Set up for trading at home

my last post was not directed to anyone in particular, so i find it interesting that you New Trader were compelled to be the first to respond...........hmmm and again when did i say that i want 4 monitors for trading, i have never even mentioned the word trading you guys really seem to have an huge ego trip goin on here

I have to agree with Brad.
Ego trip is the word for sure.
Bradcjc, the so called '"newbie" comes on here to make a straight-forward, logical question about how to set up 4 monitors, and gets stupid replies trying to tell him he doesn't need 4 monitors.
What a thread is supposed to do is bring up a topic and people can bounce ideas off each other and come up with solutions,which has happened in this thread and has been helpful.............. except for you di ck he ad- regulars that get on here thinking that you are Ghandi himself trying to tell us all high and mighty trading wisdom, which no one gives a rip about.
Just because a person has only been on the forum for a couple of weeks doesn't mean he's any less successful at trading than you.
Thanks to everyone on this thread as it has helped me with my set up at home, and to the Ghandi's,........ get over yourself

this crap about not needing more monitors is aload of rubbish. it is esential even for the beginer as it lets you see the entire market over different time frames so you can see the coalition between them as apposed to flicking about different windows on one screen. and screens cost like 200quid max for a decent 22" lcd. some people need to wind there necks in a bit..

Dual Ceiling Mounts - Imount.co.uk

I use these, they are a little flimsy if you clamp them onto a desk (and take alot of space) so I drilled mine into the wall and lined my desk up about 6 inches away - works great.

You will need to get extenders for monitors > 17" (I needed to with my 19")... I didn't have them 'cos the speca says 19"should fit - they didn't, I emailed the guy, he sent me some free.

As I said, not the best but deffo the cheapest.

exactly guys.

Having more monitors won't make you anymore money, it just makes it a hec of a lot easier.

Dual Ceiling Mounts - Imount.co.uk

I use these, they are a little flimsy if you clamp them onto a desk (and take alot of space) so I drilled mine into the wall and lined my desk up about 6 inches away - works great.

You will need to get extenders for monitors > 17" (I needed to with my 19")... I didn't have them 'cos the speca says 19"should fit - they didn't, I emailed the guy, he sent me some free.

As I said, not the best but deffo the cheapest.

thanks Mr Gecko, very helpful

Guide to Setting up a Multiple Monitor Trading Computer

Here is a great article section I found at Multi-Screens.com (A beginners introduction to Multiple Monitors)

The Three main ways to Setup Multiple Monitors

1) You can buy a pre-manufactured multiple monitor computer. The best place to purchase a multiple monitor computer is at: Multi-Monitors.com.
They carry a multi-monitor computer line called SUPER-PC that can support from 2 to 12 monitors.

Multi-Screen Computer Systems

Multiple Monitor LCD Displays

2) You can get a USB to VGA Adapter, or USB to DVI Adapter that will allow you to add an extra monitor to your computer
via any USB2.0 Port. You can also add multiple extra monitors by using multiple adapters. This is a great option for viewing
documents, surfing the web, using Microsoft Office and many other business tasks. This is not a good option for intense
graphical situations such as HDTV, Blu-ray, Gaming and 3D / CAD Workstation applications. For those types of scenarios,
it is highly recommended that you purchase a high-powered multi-monitor workstation or a Matrox Dual or Triple Head2Go.

Multiple Monitor Adapters

3) You can replace or add an extra video card to your existing computer, depending on how many monitors you wish to support.
Although this sounds easy enough, this is a rather complex solution for a beginner, especially when trying to find a compatible
graphics card. For this reason, I am going to write an entirely seperate post on that topic and will link to it here, very soon.

Multi-Monitor Graphics Cards

Once you have your multiple monitor system set up and ready to use, you will need to enable all of your monitors in
your “Display Properties” Control Panel. Here is a great link to a complete and animated walkthrough of how to enable
your multiple monitors in Windows.

