sales trading

sam_w

is sales trading a good job? does it pay well and have good career progression prospects? will i be pigeon holed into staying in the field if i were to take a job as a sales trader?

I cant find much on it on google so didnt know who to ask.

btw the role is for a spread betting firm

is sales trading a good job?

Define good?

does it pay well and have good career progression prospects?

What is good money in your view?

will i be pigeon holed into staying in the field if i were to take a job as a sales trader?

Not necessarily, but if you want to be a museum curator you might have some trouble

sales trading is seen as a good job and be be very well paid on the sell side (ie/ in an investment bank). You're often working very closely with hedge fund and long only clients (assuming you're institutional - which is where you'll want to be), giving them news flow, rumours and insight into what you're buying and selling on any given day. As with any job on the sell side, what you get paid depends very much on your level (eg, an MD could be into 7 figures) but a decent sales trader with a good client list and 3+ yrs experience should be on a base well into 6 figures with a very good bonus potential (regulators allowing....). As far as where it can take you? I know of sales traders who have moved over to hedge funds / good prop desks (yes - they're still out there!)