Self taught? Impossible!

This is why I now rarely get involved in discussions about trading and the markets. If you think they change and that it was easier to make money 10 years ago, that is your prerogative.

...and people think I can learn something new from someone else...Same ol'...same ol'...:sleep:

So youre beyond learning then!? That explains a lot!!! :D

You, like others here, have great difficulty comprehending very simple statements.

People...sheesh!:rolleyes:

Oooo i dont think so, not if your attitude on the money thread is anything to go by.
In your mind you know it all!.. Simples! :D

All it matters is succeeding.

Give the man credit for doing it without others.

Well, I think it's all up to you if you want to learn from others or not. For me, learning from others is always a benefit for me.

I think sometimes you may not really learn new stuffs instead, you may refresh or renew what you have learned before. Anyways, stop learning should be the first sign of stop improvement.

Let me get back to "Self-Taught". I think trading requires a life time commitment of being the best of you, it means you must be better every day as long as you are trading. If this is the case, it doesn't make sense that you can part time a life time commitment, no matter self-taught or not.

I believe you can be a self-taught who must learn and build trading skill every day from everything he can find FULL Time for his entire trading life.

This is why I now rarely get involved in discussions about trading and the markets. If you think they change and that it was easier to make money 10 years ago, that is your prerogative.

...and people think I can learn something new from someone else...Same ol'...same ol'...:sleep:

I'm not sure about 10 years ago but Bruce Kovner certainly says the markets changed for him. (market wizards)

"we dont know, what we don't know."

"to know and not to do, is not to know."

Maybe (and I use the term maybe because I cannot speak for new-trader) he has learnt the core skills that he needs to learn in order to analyse, interpret and trade the markets of his choice to achieve the goals of his choice. He has been able to do this through various changing market conditions, identify those conditions and trade appropriately. Maybe what he is seeing is consistent curve fitting and system hunting. Maybe, just maybe what you all seem to interpret as an arrogant statement has beautiful simplicity to it but instead you are doing the distinctly human thing of attempting to measure yourselves against him. His confidence is inspiring, instead you choose to shoot it down using weak **** like the fear of the unknown.

New-trader I salute you.

Yes maybe he has 100 x the experience and knowledge that I do. Especially since I only trade my retirement funds. But it's my belief, in life, there is always more to learn. Even in my full time occupation which I have been at for 26 years, I am always learning something new, reading books, attending seminars, paying $15,000 per years in coaching and education. All this AND I am ranked in the top 1% of my field AND I am the top 1-2% income beaker for north america.
I never have said there is nothing to learn from others. There's always more to learn. It's just having an open mind.

I think the hard part about being self-taught is that you probably have a lot to un-learn by the time you can teach yourself.

Unless of course, you decide on day to trade and then just 'learn from the market' without any books, ebooks, courses, forums etc.

I guess if you avoided all the mis-information you might crack it. Still - who has really done that?

I think the hard part about buying "education" from some numpty marketeer who can't even trade himself but pretends that he can is that you definitely have a lot to un-learn by the time you can teach yourself.

:D

I think the hard part about buying "education" from some numpty marketeer who can't even trade himself but pretends that he can is that you definitely have a lot to un-learn by the time you can teach yourself.

:D

I beg to differ, Joel Parker manages to make 50% of his students profitable with a weeks training. I think he might even be tape reading world champion or something, he kills the market day in day out.

I beg to differ, Joel Parker manages to make 50% of his students profitable with a weeks training. I think he might even be tape reading world champion or something, he kills the market day in day out.

It is not easy to do that and that too on a consistent basis. From what i have seen is that along with the training we need to do a lot of practice to be able to become profitable traders.:clap:

It is not easy to do that and that too on a consistent basis. From what i have seen is that along with the training we need to do a lot of practice to be able to become profitable traders.:clap:

Unbelievable:eek:

I think n_t has a point - sort of. I've stopped listening to others - that doesn't mean I couldn't learn from them. It's just they are too much of a distraction and I'd rather concentrate on my own thoughts & strategy these days.

My trading hasn't really changed much in the last 2-3 years and it's all about minor tweaks rather than listening to and trying out new ideas.

I think n_t has a point - sort of. I've stopped listening to others - that doesn't mean I couldn't learn from them. It's just they are too much of a distraction and I'd rather concentrate on my own thoughts & strategy these days.

My trading hasn't really changed much in the last 2-3 years and it's all about minor tweaks rather than listening to and trying out new ideas.

Good post (y).

Amount of time posters spend on this board is amazing. Most here may be either
- retired and hence, trading / simulating / spending time on board is a pass time for them
- college going / young unemployed again trading / simulating is a hobby for them
- you are super rich and are here only to kill time
- seriously trading and earning living off trading - I salute you guys if you exist

Not many would be able to do a full time paid job and also making meaningful earning from trading / spending time on these boards.

That's the thing...you don't have to change the way you trade to benefit from other's findings. Some are extremely simple to apply to your own trading process, and would literally save the trader concerned a fortune over his trading career! Notice i said "his"; women's biological make-up does not enable them to trade for Alpha successfully. They can't handle the equity swings. Before the protesters turn up en-masse, I should point out I'm not being sexist - I think women are fantastic!