Sentimental Options

Gold down 20. Finally fell into that air pocket. Took long enough.
Real downdraft in equities too. Put in a real low bid of .10 to close out the sold call side of the iron condor, just in case. I'll be astonished if it gets filled though. So far all that's happened is we're right back at the old equilibrium point of 67.50.

A weak turn north in options volume almost purely - the number of calls and the ratio of calls to puts are both anemic - finally pushed the gold sentiment index to a positive signal today, so I'll have to position myself for this come Monday morning.
While a fade of the options signals almost indicates a turn in IWM, fading the exchanges shows the usual bearishness. NDAQ and CME actually rose today, while the NYX only fell a teeny bit. No one, it seems from this stock action, really believes today was the start of a significant decline.
VIX options action, meantime, was wildly bullish on the VIX: Calls outnumbered puts today by a 7:1 ratio. So the VIX options players seemed to beg to differ. But the shoot higher was so violent that it actually prevented a bullish turn in the aforementioned options sentiment signal. Maybe if we calm down a bit on Monday that one can get around to being bullish.
Of course, I'm trading on signals from the exchanges, so those guys have to crack enough to generate a buy signal, as we're fading them. Right now of course trend-following the exchanges rather than trying to fade them looks like the better strategy, but over time and lots of trades fading them works better, according to the backtest. We'll try it for the next year, which from the evidence so far looks like it will put a year of sideways to up action into the data. 2007 was sideways to down with increasing volatility, 2008 was way down with wild volatility, and 2009 was way up with rapidly decreasing volatility. So if this year produces a sideways to up year with only a gentle change in volatility, which is more or less what passes for normal in financial life, we'll have one each of just about every scenario in the data.

Nice move on GDX today, down in the morning, then up, now sideways. Mildly positive day there as a result, as I positioned myself for an upmove in the morning, at just about the right time.
The usual on IWM and NYX, of course. IWM is right around 68, which is the midpoint of my latest mini iron condor, which is nice. I've been scanning the options on RUT, looking for how to play them, and really, given the crazy difference in values between the calls and the puts, I'm not even sure selling calls makes any sense, even at an order of magnitude higher. You'd have to get too close to the actual value of the index to make it really worthwhile, which introduces too much risk for my taste.
Something to think about. As I have no deadlines for this, I can think as long as I like...

No change in any signals.
I just entertained myself by wandering around looking at the market commentary from folks in the US who slant towards the political, and of course they're all itching to say that the health care bill, which just passed, is causing the latest downturn.
Except that the market's been straight up lately, and was up today, much to my frustration, but that's just because I'm on the wrong side because of my systems. Some of these fools are on the wrong side because they really truly think a single bill passage equates to the end of the American Republic, or something.
Sometimes, on the day after options expiry, you'll get a day opposite in trend to the expiration day. Thus, Friday was down, today was up. Last time this happened was back in Jan, and after the up Monday, it was straight down for the next two weeks or so.
Which wouldn't be surprising this time, given how relentlessly we've gone up. But the political folks will jump on a downturn this time around like wolves on fresh meat. Of course, they'll stay on it long after the meat has turned rancid.
These are the folks who bought the downturn this morning, and then got their stops run. This is an off-systems thought, as it were, but I'd think that any downturn that develops in the near future will probably be jumped on as noted above, and so will be very sharp, but also very short. I won't do a trade my systems don't signal, so I can only hope they'll be nimble enough to allow me to profit from their tendencies, which is what I'm pretty sure happened this morning when gold initially turned down and then went back up, like everything else, allowing me a decent entry into a long bias (well-hedged, though. I'm still suspicious of gold, but less so than I have been).

