Sierra Charts vs Medved Quote Tracker

You can on Sierrachart too TGM ... and for stochs etc. You just change the moving average type for the indicator.

It will be interesting to see if IBs much announced 1 days backdata will reduce the advantage of ensigns backfill over Sierrachart. At the moment I know a number of people who are using Ensign because you get the backfill ... in case you lose your data feed overnight ... but its $32 per month more expensive and most don't do anything you cant do in Sierrachart (without having to specify a different file for each tick and time choice you make).

Kiwi,

I agree. I have been pleasantly surprised at the low cost data feeds available for use with IB. I have been around now 10 years and I am amazed at what you can get for your money now. Sierra is dirt cheap and so is Ensign. Hell you can run them both for next to nothing. If you guys could only see what junk traders had to pay top dollar for in 1995.

I hear IB is going to work up to 10 days backfill eventually. They are doing this slowly. One day at a time I guess.

OH Kiwi,

I am not going to be programming anything. I am going to make my programmer do some stuff for me in Ensign and I am going to use the Tradingdaybyday dll indicators you did for Sierra. Ensign may seem expensive and is more expensive than Sierra. If you trade just a couple things it may be better with Sierra. Ensign tho comes with backfill on demand for unlimited number of symbols. To me that is worth the 40 bucks. Backfill with ScMagic is like 15 month and it does not come with as much data. So it just depends what you are looking for.

Kiwi,
Question: I remember you telling me that you trade the Hang Seng with IB. Do you use tick charts? If so what count? Ib does not release every tick. That is why it is free. But for my purposes it does not matter. Just curious on what time frames you use for scalping.

I have used anything from 10-40 ticks ... I dont scalp really ... I am a trend follower.

Kiwi,

What do you use for log in after Ib server down time? I need something to log me back in after the server downtime? Is there a program or something I am missing on IB? You would think the thing would log back in automatically?

You are not logged out by server downtime.

If you log out it is probably the Autologoff ... Menu/Configure/Misc/Autologoff time ... I set that to a time convenient to me.

Since there already was a thread discussing SC vs. QT I thought I should post this question here.

How does the myTrack feed compare with IQFeed and Prophet.net on the minis? I don't care which combination I go for, all I am looking for is the best feed of these three. These combinations are all within the same price range so it's the feed it all depends on.

I do find the SC charts nicer than the QT charts, but if myTracks feed blows, then QT it is.

Hope anyone can help me with this one.

-Skog

Hang Seng on Ensign?

Hi,
How do I get HSI to show up on Ensign?
I tried HSI J5-HKFE to no avail.

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

cclee,

I used to have the exact same problem.
Try "HSI N5-HKF".

Attachments

• Symbol Properties.gif
    Symbol Properties.gif
    33.1 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Hang seng has those wack ass contract months. Not the standard march, june, sept., december. I can never keep them straight. No wonder I was not getting data for M hang seng ---I had to move out to JULY!!

Good Lord TGM,

The HSI contract months are easy. It runs month by month so today the contract month is April (J). In May the month will be May ... etc etc.

Change rules are:
Last Trading Day = The Business Day immediately preceding the last Business Day of the Contract Month
Trading Hours on Last Trading Day 9:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Until the last day the volume is heavily in this month but on the morning of the last day it moves to the new month. On the last day I find that you can trade this month in the morning but in the afternoon it basically freezes. Beware that one month may be much stronger/weaker than the other on the last morning.

I've attached my Holiday Map for the year. Highlighted days are the non-weekend closures.

Attachments

• Hang Seng Holidays.GIF
    Hang Seng Holidays.GIF
    28 KB · Views: 595
Kiwi said:
Good Lord TGM,

The HSI contract months are easy. It runs month by month so today the contract month is April (J). In May the month will be May ... etc etc.

Change rules are:
Last Trading Day = The Business Day immediately preceding the last Business Day of the Contract Month
Trading Hours on Last Trading Day 9:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Until the last day the volume is heavily in this month but on the morning of the last day it moves to the new month. On the last day I find that you can trade this month in the morning but in the afternoon it basically freezes. Beware that one month may be much stronger/weaker than the other on the last morning.

I've attached my Holiday Map for the year. Highlighted days are the non-weekend closures.

Thanks Kiwi,

Someone already straightened me out. I like your calendar. I have not traded it enough to know it was month to month! I have traded stock indexes for 10 years and they all trade the same months---March, June, Sept, Dec. The HKFE website alluded to the fact the Hang Seng was quarterly. However, I did not read it much further than that. Thanks for the info.

Sierra/Medved

I'm familiar with SierraChart and Quotetracker which both have their plusses and minuses; but does anyone know anything about IBCharts

http://www.ibcharts.com/

which is free and looks on the surface to be okay but as with all software takes time (I'm short of it, just now) to get to know in depth (assuming there is any).

If it is using volume data from IB to update charts then I would doubt that it is accurate. I have always found volume data from IB to be up to a factor of 10 out. However, if you trade Forex or do not need to use volume then it may well be fine for your purposes.

Paul

Volume isn't crucial though I do chart it and I'd like it to be accurate. By 'up to a factor of 10' I suppose you mean in an arbitrary way? If it was 'evenly distorted' it would be okay.

I'll try IBCharts out next week and see how I feel about them.

When I say a factor of 10 what I mean is that IB is showing a volume on the day of maybe 50,000 and the actual is 500,000 but the problem is that it can be anything inbetween. In my view for trading of US stocks this is important as you would want to know that the stock you are trading has healthy volume and this cannot be determined by the sole use of IB as a data provider.

Paul

I take your point, Paul. IBCharts do say they're looking to provide other data suppliers (a la Quotetracker, presumably) so my main interest was in knowing how IBCharts was 'in use'. I find SierraCharts and Quotetracker somewhat awkward, in different ways.

I wonder why IB provide questionable volume data.

I wonder why IB provide questionable volume data

You have to consider that IB are primarily a brokerage and not a data provider. The volume that you see I think are the trades going through their own brokerage (I could be wrong here) so it will not be accurate.

Paul

So does that mean TWS Time and Sales is completely worthless, being a fraction of the total?

For trading of US stocks, when I previously compared T&S from IB to T&S from an official data provider you get a lot more action from the second.

Paul