Scraping The Barrel and Fool's Gold

wisestguy

Most people when they talk about scalping actually mean what I have called - scraping.
Let me clarify this in simple plain terms and give you my view as to why scraping does not really work.

First what is scalping ? real scalps occur when you can profitably sell on the offer and buy on the bid . This will depend on :

1) simultaneous buy and sell trades

you put an order and sit on the bid and offer at the same time and hope that they both get hit before the bid/offer changes. sell at 38.5 , buy at 38, net profit gross comms and costs = 1 tic .

so this is crucial , otherwise you cannot scalp you may be doing sonething else but it's not real scalping. in order to do this the market MUST ALLOW YOU TO SIT ON BOTH SIDES OF THE B/O SPREAD. usually this means an exchange traded market , likle the S&P.

most people overlook this very important fact when they think about scalping. for instance the forex interbank market is NOT an exchange .

It is literally many markets MADE UP of multiple banks quoting prices . the spread is NOT constantly known or singular , it is MADE UP when you ask for a quote. The trade sizes are not known either.

so the scalper has no control over the 2 way trade and over what size the trade would be. petentially , he could be hit 1 side only with a large order . that is a position he has and NOT a scalp.

you cannot also be a market maker unless you join a bank , even then they cannot scalp in the true sense due to the aforesaid.

2) commisions and transaction cost less than 1 tic/ bid.

quite obviously if this is more than 1 tic , you cannot in trade profitably within the b/o spread.

3) the market not suddenlymoivng leaving you open at the wrong end.

also if the market suddenly shoots away , one side of your scalp will be hit leaving an open position opposite to the market move. Thus you are bidding@ 38 , offering @ 38.5 on the spread.

MrBig/weakego steps in and takes all the offers in sight shooting the market up 20tics.
the market is now 58.5 and you are short @38.5 . bad news and you are in trouble,losing 20 tics .

Most Retail Players do not have the above advantages so they CANNOT scalp ,mainly due to (2) but also SET UP COSTS which can be huge .

to gain direct access to the exchanges , you either have to be a member ( a local ) or rent a seat , then only will your comms and deal costs be competitive . buying a seat at the major excahnges in Chicago , Osaka , Singapore will cost you an arm and a leg ( $ 100's of thousands ). And so will renting , at least in reward to costs terms.

This will be out of the reach of 99% pf people here .

so we are left with what I've coined " scraping " . what this is , is basically a trader taking a profit as soon as he can with the idea of preventing a slippage which wipes away his profit.

He cannot do a classic scalp because:

Say his comms and fees are 1.5 tic . he cannot sit on the bid @ 35 and the ask @ 36 , even is he gets taken on both sides at , he is still out the money by 0.5 tic.

( retail comms/fees are more than exchange members , that's why you have to buy membership. )

no use , multiply by 100's and thats a lot of loss to give the market .

so they only way is a pseudo scalp , he does not sit on the spread but he makes a mini directional call . he say takes the offer @ 36 and hopes the market goes up by more than 2 tics .

so if the market goes up say 7 tics tp 43 , he quickly sells for a 7 tic gain minus his comms etc and the profit is 5.5 tics, something he hopes to repeat as much a she can.

But this is a HIGH risk and LOW reward style . why ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

let's say he uses a stop , at the tightest possible price - @ 34 , with comms @ 1.5 tic , his min. loss , barring slippage etc, which is not uncommon is 3.5 tic , thereby giving him a reward to risk ratio on a typical trade of 5.5/3.5 , less than 1 , which is crap !

if you say - ' ah I will not just take my 7 tics , I'm a clever dick I will let profits run ' . well then you are not scraping anymore but regular swing trading.
But also you now risk any small scrape profits being eaten away by the swings that inevitably occur when sw. trading . again not scraping anymore.

So now we come to the fool's gold part . we see a lot of " systems " hyped as giving 90% winning trades , and usually they advocate scraping as the method of choice.

I think this is B*ll**ks:

- I would like someone to show me he has traded proftably with a high R:R over a couple of years , then I may believe you . I have seen NO such eveidence despite such unsubstaniated claims. who wouldn't want a 90% system if true.

- Even if true , the R:R would be low , less than 1 ( see above ) . Thus it would only take that 10% of losing trades to come at an inoppurtune time and all your gains will turn to losses , since you had so little in the bank anyway.

- if you swing then that's swing trading not scraping , and you would have to lenghten your stops to accomadate the swings , and trading at high frequency over time will lose you a large chunk of a sustained trend . either way your R:R will be comparatively unsatisfactory as agaunst more normal systems.

so scraping isn't scalping and it's 90% winners ain't gold or silver or even brass. take it for what it is - fools gold .

of course I am happy to be proved wrong but I doubt it .

This has taken me some time and trouble and I had planned on doing 3 articles as agreed on the " things are getting better " thread but recent events have reveled to me that this place is no longer totally condusive for free open creative discourse .

So.... enjoy .

