the conveyor could be considered to be the internal circumference of a really large wheel, a wheel so large it’s surface looked like a flat conveyor belt, then yes, it could be considered to be moving anti-clockwise too, but essentially, the conveyor is moving to our right, the plane would like to move to the left.
This is the scenario I’m solving for, the one I’ve always been solving for and the one, regardless of the number of variations Skills may have or may have wanted to give it, has been the one we’ve assumed to be the we’re all solving for subject to bit of fuzzy wording that we can presumably blame on his professors as it was their teaser – apparently, and if any previous version was ambiguous, the intent of Skills teaser was sufficient to warrant an assumption that what he eventually stated as the real teaser was the one we were all working on anyway.

Any forward motion of the plane at the exact moment it would have moved forward had it not had any other constraints operating, under a process not defined by Skills, but accepted by us as a given, has the conveyor moving backwards (to our left) to exactly the same extent.

The net result is there is no forward movement, therefore no airspeed, therefore no take off.

Round of applause and cheering from those who got it right, while the Flat-Earthers shuffle off mumbling and grumbling that that wasn’t what they meant anyway….

Case 3. ‘Skills Problem’. (LOL). You are suggesting is where the conveyor moves clockwise (to the left) as the planes wheels rotate anti-clockwise (plane moving to left). In this very new and very different scenario to any that have so far been offered and quite distinct from any Skills has ever suggested. He has always given that the conveyor is rigged to move OPPOSITE to the plane’s direction. It’s right there, still, in post #1.

Mr. G, I humbly suggest we’ve all be solving for the exact same scenario the whole time. Some got it right. Some didn’t.

It' becoming much clearer now

The 'problem' as set out by SL ...

"Imagine a 747 sitting on a very large conveyor belt. The belt has the same dimensions as a runway at an airport*, and is set up to exactly match the speed of the plane's wheels, moving in the opposite direction. What will happen?

*To save confusion, the conveyor belt is the same length as the distance required for a 747 to take off from a normal runway; the frictional co-efficient of runway tarmac and the belt are identical, all other variables such as wind and atmospheric conditions can be ignored."

... does not seem to be well defined.

It is not clear what "belt .. is set up to exactly match the speed of the plane's wheels, moving in the opposite direction" means. If there was a car on the belt, it would make sense to assume that the belt would move so that any motion of the car would be negated by the belt moving in opposite direction. The wheels would be seen to spin on the spot. With a plane this is more tricky. When the plane engines are switched on, to start with, the thrust is usually too small to overcome friction (belt same as tarmac as stated above), so no problem yet. Increase the thrust so the wheels start just to roll and we could get the same effect as with the car above so long as the thrust matched the rolling friction. When the thrust increases (if we assume that we are trying to take off :^) ) the plane will move forward thus the speed of the belt would be able to match the wheels' speed only if the wheels kept slipping with the slippage matching its ground speed. But the problem's description doesn't seem to allow for this interpretation.

So looking for further clues in subsequent posts, I noticed that Sl stipulated the wheels were supposed to be frictionless. But in the problem description there is "To save confusion,... the frictional co-efficient of runway tarmac and the belt are identical". If friction was to be ignored, this sentence would not be saving but sowing confusion. So we must assume it is just SL's interpretation.

Further on SL said to Bramble: "Stop focussing on the wheels, and what speed they match, it's irrelevant!"

This getting even more confusing, why did the problem then say "exactly match the speed of the plane's wheels"?

So to get on, let's assume that through some magic the belt can do the right speed matching. So the plane will now thunder above the moving belt and ... what? We know the belt is the right length for the plane but do we know where the plane was positioned? The problem doesn't say. If it was anywhere but the beginning of the belt, it will fall off at the end. So let's assume at the beginning. But maybe the belt is in a hangar. The problem doesn't say, so clearly where the belt is, must be irrelevant. So it must be irrelevant whether there is an obstruction or not. This can only be if the plane's taking off or not taking off doesn't come into it.

So I can only assume we should stop assuming and look what the problem really says - and it all becomes clear...

The plane is not moving (it is "sitting") and so is the belt, so their speed is matched perfectly. Eventually the belt will disintegrate, the plane will rust and fall apart, the universe will end.

Is that the solution?

Karel

Ki Karel - welcome to T2W. I see it's your first post here. Hopefully you'll stick around for a while. Hope your interest doesn't wane as soon as this thread calms down. ;)

GJ

never said hi to me wheni joined - must be coz i german :clap:

Probably taken Karel since joining in 2006 to read all the posts on the thread - ooops, no that would suggest another impossible situation.
So let's change things. I obviously meant if the conveyor belt was moving back in time and the plane had its engines in reverse thrust would that Oceanic flight have crashed onto the island in Lost?