Seeking consistency

Re: Kiwi & Ozzie 4H counter trend (short) triggers

ndz usd short @ 0.80 40 STOP = 0.80 75 (-35) target 0.78 40 (+200) R= 5+
aud usd short @ 1.02 90 STOP = 1.03 30 (-30) target 1. 00 50 (+240) R= 8+

AUD USD has seen 1.02 50, which is +40pips from my 1.02 90 entry and therefore my trigger to move my stop on this trade to its break even position

NZD USD has seen 0.80 10, which is +30pips from my entry, no action is there for yet required on this pair (risk remains -35 pips to stop at 0.80 75)

NZD USD has seen 0.80 10, which is +30pips from my entry, no action is there for yet required on this pair (risk remains -35 pips to stop at 0.80 75)

Following the nfp news release this pair saw 0.79 82 (+58pips) and so I have also moved my stop to the entry (Break Even Level) on this trade

I will now monitor both of these pairs on the 4Hourly time-frame and trail my stop as 'obvious' levels form (such as swing highs below my present entry / stop level) or until my ambitious targets are reached.

As both are in strong 'up' trends I am expecting to be stopped out for NIL, but if this is the start of a reversal, I am very well positioned with these two trades

lets see what happens next week

Attachments

• nzd usd 4h  triggered move (50% retrace entry).gif
    nzd usd 4h triggered move (50% retrace entry).gif
    26 KB · Views: 138
  • aud usd 4h  triggered move (50% retrace entry).gif
    aud usd 4h triggered move (50% retrace entry).gif
    24.6 KB · Views: 160

I will now monitor both of these pairs on the 4Hourly time-frame and trail my stop as 'obvious' levels form (such as swing highs below my present entry / stop level) or until my ambitious targets are reached.
lets see what happens next week
Both pairs have printed Swing Highs on the 4 hour time frame, providing a reasonable place to trail my stops to, locking in approximately R2 (two times the number of pips risked)
AUD USD to 1.02 15 (+75pips) NZD USD to 0. 79 75 ( +65pips)

I notice that they have also both printed nice 'hammer' type candles (potential long triggers) on the daily chart, at reasonable levels (50% - 61.8% of their previous 4 hour 'up' swing) to rejoin the dominant daily long trend, so I quite expect my stops to be taken out in the next day or two...

Attachments

• aud 4h chart - trail stop 1.02 15 sw hi.gif
    aud 4h chart - trail stop 1.02 15 sw hi.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 146
  • aud d chart - potential long signal.gif
    aud d chart - potential long signal.gif
    30 KB · Views: 136
  • nzd usd 4h chart -trail stop 0.79 75 sw hi.gif
    nzd usd 4h chart -trail stop 0.79 75 sw hi.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 124
  • nzd usd d chart -potential long signal.gif
    nzd usd d chart -potential long signal.gif
    30.8 KB · Views: 150

, so I quite expect my stops to be taken out in the next day or two...

Stops were hit soon after this post, netting 2 trades at R2, which I am very happy with for 'counter trend' trades

Price has not moved significantly higher (which was what I was expecting) or lower since, so may stay range bound for a while now. I am searching for other opportunities

GBP AUD potential to short

Both my daily and 4 hour time frame are indicating short at the moment (moving averages)
Price for this pair has retraced into the 50/61.8% fib level of the previous 4H down leg

Whilst there is no obvious trigger, there have been three unsuccessful attempts to get above 1.52 54 this week, which acted as daily support in April and may now act as resistance

I have placed an order short at 1.52 20 with a stop above this apparent resistance at 1.52 60 (40 pips risk) and a target of 1.50 00 as this provided strong support at the end of 2011 (220 pips reward) R=3.6

As this trade is with the dominant trend on both of my time-frames, I am happy with the lack of a clear 'set up trigger' candle to trade off and the ambitious target

Attachments

• gbp aud 4h chart.gif
    gbp aud 4h chart.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 131
  • gbp aud d chart.gif
    gbp aud d chart.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 136
You cover a lot of pairs?

GBPAUD has a very big spread. Do you think you're return over 1000 trades is enough to "beat" the spread you're incurring?

You cover a lot of pairs?

GBP AUD has a very big spread. Do you think you're return over 1000 trades is enough to "beat" the spread you're incurring?

