S&P 500 weekly competition for 2012

All fixed

tumblr_m023gb2ucB1r3jsrko1_500.jpg

W/E 1st June - results

Up a bit and then doooooowwwwwwnnnn finishing at 1278.04. Volatility is slowly ratcheting up now (VIX) and Dollar Index (DXY) is also on the rise again (risk off, money flow to USD). So a well done to the downs for pre-empting the direction this week.

On that basis our Daddy, Mummy and Baby Bears for this week are:

1) wackypete 2 - 1287 (8.96)
2) hwsteele - 1288 (9.96)
3) themilton - 1250 (-28.04)

So well done pete for the win, hw and once again themilton for clocking up podiums. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Now interestingly (well at least for me), the prevailing conditions are playing into a long term, behavioural forecasting phenomena. You will see a tab on the spreadsheet called group stats. On here I did some modelling of whether people generally are bearish or bullish in their forecasts over the sample contained in there. It seems that as a group, we are generally bearish but the 2 of the most bearish individuals are pete and hwsteele. So their consistent bearish forecasting works well when in current market conditions, largely to do with the asymettry of how markets move (it takes a long time for markets to go up but a short time for them to go down).

Anyway, I digress and back onto the heady analysis of the leaderboard.

We have a new leader - pete. Additionally, hwsteele is now in joint second with Atilla. The hound has been tracked back to his kennel and there may be a new world order forming. As we are in June now and getting towards the end of Q2 with quarterly option/futures contract expirations starting in a couple of weeks time, this should make for a pretty exciting finish.

Nice work lads.

Link to results

Attachments

• SPWeekly20120601.png
    SPWeekly20120601.png
    143 KB · Views: 146

well done

Thanks for the congrats and here's hoping I make it to first place soon!:cheers:
I think we may have some more room to the down side before a retracement back up the week of the 10th. So I will call for 1255 for this Friday.

well done

Yep agreed well done guys. Now the pressure is off hopefully I should be able to perform a little better... :cheesy:

1300 for me please.

Just looking at the daily chart I come up with 2 scenarios.
The black line is the preferred line.

Attachments

• S&P 500.PNG
    S&P 500.PNG
    141.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Well I've definitely been in the on the bull side this year, as I think the long term chart is still currently on the bull side imo, although it's on a bear alert as cumulative volume is on the sell side now, but you can see on the P&F chart that volume on the pullback has been low overall. However, it closed last week right on the downtrend line from last years highs, and it is still only just below the 61.8% Fibonacci level from the October lows, so it is still in a medium term uptrend and currently in the support zone, so although it could move down further yet, I think we'll see a short term reversal soon, possibly this week, and hence I'm going say up again this week.

1286 please Rob

Attachments

• SPX_Weekly_1_6_12.png
    SPX_Weekly_1_6_12.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 199
  • SharpChartv05-4.png
    SharpChartv05-4.png
    33 KB · Views: 170
1241. I'm assuming we're going to touch the December lows (1200) here eventually since that's where the recent bull run roughly got into high gear.

Complete retracement, though. Fascinating how that works.