S&P 500 weekly competition for 2012

Locked and loaded...:!:
Here's hoping the USS-SPX sinks this week.:clover:

Well folks, the S&P decided to rally based upon positive earnings that have been coming out all week with it finishing at 1403.36 and punishing all those that thought the sell-off had finally come. To be fair it was a mixed bag between the 'Ups' and 'Downs' indicating the possibility of a week that could have gone either way.

So anyway, this weeks BeeGees lookalikes are:

1) robster970 - 1396 (-7.36)
2) Gaffs1964 - 1393 (-10.36)
3) isatrader - 1392 (-11.36)

Nobody really nailed it this week but well done me and congrats to Gaffs and isatrader for close calls too. :clap::clap:

So the leaderboard. With April now over bar the shouting it is no surprise that our Alsatian-like Atilla still leads the hungry pack of chihuahuas with his resounding lead now being cut down to only 2 points over isatrader.

Has Atilla's cuckoo clock finally cuckooed for the last time or does it just need winding up again?

Finally congrats to Vielgeld for breaking his duck. We are all officially > 0 now.

Link to results

Attachments

• SPWeekly20120427.png
    SPWeekly20120427.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Well folks, the S&P decided to rally based upon positive earnings that have been coming out all week with it finishing at 1403.36 and punishing all those that thought the sell-off had finally come. To be fair it was a mixed bag between the 'Ups' and 'Downs' indicating the possibility of a week that could have gone either way.

So anyway, this weeks BeeGees lookalikes are:

1) robster970 - 1396 (-7.36)
2) Gaffs1964 - 1393 (-10.36)
3) isatrader - 1392 (-11.36)

Nobody really nailed it this week but well done me and congrats to Gaffs and isatrader for close calls too. :clap::clap:

So the leaderboard. With April now over bar the shouting it is no surprise that our Alsatian-like Atilla still leads the hungry pack of chihuahuas with his resounding lead now being cut down to only 2 points over isatrader.

Has Atilla's cuckoo clock finally cuckooed for the last time or does it just need winding up again?

I'll post up the image tomorrow morning - am on the Mrs' computer

Finally congrats to Vielgeld for breaking his duck. We are all officially > 0 now.

Link to results

Well done to the Bee Gees and Vielgeld. Good results. (y)

1350 please Rob...

PS Casio is no cuckoo windup... Here is a lil something on how to change battery on Casio G-Shock

Re: W/E 20th April - Results

Thank you for your kind comments guys - and that cuckoo clock looks very much something I purchased many moons ago... :eek:

Bit of random good luck to be honest and I'm sure I'll get it all totally wrong soon enough.

1340 for me please Rob.

Lucky 'cos I nearly went Atilla + 1 !

:cheesy:

Wall Street managed a fourth day of gains as the strong earnings season outweighed a surprisingly weak reading on first-quarter economic growth.

Online retailer Amazon climbed 15.7 percent to $226.85 and contributed half of Nasdaq's gain for the day. An S&P retail index rose 3.5 percent and hit an all-time high. Shares of Expedia, the Web-based travel provider, surged 23.5 percent to close at $40.31, after hitting a new high at $43 on record volume.

Growth in S&P 500 (SNP: ^GSPC - news) earnings rose to 7.2 percent this week from 3.2 percent at the start of the month, according to Thomson Reuters data. About 73 percent of the companies that have reported so far have beaten expectations.

"So far the numbers have been pretty good, and we're happy about that, but I think we have to wait to where we're done with the earnings season to really make judgments," said David James, senior vice president of James Investment Research in Alpha, Ohio.

"Going forward, the big key for people especially looking at tech is what happens with the dollar. I think the dollar will probably be stronger than people expect on a relative basis. Historically that usually means tech is the sector that gets hit the hardest."

The Dow Jones industrial average was up 23.69 points, or 0.18 percent, at 13,228.31. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index was up 3.38 points, or 0.24 percent, at 1,403.36. The Nasdaq Composite Index was up 18.59 points, or 0.61 percent, at 3,069.20.

The S&P 500 posted its best weekly percentage gain since March and the Nasdaq its best gain since February.

Earlier this week, a blowout quarter from Apple Inc (NasdaqGS: AAPL - news) gave the Nasdaq its best day of the year .

With one more trading day left in the month, the S&P 500 is slightly lower so far in April but still up 11.6 percent for the year. The S&P is well above its 50-day moving average.

The earnings news overshadowed the day's economic news. The Commerce Department reported the U.S. economy expanded at a 2.2 percent annual rate in the first quarter, below economists' expectations for growth of 2.5 percent.

Among other companies reporting results, Ford Motor Co surpassed expectations as its North American unit reported the best profit in at least 12 years. But the stock fell 2.3 percent to $11.60 after executives said Ford (NYSE: F - news) lost U.S. market share in April, suggesting that second-quarter .

Also on the downside, Procter & Gamble Co shares fell 3.6 percent to $64.44 after the world's biggest consumer products maker cut its full-year profit view and posted lower quarterly earnings.

Starbucks Corp (NasdaqGS: SBUX - news) fell 5.3 percent to $57.43 and was one of the biggest percentage decliners on the Nasdaq 100 after the coffee chain operator reported results late on Thursday. Investors focused on weakness in European sales, even though its quarterly profit topped estimates.

Volume was 6.2 billion shares on the New York Stock Exchange, the Nasdaq and the NYSE Amex, below the daily average this year of 6.76 billion.

Advancers outpaced decliners by a ratio of about 2 to 1 on the NYSE as well as on the Nasdaq. (Editing by Leslie Adler)

'bout time I got in a point! A little bit miffed exactly 3 dudes got in above me, but that's the game, innit. :LOL:

1410 for next week. It'll hit 1420, retrace, then settle 'round 1410.

Congrats to the BIG three!:clap:
I missed the mark so far this time that I think I will wait a week to play again...

Well never mind they are only numbers right?:cheesy:

1389 for me this week.

Markets are due for a bit of a correction, but fridays unemployment rate should be a big mover and we better have a good number or at least in line. Im expecting the latter, so I ll go with 1414.

W/E 4th May - Results

Open, sideways, up, sideways, down, down a lot, close. 1369.10

You just really can't predict the craziness that it the S&P 500 but I can tell you that the perma-bears in our little camp who have not been doing too well so far this quarter have just been given a shot of vitamins.

So without further ado, this weeks Beverley Sisters are:

1) Wackpete2 - 1379.5 (10.40)
2) Atilla - 1350 (-19.10)
3) hwsteele - 1389 (19.90)

So it seems Pete's Parrot really has the predictive powers of a Delphic Sibyl and Atilla just ousts hwsteele into 3rd place with a slither of a point. Excellent work boys - big congrats to the 3 of you. :clap::clap::clap:(y)

Now then, the leaderboard. Atilla is trashing us lads and this blatant poor sportsmanship must be put to a halt. It seems like he was just lulling us into a false sense of security before he plunged the knife into us and laughed demonically at our puny predictive powers.

Seriously Atilla, a blinder and well done. (y)(y)

Link to spreadsheet

Attachments

• SPWeekly20120504.png
    SPWeekly20120504.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 142