Sierra Charts vs Medved Quote Tracker

That makes sense. It makes me wonder why people have been clamouring for IB backfill, unless, as you say, they're uninterested in volume data.

If the volume data (and it will be different from different exchanges) is like tick data it will be approximately proportional to the "real" underlying data. In that case you can develop a strategy that works perfectly well based on IB data ... but would have to modify it for someone elses version of the data.

Well, I only really pay attention to relative drop offs in volume during pullbacks, so I guess IB is alright for that. It's certainly seemed that way. For knowing whether a stock has enough volume traded on a general basis I look at EOD data.

If the volume data (and it will be different from different exchanges) is like tick data it will be approximately proportional to the "real" underlying data

In my experience I have found this not to be the case. As I have previously said it can vary wildly and not in proportion but if it works for you then fine as I have no axe to grind on this, I am just giving my own experience.

Paul

QuoteTrader

Also compare to Quotetrader which is FREE and works with Interactive Brokers real time feed and backfill. QT has a DOM display and charting.

GET it and check it out here: http://www.quote.com/quotetrader

Chuck

Attachments

• tn_img2.gif
    tn_img2.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 990
In my experience I have found this not to be the case. As I have previously said it can vary wildly and not in proportion but if it works for you then fine as I have no axe to grind on this, I am just giving my own experience.

Paul

I actually didn't use volume data back then. I did and still use tick data but I believe that most exchanges now report true volume data thru IB. The "bad" old days are gone :)

QuoteTrader Webinar

For those (re)evaluating their decision-support and trading platforms, QuoteTrader has a weekly webinar, Mondays after the close at 1:30pm pt, 4:30 et.
To attend at the scheduled time, please visit:
http://esignal.acrobat.com/r47733452/

This webinar will demonstrate QuoteTrader's trading, order management and FREE Charting using the data and trade services of Interactive Brokers.

QuoteTrader is designed around its DOM ("Depth of Market"), which displays aggregated size at price (vs L2, which displays each order), to provide faster, more efficient estimates of liquidity, and provides single-click order entry, and FREE Charts, quote windows and account window (balances, positions and trades).

QuoteTrader is FREE - and uses data provided by your broker, so there's no additional exchange fees - this makes it ideal for assessing how it can complement one's existing set of trading tools.

For more information, please attend one of our free webinars, send an email to [email protected], or visit our website at http://www.quote.com/quotetrader.

Thanks,

Brent
QuoteTrader Product Management
www.quote.com/quotetrader
[email protected]

For questions on QuoteTracker you can find additional support at QTusers Forum - Index but with the confusing similar names maybe the QT users forum should be used for your QuoteTrader as well eh Chuck and Brent, what ya think

The lack of more then 10 days intraday charting made QT useless to me.

Been using Sierra for over a year now and very happy with it. I'm also considering Ninja and Multicharts.

The lack of more then 10 days intraday charting made QT useless to me.

Been using Sierra for over a year now and very happy with it. I'm also considering Ninja and Multicharts.

i guess you dont trade stocks

and its now 20 days intra for some

There are lots of wonderful things one can do with more than a few miserable weeks of data.

Its about 5 years since I did any backtesting but there are plenty of times when I appreciated having a decent amount of historical data. I suspect that would be true of any trader who trades his or her own ideas rather than trying to copy someone else :)

yea many uses like hang on your wall

does it have uk stock data ?

what sort of data, tick data ?

Allways-valid Topic

IBCharts.com is the best free charting tool I ever seen!

I use IB, but their charting leaves me cold. Some of the earlier posts in this thread (which I hope isn't dead, as it is still very pertinent) wanted longer term data - which is easily availble in quotetracker through the historical charts.

However, I need something like a normal, data-fed Quotetracker chart that will use months of at-least daily data and technicals, and alternatively, do multi-symbol comparisons on a percentage change basis. The new Yahoo interactive charts are very good at this (comparisons ), but I would prefer it in QuoteTracker or ???

Keep this thread going.