Last edited:
wisestguy said:
- I would like someone to show me he has traded proftably with a high R:R over a couple of years , then I may believe you .

Have you looked at the "have you ventured to the dark side?" thread in the general trading chat area? I get the impression that wannagetstacked likes to scrape in this matter, and happily adds up his pips at the end of the day.

JO

show me how much he/she has made over his base capital and over time , then we'll see .

til now I have seen no such evidence.

I must add that I am NOT hoping and waiting to be proved wrong , as many of you are .

My personal system is far superior than this BS scraping rubbish , but I added that bit at the end to show an " open mind " as is requisite in this BS PC world of ours , but I remain firmly sceptical.

Last edited:
wisestguy said:
show me how much he/she has made over his base capital and over time , then we'll see .

til now I have seen no such evidence.

I must add that I am NOT hoping and waiting to be proved wrong , as many of you are .

My personal system is far superior than this BS scraping rubbish , but I added that bit at the end to show an " open mind " as is requisite in this BS PC world of ours , but I remain firmly sceptical.
Why so prickly? I merely asked if you have observed or contacted someone on this board who appears to use this method successfully. No one is trying is trying to force you to believe anything.
JO

never had the intention to ask in 1st place , something you would have got if you understood the post.

and yes it's is a prickly subject when various BS traders pop up and claim 90% winners . don't mean nothing when you look carefully , that is if you want . if you don't , well then you might as well just write them a blank cheque.

I bet that guy has since been a net loser if he has traded over time and I bet he won't ever post on this thread.

I should add that some elements of the scraping style might be added to a swing system to make it even better , but then that would no longer be scraping but just a modified swing system.

So beware , any guy that comes out and says hey I got this 90% winner system , view with utmost scrutiny.do NOT be easily begulied , if you are don't complain later.

wisestguy said:
......don't mean nothing when you look carefully , that is if you want . if you don't , well then you might as well just write them a blank cheque....

Nathan has never claimed to have 90% winners, and never asked anyone for any money. He just started a thread, and said. " look, here's how and why I trade forex - ultra short term, and feel free to use any of this that is helpful to you..."
JO

who ?

it's like now with this big slide on the Dow , why would anyone be scraping when they could take large dollops out of the market ?

and Mrjumpy , do you scrape , so what is you R:R over the last year ?

that's the thing you see , you may still be anet wnieer but as long as your R:R remains low , you are in danger of being wiped out when that bad streak comes as it somes to all traders.

with the swing type traders , at least if they are good , then they already have a huge kitty built up , when the bad days come , they can just get out of the market knowing they have made a lot of money.

thank you eureka for pointing out what is an obvious FLAW in most so called live tradeposts - IE) the money is MAKE BELIEF not real . when it is real , as you have pointed out , it is a whole different ball game .

educational value aside , any fool can post pseudo live trades . I can delay the post by 20 seconds and it can then show you a bogus gain of X points . means nothing .

it is not that people don't know this , they do , with so many ' smart ' people on the board , this would have been picked up long ago.

what it is : is that psedo live trades are deemed ' real ' because that it what people wnat to believe , that something close to real trades has to be well ..... real .

but really that's crap , and we all know it . either the trades are live and from a real account or they are NOT , no nothing in between .

Are you sure those fxgame screen shot's weren't mine? I do not trade real money yet, and use fxgame, dukascopy, and amibroker for my charting when I ask a question or post a comment.

Also, I think that almost everyone who uses fxtrade also uses fxgame to road test new ideas, so it wouldn't be surprising if he sometimes used one or the other to illustrate a technique.

JO

that's the whole point , 90% winners looks great in a game , but not in real life.

WHY ? I'll tell you , because such a system puts MORE pressure on the person to make money , since he HAS to maintain this fictional 90% , each trade becomes a mini crisis point , and the result : he will find out the hard way why this is a fiction .

so back to fake money , no pressure , easy to make the 90%.

actually there's nothing new with this 90% BS , a lot of retailers here in Malaysia use it and guess what 90% of them are losers !

it's a false god , it gives in to the harmful notion that you should never lose . to be ever vigilant and take that small win in case it turns to a loss . what you are losing really is the chance for profits to run .

dumb . fool's gold.

from tubbs:

I find every trade I put on I am anxious about all the time. I also find that any retracement can kill your profits. It is also true that stops have to be taken instantly. I also have a belief that most short term trading is near random. Therefore the techniques described cover all of these points. You could trade this on random data - its is really just money management in its purest form - with an entry on higher probability. I hope I can become profitable doing it - at the moment I tend to break even - due mainly to overtrading.

confirms almost everything I said - fool's gold IOW.

and look at this , proof of the pudding , results from another guy who scrapes:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=9154

by my very bad math , he's down something like 9 units gross , hardly good is it .