Hello D70

Thank you for your post

I look at what I consider to be the seven 'major' currencies pairs (thats is USD vs.: EUR, JPY, GBP, CAD, CHF, AUD, NZD) and all of the combinations thereof.
I also look at (but very rarely trade) SnP, DJ, FTSE, DAX, Gold, Silver & Oil

I can easily review all of these on a weekly basis and filter out those which I think are worth looking at more frequently on each day (and some times after the close of each 4 hourly candle bar if the price has reach a level, which I have marked and alarmed as a good area for a trade entry) to identify if a 'trigger' candle (usually I like to use 'hammer' and 'shooting star' or 'pin bar' candle bar formations as 'triggers' to set my trade orders as they provide clear entry and stop levels (which are vitally important, to know that I'll be out of a trade if the set up I have decided to use is proven to be invalid).

With reference to the spread, on my platform the spread is 6 pips, which I am comfortable with.

My strategy is to 'broadly' identify set up 'triggers' with 50 or less pips risk and a realistic potential reward of at least 100 pips

If we assume every trade set up provided either -50 or +100 and 50% win ratio, then I would have lost
500trades X -50pips
and won
500 trades X 100+pips
which would have cost me 500 X 6 pips 'spread'

500 X -50 = -25,000pips
500 X +100 = 50,000pips
'profit' = 25,000 pips
'cost' = 6,000 pips (spread of 6 pips for 1,000 trades)
'result' = 19,000 pips
cost = 24% of total won

24% of total profit is significant I agree, especially compared to other pairs, but
If some of the winning trades ran to more than R2, the 'cost' in percentage terms would be lower
If the win ratio was higher than 50%, the 'cost' would be lower

If my 'set up' shows up more frequently on pairs / indices / commodities that have lower spreads than my average 'cost' of trading, over a sample 1,000 trades would be lower

Finally, if I only traded this pair and made the example risk reward and win ratio used above I would be very happy, despite the 'large' spread:
If we assume a risk of 50pips @£1 per pip represents 2% of my starting capital, then the capital 'investment' is £2,500
A 19,000 pip return (ie after the 6 pips per trade 'cost) is £1 per pip £19k, or 760%
Clearly that s a phenomenal return, but there is no way my strategy would offer 1,000 trade opportunities in one year.

To make the numbers easier, if I took 2 trades a week for 50 weeks of the year (more realistic) I would have exactly 10% of the 1,000 trades scenario.
Assuming I only took the GBP AUD pair (or others with the 6 pips spread) then I would make a net (after spread) profit of £1,900 on my £2,500 capital (assuming no compounding during the course of the year, such as increasing £/pip each month to remain the 3% of capital risk), which is an annual return of 76%. I still find that phenomenal for an "after all costs and charges, before tax" return (and if you spread bet in the UK, there is no tax due!)

So, yes I agree with you that this pair have a large spread, but not prohibitively so, given my hypothetical example described here. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Hello D70

Thank you for your post

I look at what I consider to be the seven 'major' currencies pairs (thats is USD vs.: EUR, JPY, GBP, CAD, CHF, AUD, NZD) and all of the combinations thereof.
I also look at (but very rarely trade) SnP, DJ, FTSE, DAX, Gold, Silver & Oil

I can easily review all of these on a weekly basis and filter out those which I think are worth looking at more frequently on each day (and some times after the close of each 4 hourly candle bar if the price has reach a level, which I have marked and alarmed as a good area for a trade entry) to identify if a 'trigger' candle (usually I like to use 'hammer' and 'shooting star' or 'pin bar' candle bar formations as 'triggers' to set my trade orders as they provide clear entry and stop levels (which are vitally important, to know that I'll be out of a trade if the set up I have decided to use is proven to be invalid).

With reference to the spread, on my platform the spread is 6 pips, which I am comfortable with.