No changes in the signals from the various systems.
Call side of the iron condor on IWM is getting somewhat pressured, but nothing to get worried about yet. Depending on how things go tomorrow & Thursday, I may have to do something to protect myself from a meltup in reaction to Friday's employment numbers.
I had noted before reading up elsewhere in this forum on how DMI could be used, the idea promoted in the thread being that if the line measuring the strength of the trend was in the middle, then the line at the top would be what you would trade off of, the other two lines being buy/sell lines. Middle of the day today I'm looking at IWM, and I think, hmm, and add the DMI to my chart, and edit it to make it measure 6 periods, my default (on 30 minute bars. I've explained the logic earlier in this thread and elsewhere on this forum). It shows a buy yesterday, but even more interesting, increasing buying pressure. I thinks to myself, looking at the high, and drawing a line from it, that that high is going to get busted.
Sure enough.
This is, I'm still sure, entirely politics-driven: shorts were doubtlessly put on at EOD yesterday and in the morning today based on the apocalyptic views of the crowd who think the mild healthcare reforms passed here in the US signal the end of liberty and the republic, and the stops on these shorts needed to be taken out.
Don't ask me how long it'll take before exhaustion or bankruptcy overtakes these rubes. If I knew that, I'd be a lot richer than I am.

Pressure is off on the call side of the condor, for now. IWM is back to close to 68 as of now.
On GDX, 41/39 put spreads left over from way back limited my losses today. So, lost, but not nearly as badly as I would have without these. Cashed them in today as they did their job. I'm content to let the rest of the call trade decay if the decline in gold continues, as the potential max loss is considerably less now than it would have been otherwise.
Will see what the signals say tonight, as usual...

No change in the signals. Most astounding thing on the day was the action of the exchange stocks: all of them except NYX went up, the CME by 2%. I haven't checked the news to see what in particular caused the CME to rise by so much, and I have no quarrel with the move; I think the CME is an outstanding long-term investment. But that doesn't tell you why it would jump 2% in a single day.
Anyway, not the action you'd see at the bottom of a downmove. Pointing down on IWM and NYX, up on GDX.
I'm thinking - another thing to investigate - that I could merge the exchange info with the options info for a Grand Unified Theory (GUT) of the market. I do go with my gut from time to time, after all...

Not much to say about today. Tomorrow's the real action.
Iron condor P&L so far is interesting, and as follows:

2 63 APR puts bought: -4
2 64 APR puts sold: +8
2 72 APR calls sold: +18
2 73 APR calls bought: -3

Nets to 19 simoleons on the plus side, minus 5 net of commish though. Had I done this on similarly priced RUT options, you would have been able to add a zero to each number there, netting to 190 up, 190 - 24 net: 166. So far, this is looking like a decent strategy.
So far, this is the way I've been determining where to sell the options:

Cell B2 = no. days left to expire, 22 today.
Cell B3 = vol level, 23.81 on RVX today.
Cell B4 = IWM price, 67.84
Cell B5 = (B3/100)/((365/B2)^0.5), annual volatility brought down to the 22 days left, comes to .0585 as of today.
Cell B6 = =B4*(1+B5), comes to 71.81
Cell B7 = =B4*(1-B5), comes to 63.88

B6 rounds to 72, so that's the call strike to sell. B7 rounds to 64, so that's the put strike to sell. And that's it. Theoretically, each of these has a two-thirds chance of going off at zero at expiration.
If using the VIX, you'd probably want to look at actual, realized volatility, as VIX is probably lower than that. RVX has so far been running higher, which gives you a margin of error at least.
Will get into the multiple event probability a little later, given the above parameters.

NYX switches to a buy, based on the exchanges index being a sideways crawl for the past few days, but coming in slightly lower today just because this stock, which is of course overweighted in the version I use for trading it, managed a whole two days in a row down. Not down much, but something, at least.
I'm debating doing the stock itself, with options for hedging. You could do this, but not in the standard way of one call sold per 100 stock held. I'd probably also buy longer-dated puts, in effect collaring it.
I'll have to sleep on it.

A little more on vol: RVX is equal pretty much to the speed of the downside right now. Upside is a lot slower - for expiry on the APR calls, I could sell a 70 if upside vol remains as it has been for the past few years. More details later, as I intend to go into this in more detail, of course. Either way, I bought back one 72, sold a 71, which rebalanced my deltas somewhat on the iron condor.

