Sentimental Options

So, I post the above, gold and GDX go vertical: straight up. As of now, GDX is unchanged. (Running of the stops down Broadway? Sure looks like it...)
Talk about jinxing yourself. Sheesh.

Looks like I'll have to start seriously looking at iron condors. I've avoided them until now because I don't like negative gamma at all. Gives me the willies. But vol is just driving relentlessly lower.
I constructed a little VIX/general vol index toy for this purpose earlier this year. I'll have to start upgrading that into a real tool. Maybe do it on IWM, which might be safe to do.

Gold turned around again today, which is nice. IWM is still marching higher, and NYX isn't down enough to save the trade, which is totally busted as of now. So, plus on gold, and a writeoff of the IWM and NYX trades, for now, pending possible (we live in hope) cratering...

Kitco has an interestingly titled piece, which agrees with my feeling that the dollar has bottomed and it will be tough sledding for gold in the medium term. As of now, today's action puts us a bit closer to a turn in sentiment on gold, such sentiment having, by my measure, cratered over the past week. With tonight's options data, which finally shows an upturn in volume, at least, it looks like a bullish turn is much closer today than it was yesterday. But for the reasons brought forth in this article, I probably will once again heavily hedge any bet on an upside bounce: A Sentiment(al) Journey.

So I will confess that I did indeed put an iron condor on just after I had the thought. I can resist anything besides temptation.
Fortunately for me, the rest of the week has been absolutely perfect for the trade. I did it on IWM, using March options, because they're so cheap. Of course, if I actually understood gamma, I would never do such a thing.
So far, so good. I have a feeling I'm in for an ass-whupping on Monday. Why? Negative gamma numbers that are astronomical, that's why.
If I can see through my tears, I'll update on Monday. If you don't see said update on Monday, it'll be because I defenestrated smack into the spiky pyracantha just outside my window.
Won't be fatal, but it'll hurt like hell. Kinda like being negative gamma up the yazoo...

The Danger of Complexity

Below, a good argument for the KISS principle, and an equally good argument to be skeptical of most "indicators", or economists spouting crazy complex theories, or whatever other example you prefer.
I actually, back when I was starting out, bought a book called "The Encyclopedia of Technical Market Indicators", a book which managed to show that most indicators don't do much. The only ones it found that did something were Wilder's RSI when it moved over or under 50, simple moving averages, and a weird little filtering technique that some folks use on the Nasdaq, where they buy when it goes more than 4% higher than its previous low, or if it moves down 4% from a new high they sell, and stay sold until it moves 4% higher than where the signal was given, or the lowest low after the signal if the market moves down subsequently. This is done on a weekly closing basis only.
All of these techniques are very simple. None of them involve larding on things like "oversold" and "overbought" levels on the RSI, or any of the other stuff folks pile on, including me of course, although I at least have never been guilty of using the overbought/oversold nonsense on the RSI. I invented my own nonsense, and suffered accordingly.
The formula I had my son work out and that I mentioned early on, is actually very simple arithmetic, and I use it very simply: if it's positive, it means buy, if it's negative, it means sell. The intellectual muscle is in the idea (also a very simple idea, by the way), not the implementation. (It was tough to figure out the formula because it's being used against a random series of numbers, not a simple sine wave.)
The argument against complexity, and for a healthy dose of skepticism, comes from a favorite book I have, Pragmatics of Human Communication. It's chock full of dazzling little insights, like the following:

That there is no necessary relation between fact and explanation was illustrated in a recent experiment by Bavelas (20): Each subject was told that he was participating in an experimental investigation of "concept formation" and was given the same gray, pebbly card about which he was to "formulate concepts". Of every pair of subjects (seen separately but concurrently) one was told eight out of ten times at random that what he said about the card was correct; the other was told five out of ten times at random that what he said about the card was correct. The ideas of the subject who was "rewarded" with a frequency of 80 per cent remained on a simple level, while the subject who was "rewarded" only at a frequency of 50 per cent evolved complex, subtle, and abstruse theories about the card, taking into consideration the tiniest detail of the card's composition. When the two subjects were brought together and asked to discuss their findings, the subject with the simpler ideas immediately succumbed to the "brilliance" of the other's concepts and agreed that the latter had analyzed the card accurately.

Well, I did that iron condor on IWM hoping it would bounce around 67.5, and that's what it's done, for three days now. As of this very moment @67.43.
Crazy.
Waiting for my luck to run out...

Finally out of the range, and to the side I preferred: down. I have a vertical 62/59 put spread for May to catch that side if it goes too far down. Didn't have anything on the plus side. Bought back the puts there, which were 69ers, so my gamma exposure is now way way down.
A small trade, but it still made my heart go into crazy fibrillations. Not sure if I could do this on a regular basis.

...and now back to nearly unchanged. If this continues tomorrow, I'll take back the sold puts, (I meant sold calls in the previous post; confusion!!), and all I'll have left is the bought wings. And some profits.
Could this be a trading plan for the future on these things????
Only under ideal conditions like the present ones, it looks like...

Given today's RVX reading, and the level IWM closed at, an iron condor with 72/63 Aprils sold would be "safe", if returns are normally distributed.
Which they're not. But should I pretend? I mean, even if I'm wrong about that, I have time to fix things, right?

Somebody kick me.