My strategy is to 'broadly' identify set up 'triggers' with 50 or less pips risk and a realistic potential reward of at least 100 pips

If we assume every trade set up provided either -50 or +100 and 50% win ratio, then I would have lost
500trades X -50pips
and won
500 trades X 100+pips
which would have cost me 500 X 6 pips 'spread'

500 X -50 = -25,000pips
500 X +100 = 50,000pips
'profit' = 25,000 pips
'cost' = 6,000 pips (spread of 6 pips for 1,000 trades)
'result' = 19,000 pips
cost = 24% of total won

24% of total profit is significant I agree, especially compared to other pairs, but
If some of the winning trades ran to more than R2, the 'cost' in percentage terms would be lower
If the win ratio was higher than 50%, the 'cost' would be lower

If my 'set up' shows up more frequently on pairs / indices / commodities that have lower spreads than my average 'cost' of trading, over a sample 1,000 trades would be lower

Finally, if I only traded this pair and made the example risk reward and win ratio used above I would be very happy, despite the 'large' spread:
If we assume a risk of 50pips @£1 per pip represents 2% of my starting capital, then the capital 'investment' is £2,500
A 19,000 pip return (ie after the 6 pips per trade 'cost) is £1 per pip £19k, or 760%
Clearly that s a phenomenal return, but there is no way my strategy would offer 1,000 trade opportunities in one year.

To make the numbers easier, if I took 2 trades a week for 50 weeks of the year (more realistic) I would have exactly 10% of the 1,000 trades scenario.
Assuming I only took the GBP AUD pair (or others with the 6 pips spread) then I would make a net (after spread) profit of £1,900 on my £2,500 capital (assuming no compounding during the course of the year, such as increasing £/pip each month to remain the 3% of capital risk), which is an annual return of 76%. I still find that phenomenal for an "after all costs and charges, before tax" return (and if you spread bet in the UK, there is no tax due!)

So, yes I agree with you that this pair have a large spread, but not prohibitively so, given my hypothetical example described here. Does that make sense?

I'm just happy to hear that you've considered it in some detail. Most people dont include spread in their thoughts. It can be the difference between 'make or break'.

Re: GBP AUD potential to short

I have placed an order short at 1.52 20 with a stop above this apparent resistance at 1.52 60 (40 pips risk) and a target of 1.50 00 as this provided strong support at the end of 2011 (220 pips reward) R=3.6

Order removed as price has moved through 1. 51 40 (over 2 times my risk from my entry). In other words, I was too late in spotting this one

GBP NZD potential short opportunity

My daily trend is down and although the 4H chart has recently 'crossed' long, I have placed a short order at this level due to the combination of previous daily support and resistance and a very clear 4H trigger candle, of a 'shooting star' type formation

I have placed an order approximately 50% back into the trigger candle at
1.96 10 with a stop at 1.96 60 (-50pips risk) and a profit target of the previous weekly swing low @ 1.91 70 (+440) R8, if seen

Attachments

• gbp nzd d set up.gif
    gbp nzd d set up.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 121
  • gbp nzd 4h trigger.gif
    gbp nzd 4h trigger.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hi leia,
Nice simple method, not too dissimilar to a positional strategy I used to trade off just the daily.
Have you checked to see if some of the pairs trend more/longer than other pairs?
Similarly some analysis on setups - do some pairs who trend same amounts offer different number of setups?
Thks

Re: GBP NZD potential short opportunity

I have placed an order approximately 50% back into the trigger candle at
1.96 10 with a stop at 1.96 60 (-50pips risk) and a profit target of the previous weekly swing low @ 1.91 70 (+440) R8, if seen

This trade has opened and moved to R1 @ 1.96 10, I have moved my stop to breakeven

I now see that this level (1.96 10) has formed a good high on the 4 hour chart to trail my stop to and that price has achieved R2 (+100pips @ 1.95 10)

Attachments

• gbp nzd 4h trailing stop.gif
    gbp nzd 4h trailing stop.gif
    23.3 KB · Views: 136
Hi leia,
Nice simple method, not too dissimilar to a positional strategy I used to trade off just the daily.
Have you checked to see if some of the pairs trend more/longer than other pairs?
Similarly some analysis on setups - do some pairs who trend same amounts offer different number of setups?
Thks

Hello rsh01

Thank you for your post, do you no longer use the strategy like this one?

No, I haven't analysed which pairs trend the most and for the longest runs, that is an interesting suggestion. I have noticed that the USD crosses (with the exception of the USD JPY) often behave in the same way at the same time, whereas the subsidiary pairs behave in a more independent manner

I also haven't noted the frequency of similar trade set ups appearing on certain pairs.

Two very interesting questions, which I will look to answer over time moving forward

Hello rsh01

Thank you for your post, do you no longer use the strategy like this one?

No, I haven't analysed which pairs trend the most and for the longest runs, that is an interesting suggestion. I have noticed that the USD crosses (with the exception of the USD JPY) often behave in the same way at the same time, whereas the subsidiary pairs behave in a more independent manner

I also haven't noted the frequency of similar trade set ups appearing on certain pairs.