Skew(ered)

GLD options volume again crapped out, and call volume remained anemic all week, so we'll be back to a sell bias on Monday.

On to volatility and the skew of options prices.
The vol skew sounds scary, but it's just a product of the behavior of what you're trading. Basically, if down is faster than up by a lot, you'll have a strongly negative skew. Take IWM, where since 2007 vol looks like this:

STDev of vol when down over a period of 15 trading days: .0614, corresponding to an annualized vol of 25.6%
STDev of vol when up over a period of 15 trading days: .042, corresponding to an annualized vol of 17.52%
Skew can be seen by a quick glance at the options chain: implied vols run from 25.63% on 64 puts to 17.02% on 71s, from April (notice how close these are to the figures above).

Meantime, over at GDX, the figures look like this:

STDev of vol when down over a period of 15 trading days: .0886, corresponding to an annualized vol of 36.92%
STDev of vol when up over a period of 15 trading days: .0859, corresponding to an annualized vol of 35.81%
Skew on this is nearly flat, as you would expect from the above: implied vols run from 37.87% on 40 puts to 32.83% on 47s, from April.

As can be seen from the above, higher means decreasing vol, which is why there's a positive correlation between VIX/RVX and rising prices. This relationship is far weaker for GVX and gold prices. Indeed, GLD skew is a slight "double" skew, that is, declining as you get higher and nearer to the money, then rising as you get higher and farther out of the money.
I had thought that after last year's rise, we'd go back to choppy, but that's not what's happening. Sideways conditions or conditions friendly to iron condors are of course far more likely to happen in a gently rising market like we have now than in the far more choppy conditions we had during the crisis.
But that also means playing the iron condor can allow for using strikes nearer to the money for the call side on IWM. (I would never play an iron condor on GDX, by the way. Gap opens are way too common.)
Looking at the above vol figures, the 71 I sold on Friday is right in line with what you could sell given the vol on the positive side for IWM. The 64s are still the correct one given the current price and the above vol for the negative side, if doing Aprils.
That should mean being able to make somewhat more money when doing this on the RUT itself.
But there's a sting in the tail of the negative side, which you can see by doing a frequency distribution. The maximum move is pretty much equal for up or down in recent times for IWM: 30.4% on the plus side, 33.2% on the negative side, over this time period. But moves greater than 22%, which is as far out as I took the distribution for both sides, tell you where the extreme moves are most likely: 16 instances on the negative side, only 5 on the positive side. Looking more closely, on the positive side frequencies are very stable and only really begin to decline once it's greater than the median on the plus side, while on the minus side they start falling away immediately. Plus side looks like one half of a normal distribution, minus looks more like a Pareto, with the 80% point coming at around 8%. Plugging that in gives you an annualized vol of 33.35%, which would call for a low strike of 62. So, that would probably be how I'd do the put side of a condor on the RUT, to be safe, which of course would lower the profit potential of that side correspondingly. On both IWM and RUT the 62/71 620/710 put/calls are about the same price, so obviously someone besides me has noticed these things. Wotta surprise.

Probability of multiple events

There's another good reason to go with a 20% probability move on at least one side of an iron condor, and that has to do with probability.
Assuming financial math to be correct, that there would be, given the vol readings above, a two-thirds chance for each side to go off at zero, what is the chance that both will?
This is a different question, and involves doing multiple probability math, which is fortunately pretty simple.
Each side has a 33% chance of expiring at something above zero. .33 times itself gets you the probability that both events occur, and that comes in at around 11%.
I know, it's logically impossible for both to expire, but stick with me. We need that figure for the next calculation, which is relevant, i.e., what are the chances that one or the other will occur?
That is .33 + .33 - .11, or .55.
Slightly disturbing.
But, put a .20 in there, and things brighten up:

1 - .33 * .20 = .07
2 - .33 + .20 -.07 = .46

The odds are now slightly in our favor. Whew!