Back to a total lack of interest in the options on GLD. Odd going into an options expiration week.
It's holding up well, but sooner or later gold is going to have to give. That's the picture that's forming more clearly with every passing day. This lack of interest in it is just not a good thing.
Comparing to VIX, VIX options volume is down from last month's options expiration, but not by nearly as much. Also, two of the past three days, including today, show a noticeable uptick in interest. Nothing like that going on in GLD. Quite the opposite, actually.

Continued low interest in GLD options, even despite the nice jump today in the price. Obviously not exactly a perfect system, but what is? What I find is what I've always found: systems all tend to break at the same time. The gold one is a trend follower, the others are fades, doesn't matter. They all point down, and all have been, overall, wrong for the past month. C'est la guerre.
Still, the money is in the skills, not the system, and so I've still managed to squeeze something out of my GDX trades; it's just been really hard. Also managed to squeeze IWM for a profit just because of this iron condor experiment. I swear you could not construct a better environment than the past week for doing one with the center price being 67.50. It's been uncanny.
Took profits on the put side today, so now all I have left is the bought wings: 71 calls, 65 puts. Both are very nearly worthless, have three days to expire. Which means the gamma is out of sight.
These are "lottery tickets": low priced options that, if they hit, would make lots and lots in comparison to the price on them. In essence, I paid for them with the profits from the sold puts/calls in this iron condor. So, if either one hits, pure gravy.
No, I'm not expecting that. But it's an interesting strategy. I still don't like that these are the reverse of a vertical: the risk is higher than the reward, but the risk side has a very low probability of biting you. Just that when it does, months of profit could easily be wiped out.
Also, there's the fact that calls consistently have lower vols than puts, and usually sell for less than historical vol. This makes managing the call side interesting, to say the least, since of course this makes squeezing a profit out of them that much harder.
Oh well, nothing is ever easy.

These are "lottery tickets": low priced options that, if they hit, would make lots and lots in comparison to the price on them. In essence, I paid for them with the profits from the sold puts/calls in this iron condor. So, if either one hits, pure gravy.

Rumour has it that Nassim Taleb gets his gravy this way too.

He closed his fund that did this. Said options were getting too expensive. Probably true, as people are doubtless getting better at calculating the real probabilities on this stuff.

Trying to leg into a 64/63, 72/73 in April.
RVX implies 64/73 is safe at the current price around 68.50. Did a quick look at the historical vols, based on 22 trading days left to expiration, the actual number of days. RVX gives a vol slightly north of 6, but the average for this number of days is actually slightly north of 5, and the median is actually below 4. So, the probabilities are with selling 64/72 being reasonable.
Reasonableness and the markets don't really go together, but whaddahey. It's spring and I'm feeling adventurous, or something.

I swear I'm being set up for a kill. Too much luck.
Got filled on the 64/63, and on the sold 72 Apr calls. That would leave me hanging bigtime on the call side, except that the leftover 71 MARs from that first effort are still there, and would cover me in the event of a big move to that side.
So, I put in a bid at .12 today for the 73s, will do the same tomorrow, and maybe even Friday if this keeps up. I can afford to wait for my price. Good position to be in.

BTW, for the few following along, in order to do this for serious money you'd have to use the options on the index itself rather than IWM. Profits on IWM are pretty much eaten up by commish + spreads.
Obviously, though, you don't move on to the index without first trying it out on the ETF. 72 Aprils sell for 2.30/2.50 over on the index, an order of magnitude over the .25 I paid on the IWM options. Which means the risk/reward is an order of magnitude higher.
But you get to keep most of what you make, if you can manage to be consistently profitable.
Why GDX then, you ask? GDX volatility is so high the profits actually can overcome the commish + spreads. I'm not sure that's the case with NYX, which is why I'm not sure what to do about that one yet at all. But over here with IWM, once I figure out how I want to trade it, I'll just move on to the RUT options so as to radically minimize my cost of doing business.

Persistent support since the 3 PM bar yesterday @68.39 on IWM. Need that to break to get filled.
Gold is finally beginning to crack under the pressure of the USD galloping against EUR. It's amazing how much pressure it takes to even get a crack, though. I still think there's a huge air pocket waiting for it, but it's sure taking its sweet time falling into it. And of course spot is rallying again as I write this. Crazy.

So I got greedy, lowered my bid to .11, still no fill. Not really worried. I'll worry tomorrow.
Just as a point of curiousity, RVX's "normal" level, based on my sampling of the historical data on IWM (not an exact match to RUT, but close enough), is around 18.5, and that sample includes data from both the fall of '08 and the spring of '09, both of which featured very high levels of actual volatility, the first because of the crisis, the second because of the supercharged start of the rebound in March and April of last year. RVX rarely gets that low, though.
It occurs to me that sheer uncertainty may be what's screwing up gold. If the data tonight shows low options volume again, and tomorrow winds up being a sideways sort of day there, I might put in a strangle of some sort for when the uncertainty lifts. Do it on June expiration, to allow time for it to happen.
Somebody got their shorts in a twist over in USD today. Looked ugly for the dollar bears at 11AM. If these were normal times, I would be celebrating a 10% down day in GDX.
Mutter, mutter, mutter...
Interesting story on Bloomberg re Spain. Didn't realize their governance was so bad. Europe may be in for an interesting ride.

Got filled @.10 on that neat little downdraft we just had, which is already being bought into. People buy dips these days so fast that when a downdraft happens, if you blink you miss it.