Two very interesting questions, which I will look to answer over time moving forward

I believe it is a dead-end looking into which pairs "trend the best". This is purely a random function. Assuming eurusd trends "better" than another is simple curve fitting. Over time (3 - 10 years say) I bet all forex pairs "trend" and "consolidate" to the same degree. Look at any methodical strategy and this is soon proved correct as pnl's ebb and flow with trending/consolidating markets.

Altho there is something to be said for trading "where the action is......" maybe that is really the point rhs01 is trying to make?

Gold long

My daily and 4hour trends are short and the daily chart appears to be consolidating into a smaller and smaller trading range

Yesterdays candle was 'hammer-esque' in its formation and may signal the start of a move up, to and possibly through the descending trend-line that is 'squeezing' this pair up

It is not one for me though, but interesting to watch for the next few sessions

Attachments

• gold daily set up (counter trend, inside 'coil').gif
    gold daily set up (counter trend, inside 'coil').gif
    32.4 KB · Views: 118
EUR GBP short

The daily and 4hour charts are 'short'

Price has retraced 61.8/50% of the previous 4 hourly down swing leg and is showing some signs of rejection of higher prices

I have set a short order at .79 00 with a stop just above this weeks high at .79 20 and a target at the monthly swing low / monthly descending channel low at 0.77 00
A some what ambitious 'R' of 10

If this trade should open I will trail my stop as usual

I am aware that the previous daily candle indicates a rejection of lower prices and could be the initiation of a greater up move back toward the daily moving averages

Attachments

• eur gbp 4h set up and trigger short.gif
    eur gbp 4h set up and trigger short.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 124
  • eur gbp daily.gif
    eur gbp daily.gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 142
  • eur gbp monthly study.gif
    eur gbp monthly study.gif
    28.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Re: EUR GBP short

I have set a short order at .79 00 with a stop just above this weeks high at .79 20 and a target at the monthly swing low / monthly descending channel low at 0.77 00
A some what ambitious 'R' of 10
If this trade should open I will trail my stop as usual

Order has been trigger and price achieved R1 (+20pips) @ 0.78 80 so I have now moved my stop to break eve

watch list for week commencing July 16th '12

I have just reviewed all of my charts and identified the following as 'ones to watch' next week

The identification is based simply on trend (daily and 4 hourly moving averages in alignment, at the present time)

dir pair level of interest
short EUR USD 1.22 60
short GBP USD
long USD CHF 0.98 00
long GOLD EURO 1,288.0
short EUR GBP
short EUR NZD
short EUR AUD
short EUR JPY 97.50
short GBP CAD 1.58 15
short GBP NZD 1.96 00 (already traded this week of a R1 win)
short GPB JPY 123.30
short CHF JPY 80.84 or 81.25,watch price action
long NZD CHF
long AUD CHF

I also noticed two potential counter trend set ups on the daily time frame
long EUR CAD price is at support from 2010
short CAD CHF price is at a weekly swing high

I have just viewed this prior to posting (Preview Post) and noticed that the spacing has been removed, making my 'table' look a mess. Does anyone know if you can add a tabular format to the t2w site?

Hello,

Can anyone shed light on what will happen to all those open positions, Long/Short, for EURCHF in case of EuroZone break up? I mean how will an adjustment take place?

Thanks

Hello,

Can anyone shed light on what will happen to all those open positions, Long/Short, for EURCHF in case of EuroZone break up? I mean how will an adjustment take place?

Thanks

Hello swedendenmark

Thank you for your post

I assume you are referring to all of the pairs I have listed as 'ones to watch' for next week? If so, they are not open positions, only pairs that I am keeping a close eye on next week.

The only open position I have at the moment is a short EUR GBP, where my stop is at breakeven, so I will either be stopped out for NIL or continue to trail my stop behind price as it falls either to my target or until price reverses and hits my trailing stop

With reference to your specific question regarding EUR CHF and the potential break up of the euro zone, I am afraid I have absolutely no idea what the 'adjustment' you mention is, or when / if / how it might take place.

All I know is that should I have any positions open at the time, they will be closed off by hitting the levels that I have set either for stop loss or take profit purposes. Sorry I can't offer anything further, I don't really think you have posed your query on the correct thread?