S&P 500 weekly competition for 2012

1423 Խնդրում ենք ( anyone know this language ? wish google would put it in phonetics too ? or you got wiggle sqiggle wiigley something) :)

Is it Mayan? End of the world prediction?

You seem like a man who has too much time on his hands...

What's up with our old timers;

HWSteele
Samspade79
VielGeld
Tar

???

You never know At when you might not be in Armenia. You would have to write it down as I have no idea how it's pronounced. Could be life saving. :cool:

Just looking at the monthly chart - it seems fairly flat with a Xmas rise and a falling back in the New Year imho. The Fiscal Cliff might unsettle it for a while but companies generally are doing well, it's the sovereign (state) debt that is worrying.

Attachments

• monthly S&P 500.PNG
    monthly S&P 500.PNG
    95.5 KB · Views: 148
1425 if I'm not too late!

That's fine malaguti, I've added your number in.

Robster / Pat,

If you guys are lurking around - I'm having probs with the weighted average number. Doesn't look right???

Any pointers?

Many thanks,

That's fine malaguti, I've added your number in.

Robster / Pat,

If you guys are lurking around - I'm having probs with the weighted average number. Doesn't look right???

Any pointers?

Many thanks,

yes ok don't panic it's quite easy.

each forecast times points = x
.....etc..................

add up all the x s ( CZ ) and divide that number by the total number of points DA

CW * DB = CZ
Gaffs 1427 * 13 = 18551

hope that is clear ?

Last edited:
yes ok don't panic it's quite easy.

each forecast times points = x

add up all the x s ( CZ ) and divide that number by the total number of points DA

CW * DB = CZ
Gaffs 1427 * 13 = 18551

hope that is clear ?

That is what I thought was the case but the WT Avg = 1145 ???

Do the stars know something we don't???

I've tried with all entries and just 14 rows of entrants and no is still way off.

I've tried with all entries and just 14 rows of entrants and no is still way off.

It certainly seems very unlikely at 1145. Extraordinary outliers if there are any should be ignored. I will have a closer look.

Add up column CZ = 137122.2
Add up column DA = 97

CZ / DA = 1413.6

where you got 1145 I don't know.

A point that does arise is what to put as wt av forecast before it is calculated. I perhaps fudged it a bit by doing the calcs without it first off and then adding it when I had done that to get an improved figure with new calcs.
I see robster had it at 1414.4 which is probably about right tho I haven't checked it.

Add up column CZ = 137122.2
Add up column DA = 97

CZ / DA = 1413.6

where you got 1145 I don't know.

Formula sums and divides as you say Pat. Still don't know where it's going wrong to be honest but I've manually put in the figures as you had done.

Noticed I had Wt Avg and Avg mixed up. Anyhow its good now.

I've copied the formula to DB so I'll try putting it back next week.

Many thanks Pat. Knew you'd crack it. :)

A point that does arise is what to put as wt av forecast before it is calculated. I perhaps fudged it a bit by doing the calcs without it first off and then adding it when I had done that to get an improved figure with new calcs.
I see robster had it at 1414.4 which is probably about right tho I haven't checked it.

Pat is right. For the very first week of a quarter, nobody has any points so the wt avg cannot exist, hence Pat and I just substituted the average into the wt average for that week. After points have been scored, it starts to calculate.