How to Setup Multiple Monitors (Instructions)

This is what it will look like when you are done:

Multi-Monitor Video Demo 1

I'm new to trading, but I know a bit (just a bit) about computer hardware. From what I've gathered so far, trading software really doesn't need that much power. Of course running four monitors is hungry in all hardware sense, however depending on your setup you could get similar results at a fraction of the cost. My advice would be to buy two desktops (a couple of years old - most semi decent PCs will comfortably run two monitors) and link each of them up to 2 monitors. Like I said it does depend on you setup, is your charting, and execution software separate? If not, can you log onto two terminals simultaneously?

If you can, that leaves one PC free for account managing and trade transaction and other for charting. The beauty of this is, even if one PC crashes or does something stupid as PCs tend to do, you can quickly shift over temporarily. Not only that you'll probably find you can pick up two older PCs very cheaply.

I'm using an Apple laptop (about 3-4 yrs old - Intel processor), an extra monitor and I do not suffer at all from any slow down or anything of that nature. I use Java based charting tools, and execute on an online client so I don't really need Windows. I'm reluctant to trade in and go the PC route for a number of reasons.

Firstly, with my Mac I simply plug in a cable, and whether it be my HDTV or monitor, the Mac almost instantly configures the desktop and there's no need for any fiddly settings. Also when your trading the last thing you want is adware, spyware, and especially viruses / worms, when your dealing with such sensitive information. For whatever reason Mac OS X is almost immune to contracting these 'things'. Meaning you do not have to worry about your station crashing right when you need it.

Having said that, Macs do come at a slight premium (although when you break it down its well worth it), and that makes it hard to ignore the flash numbers of PCs 20 million ghz compared to a similarly priced Mac which is only 2 ghz (I know there should be a capital somewhere). And a lot of trading software does not work with Mac's which can be a nightmare.

Like I said, these suggestions are not suitable for everyone, but I'm just throwing it out as another option.

::From what I've gathered so far, trading software really doesn't need that much power.

Yeah, the only sensible statement, sadly.

::Of course running four monitors is hungry in all hardware sense

Ah - no. Not for some years. Say thank you to all the gamers ;)

Get two LOW END ATI cards of the current 5xxx generation - you can run 6 screens.
Get two low end cards of the last generation, you can run 4.

Most non-stupid normal motherboard supports 2 cards (cross-fire or the nvidia equivalent) these days. Just plug in two cards. Run 6 monitors with current ATI cards. Gets a little more tricky with micro-atx boards - the small ones you dont even have at the macs, as those normally only have one slot for graphics cards. But then, soonish, ATI will publish one card with 2gb ram.... and 6 (!) monitor outlets. I really wait for that one.

ATI current generation REALLY REALLY REALLY suggested - uses lowest amount of power unless you run 3d games ;) Older generations + Nvidia use a lot more. We talk of 25 watts per card (with 2 mionitors) vs. 80-100, so it makes a financial difference when running extended amounts of times.

::For whatever reason Mac OS X is almost immune to contracting these 'things'.

By no means. Mac OS X is a lot more suspectible than windows to those - modern windows runs anti malware software as part of the normal setup, while Mac OS X does not. And most OS X users dont have anti virus.

The reason you dont get infections on Mac OS X is that it makes no sense to write them. See, for the same time you can target Windows stupid users - which is about 18 times the market share ;)

But deducting from "noone is interested to write malware for the mac yet" that the mac is secure per se is - not exactly smart.

::Firstly, with my Mac I simply plug in a cable, and whether it be my HDTV or monitor, the Mac
::almost instantly configures the desktop and there's no need for any fiddly settings.

Ah. You mean like in - WINDOWS?

The only thing one needs to set up with even decent current monitors (i.e. non "VGA not supporting resultion feedback" - like all did in the last 10 or so years) is - when using multiple monitors - the physical layout, so that the mouse moves nicely out of one into the next.

Now, you say you dont have to set things up on mac like on windows. How does the Mac magically know - when I have three monitors hooked up, how they are organized and in which order? Because this is the ONLY thing you need to set up with windows these days. You know, Windows 95 times are over ;)

::Meaning you do not have to worry about your station crashing right when you need it.