NYX switched to a sell as a result of Friday's action, I should have noted somewhere. Not actively trading this at the moment; thinking about how to do it. Implementation is going to be tough on this one, it looks like.

This is getting stupid. IWM went back above 68 today, continuing its meander around the 68 point that's the midpoint of my condor. Not that I mind, but I know I'm being wound up for when I get serious and put real money on this thing.
Like I never met Mr. Market before. He must think I'm naive, or something...

DMI is looking like a useful exit indicator, anyway. I used it partially today, to exit my call verticals on GDX. Did a pretty good job of getting me out at levels that were pretty decent for the day. Definitely interesting.

Nice day on GDX, but really, gold has been surprisingly quiet this year. Can we get a quick drop to 1050 please, just to remind us what market this is? That kind of drop should be worth about 10% on GDX, which would be nice...

Usual stuff on IWM. Maybe I'll buy back the sold stuff tomorrow or Thursday. Not a good weekend to go into being negative gamma, even trivially.

The quarter's over. Yay!
For me, this quarter proved, again, what I already knew from before: start something new, and the market will do precisely the thing that will frustrate the new thing you're attempting, in this case grinding out slooowwwwly against me.
At least my gold trades were mildly profitable, but the last three days were typical of the quarter: one day of setup, which usually wound up on the plus side, one day that goes in my direction, and then one day of giveback.
One and three quarter steps forward, one and a quarter steps back. Ah well, half a loaf is better than no loaf at all.

Awful day today.
So, I decided to do my first condor on the actual Rus2k. Having scanned the prices from before, I knew I was going to get reintroduced to the reason I only do options on ETFs: the spreads. Spreads that will eat you alive if you're not careful.
I didn't attempt to leg in, but just ordered up one sell of a call vertical and one of a put vertical, and averted my eyes. When I opened them again, I saw that I had a starting position of -20.
Which is how I ended the day.
It's a 740/50 and 620/10 on May, making the midpoint 680, right around where the Rus2k ended the day. The strategy will be to buy back the insides as they get close to worthless, leaving me with only the bought wings, and then roll on to June. In case the price goes crazy in either direction next month, the leftover bought put/call from this condor this month will keep me from completely losing my shirt.
That's the theory. We'll see how it works out in practice. More later, on odds and all that.

Had no chance over the Easter weekend to do much in relation to anything, really, and spent today staring at my newly minted condor and watching as it ended the day - drum roll please - flat. So I ended where I began, down 15.50 without commish (not 20, as I had said in the last post; the options moved around a bit after the close, and I hadn't noticed) and 27 or so with commish included.
Which, considering the sharp move up today, was a pretty good outcome indeed. But I deliberately went in prior to a 3 day weekend because of the chance to take advantage of 4 days worth of theta by the market close. Which worked quite well, despite the steep reaction to the employment numbers reported last Friday.
I'll report my logic and all the probabilities along the way. I almost feel obliged, having done a quick scan of the stuff available online about condors, and having been thoroughly horrified at it; what isn't useless is way worse - than useless, that is.

FWIW, which this year hasn't been much, gold sentiment as measured by the options turned nicely positive with today's action. Goodly number of calls vs puts, and volume was decent. Volume has been gradually rising since around the middle of March, although the week after options expiration was a notable exception. Today's figures were backed up by a decent rise since that week.
Maybe we're building up to a challenge of the old highs? Of course, gold is down a bit so far overnight.

Flat performance on GDX today.
Funny day on the main indexes. You could just see them squeezing the shorts ever so slooowwwly; on my mini-condor, I had a stop in at 70. It got hit in the first half of the day, and of course the Russell sold off a bit after that. It then returned to the scene of the crime, and squeezed out the more clever folks, who might have had their stops set just over 700 on the index.
Like that works. Only naive people think stuff like that will protect you.
So, tomorrow will either be a big up day, or a down day. What it won't be is a mildly up day like today.