Set up for trading at home

thanks for all the constructive comments, they should help heaps, by the way would anyone have any links to sites for monitor stands etc. thanks

Thanks for the link everyonerich, and thanks for your coments shadowninja, but i was after some information on setting up a multi monitor system on my computer, not a lecture on the negative side of trading

Sorry, just trying to save you money, that's all. That said, it wasn't a negative reply at all. Good luck with the set up.

alls good shadowninja, shouldnt have got my back up but it just seems at times there is a lot of negative comments on some of these threads, but im confident yours was to help, thanks

I know what you mean. I suppose that stems from seeing a lot of newbies coming on and you know they're gonna go down the same route as you and lose just as much money if not more. Or get suckered in by one of the many lurking scam artists.

Hi everyone,
i know this question has been asked before and tried to search the answer on forum but couldn't really get a clear idea.

I am about to buy a new quad core PC for my trading, and don't have alot, if any experience with graphics cards, extra monitors etc.
I would like to have a 4 montior set up. I understand so far i need to install graphics card for this. My question is what type would be suitable, and how the hec to I do it all as I am close to computer illiterate.
When setting up the 4 monitors, where do they plug in to and do i need any extra bits and pieces to get all of this working?
Also would i need a video card?? Not sure if I read right when i saw that.

Thans guys in advance, Brad

4 monitors :-0

What will you use the other 3 for? Playing games?
:LOL:

actually i was wanting the 4 of them to play games...........what else did you think id use them for?

i know one fund manager are trading over 5million dollar account & he only use one 17inch LCD monitor.. :confused:

i agree with all the posts, you dont need a monster setup, dont waste your time, you dont even need a quad core system, software isnt even ready for quad core unless designed with it in mind. you will end up buying a monster machine only to really be using a small part of it because of software limitations..

who gives an absolute riiiiiiippppppp if he should have 4 montiors or not, thats not the point, all he asked is how to set it up.
Come on to ss ers, read the question

I run 3 monitors, 1 on the regular graphics thing (the one that came in the comp.) and bought a Matrox 450 (???) for about 20 quid on eBay - as dcraig says, you do not need top of the range fancy 3D gaming engine sorta things - at all, whatsoever.
On a side issue, something VERY important is that you have a telephone, the number of your broker (ideally more than one - dealing desk, sales, tech support, whatever), your account details, passwords, copies of any forma you have to fill in, SWIFT codes - EVERYTHING - on a piece of paper stuck up on the wall.
The internet WILL go down, you WILL get a power failure, and so on. It is BUSINESS CRITICAL that you have a contingency for this, to call your broker and give him your orders.
(also, make sure your mobile provider will let you call international numbers if you have to, premium rate numbers, etc...)

Computers will fail you too ... right when you don't want them too.
I run two computers, two screens off each. Or a desk top with two screens and then If you have a laptop you can easily run an extra screen off it. It is then pretty simple to set up and even someone like me managed it.

Yep. I have 2 minotaurs running off one PC and one minotaur running off another spare PC... no bull. (See what I did there... minotaur... bull...)

I do only trade GBP/USD and EUR/USD, using the second monitor for dozens of forums plus a couple of online strategy games. Well, what else is there to do when you're waiting for a setup?

I think 8 monitors would be better. You will make twice as much as you would with only 4!(y)

I appreciate all the people that are trying to help with my question, But what i am finding hard to believe is how such a simple question can generate so many imature and childish responses, I really do wonder what your lives must be like to sit in front of a computer all day just to type this sort of crap in response to a legitamate question

I appreciate all the people that are trying to help with my question, But what i am finding hard to believe is how such a simple question can generate so many imature and childish responses, I really do wonder what your lives must be like to sit in front of a computer all day just to type this sort of crap in response to a legitamate question

Bradcjc, the problem is that you, like many others, come into this forum and demand to be told what you want to know and completely ignore what people, experienced people that is, tell you that you need to know. Go ahead and waste money on 4 monitors for trading, you seem convinced it's what you need, but what is more important than that, it is what you want and nothing can stand in the way of that.