How does Mac OS does that? I mean, seriously.

I had no Windows crash in years that does not go back to some other influence (like serious power fluctutations - crashing some servers and the hardware router on top). Or today - I would really love how Mac OX would handle that. I was installing a new computer for me (for my second appartement) when it stopped responding. Upon restart, the hard disc was not available - damn thing just stopped working ;)

Besides that - sorry, no crash in years.

Plus, given that workstations are unlreliable to start with - you should have a backup unit anyway. Sorry ;) Discs, power supplies - all can die, also on a mac. Get a backup.

::Having said that, Macs do come at a slight premium (although when you break it down its well
::worth it)

Ah, no. Sorry, It comes with a premium it is not worth these days. Heck, I dont even find a decent hardware arranged mac anymore- they had a great idea with the mac mini, but since then they just gave up. No sensible setups - no servers, no workstations worth buying.

When I compare that with my "premium" home-build pc's (which any shop can put together) - sits on the desk, micro atx, 16gb ram, quad core - small, silent, partially large storage (show me a small mac with 8 hard disc slots, please -I have such a small home server here, same case, same motherboard, just added a raid controller and an 8 port SAS cage into the 2 5" slots for drives).

Going to servers, same thing. My main server is a supermicro rack based system - nice, 2 units high. 2x quad core, 64gb ram. Here is the catch now - 24 hard discs ;) Lots of power and space - and not existing in the mac workd.

In general:

::If you can, that leaves one PC free for account managing and trade transaction and other for
::charting. The beauty of this is, even if one PC crashes or does something stupid as PCs tend to do,
::you can quickly shift over temporarily.

Could be better - the result of not thinking things through ;)

If you go two machines, get the second one being a LAPTOP, and get a wireless internet connection on top of whatever you use - UMTS / 3G based.

Reason? Not only windows crashes. We get power outages on top, internet provider failures. If you go second machine, make sure you can operate without power and your normal internet connection for extended time (more than the 10 or so minutes a USV gives you).... which means Laptop. And you want to be safe you can still exit positions if your stupid provider decides.... to stop working for the day ;)

NetTecture, I seem to have offended you. I was just throwing in where I'm at at the moment, there's no need to bring out the handbags. you seem to want to rip apart every part, I was giving an opinion not holding a gun to his head and telling him to follow my advice.

Nor was I discussing the OS X vs Windows, I was merely stating what I've found. I purposely stated 'For whatever reason Mac OS X is almost immune to contracting these 'things'', so it would not become a battle about Windows vs Mac. Yet you jump down my throat like Bill Gates is your father. Yes, the most likely reason is because people can't be bothered attacking a much smaller market, but the fact still remains. I'm not sure I should even bother stating that it could possibly be to do with UNIX's OS X backbone, but I have done anyway.

With regard to multiple monitors, it was helpful knowing that multiple monitors don't actually need powerful graphics cards, but in my experience (3 years 3D computer graphics using multiple monitors), what tends to happen is the user ends up filling the space with more 'stuff'. Like I would open way many more browser windows just because I could, and of course you sound too perfect to be lazy person like myself, but many people are like me.

Lastly, my point was not to make a full proof system, but chip in with my opinion on what seems to be a newbie like myself trying to create a basic tradestation. So when I mentioned two computers, allowing 1 to be double used if one is unusable it was just a side perk. You actually agreed with my point (in having fall backs), but couldn't help your arrogance and had to take the idea further. I could now sit here and go on about rather than having a secondary LAPTOP (I see why the caps are so necessary), you should get a military spec laptop just in case you spill a drink over your laptop and your power has failed. It's obviously a stupid suggestion as its about balancing resources, and I don't think spending extra money on a laptop and 3g connection for something that is most likely not going to happen is anyway efficient of effective, especially for someone who's just getting into trading.

I always thought boards were for discussions and gaining knowledge, but clearly you know everything and feel its perfectly ok to talk to people in condescending manner. Just because this is the net it does not mean you should leave your manners at the door.