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of what you say wisestguy, but am not entirely convinced. I trade 'mini-directional' positions as I think you put it and no doubt it is involving work with a lot of heat built up in commissions and continual adjustment of potential/actual entry/exit orders. Setups certainly have to be rigorously tested, tweaked and trusted too. Intuition derived from experience to determine context is also essential to avoid the stinkers. This may in fact be the key - subjectivity in selection of trades balanced upon objective mechanical entries.. However, you forget a crucial element, perhaps, namely that of position sizing and the ability to scale out. A high win rate can indeed be dangerous if one takes a big loss, or indeed several, for every x small wins, but this flaw can be mitigated into profitability by letting one or two lots run having taken a small profit at a fixed target on the bulk of a position. In this way costs can usually be covered while allowing one to profit from larger moves without risking more than a fraction of the original partially closed position.

That said, it is possible to scrape a few pips even when going against traditional R:R wisdom (i.e using considerably larger stops than targets) and not letting any run, as I did today, if very ineptly. Sure I could have done a lot better (I am not pleased by the below btw and there are easier ways of netting 38 odd pips) but choosing careful entry points can be one's saviour notwithstanding, not to mention the conviction to scratch or b/e when 'in doubt' (again subjective and not terribly useful, I know). Obviously one day's trades will not convince anyone but I thought I'd post anyway ...

One of the joys of scraping for me is a quick result - good or bad - and the consequently increased ability quickly to move on without becoming emotionally attached to a postion. In this way perhaps I am more 'available' to judge the market without emotional taint. Then again I always did loathe trends and that is probably a serious obstacle to increased, consistent profitabilty. But for the moment at least, I'm happy with my niche.

I hope juanbyte contributes to this thread because I believe this style may be his forte.

Last edited:
wisestguy said:
and look at this , proof of the pudding , results from another guy who scrapes:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=9154

by my very bad math , he's down something like 9 units gross , hardly good is it .

Not sure what "9 units" is or whether those trades were worth his while cause I don't know what the position sizes were. Nor would I jump to defend or condemn "scraping" cause what others do is no concern of mine. But fwiw those trades are all profitable

frugi said:
I agree with a lot of what you say wisestguy, but am not entirely convinced. I trade 'mini-directional' positions as I think you put it and no doubt it is involving work with a lot of heat built up in commissions and continual adjustment of potential/actual entry/exit orders.

Setups certainly have to be rigorously tested, tweaked and trusted too. Intuition derived from experience to determine context is also essential to avoid the stinkers. This may in fact be the key - subjectivity in selection of trades balanced upon objective mechanical entries.. However, you forget a crucial element, perhaps, namely that of position sizing and the ability to scale out. A high win rate can indeed be dangerous if one takes a big loss, or indeed several, for every x small wins, but this flaw can be mitigated into profitability by letting one or two lots run having taken a small profit at a fixed target on the bulk of a position. In this way costs can usually be covered while allowing one to profit from larger moves without risking more than a fraction of the original partially closed position.

That said, it is possible to scrape a few pips even when going against traditional R:R wisdom (i.e using considerably larger stops than targets) and not letting any run, as I did today, if very ineptly. Sure I could have done a lot better (I am not pleased by the below btw and there are easier ways of netting 38 odd pips) but choosing careful entry points can be one's saviour notwithstanding, not to mention the conviction to scratch or b/e when 'in doubt' (again subjective and not terribly useful, I know). Obviously one day's trades will not convince anyone but I thought I'd post anyway ...

One of the joys of scraping for me is a quick result - good or bad - and the consequently increased ability quickly to move on without becoming emotionally attached to a postion. In this way perhaps I am more 'available' to judge the market without emotional taint. Then again I always did loathe trends and that is probably a serious obstacle to increased, consistent profitabilty. But for the moment at least, I'm happy with my niche.

I hope juanbyte contributes to this thread because I believe this style may be his forte.

Bottom line : how much is your reward over capital at risk since you have been scraping ?

roguetrader said:
Not sure what "9 units" is or whether those trades were worth his while cause I don't know what the position sizes were. Nor would I jump to defend or condemn "scraping" cause what others do is no concern of mine. But fwiw those trades are all profitable

probably because he is embarrased by the sizes ? so I take each trade as a value of 1 unit for argument's sake.

I am commenting not concerned and perhaps I have made a mistake on the math , I did say I only had a cursory look .

bottom line: how much is the reward over capital at risk since he has been scraping ?

About 12 pips a day after commission since Nov 2004 on a £7k starting balance, i.e just under 0.5% a day. Nothing to shout about, for sure, but at least I'm no longer an intraday loser.

frugi said:
About 12 pips a day after commission since Nov 2004 on a £7k starting balance, i.e just under 0.5% a day. Nothing to shout about, for sure, but at least I'm no longer an intraday loser.
If a person were to do this
yesterday's balance + (yesterday's balance * 0.0045) * 300 trading days since nov 2004 =
-and let it compound - take nothing out, that's about about $27K. . Now that would be a nice trading stake....

I am always amazed how little %'s compounded daily add up so fast!

JO