S&P 500 weekly competition for 2012

W/E 16th March

So the stats are:

Up: 4
Down: 11

Average: 1354.8
Wt Average: 1350.4

Lots now calling the turn. Be interesting to see whether we are suffering from clarity or fog.

Good luck boys and girls :clover:

Link to this weeks predictions

I have just found Flashys thread on forex etc.

Same principles but a lot more action. Recommend it

So it's starting to look like some nerdy kid hacked into the Standards and Poor computer data base and found what he thought was a cool sounding computer game called the SPX. Not knowing how to play he has just been jacking up the "high" score each week. As soon as they beef up their firewall and computer security I be we all find out that the real price the market is trading at is below 1000.

Could be wrong but you never know:whistling

So it's starting to look like some nerdy kid hacked into the Standards and Poor computer data base and found what he thought was a cool sounding computer game called the SPX. Not knowing how to play he has just been jacking up the "high" score each week. As soon as they beef up their firewall and computer security I be we all find out that the real price the market is trading at is below 1000.

Could be wrong but you never know:whistling

Or maybe Mrs. Market wants to take the crap out of technical analysis :cool:

Shooting ?
Sounds dangerous

btw what is Mexico's favourite food and drink ? I thought tortillas.

BTW = by the way.

Guns are controlled in the UK. Just as well probably.

Isn't tequila popular ?

Guns are controlled by mexican government and drugdealers as well, thats why Mexico is in a fairly unsuccesful war.
Tequila is produced only in Mexico and its name comes from a town called Tequila, close by Guadalajara Jalisco Mexico, where it was first produced over 200 hundreds years ago. Mexico exports Tequila worldwide but its not a big consumer. A drunken man sitting down under a trees shade having a tequila next to him thats bsht hehehe.

Guns are controlled by mexican government and drugdealers as well, thats why Mexico is in a fairly unsuccesful war.
Tequila is produced only in Mexico and its name comes from a town called Tequila, close by Guadalajara Jalisco Mexico, where it was first produced over 200 hundreds years ago. Mexico exports Tequila worldwide but its not a big consumer. A drunken man sitting down under a trees shade having a tequila next to him thats bsht hehehe.

Should put drugs on the same footing legally as alchohol imho - end of problem.
Prohibition is a Godsend to villains and unenforceable.

I was too ashamed to post on this thread, as I would probably have expressed a bearish view each week for the past 2 months. Instead, I chose to shut up and do the opposite trade. My thesis for selling the ES was that by Bernanke not announcing QE3, the equity markets take a hit, but looks like there is nothing that trillion of dollars of idle liquidity cannot accomplish. But, I think that the party has gone long enough, and someone has to pay the bill.

Welp, this has been one hell of a week. Gotta say, they got us good, and I'm starting to doubt this thing is going to fall at all.

A post-mortem is due for some reflection. How could we have gotten direction so wrong this week?

I'm calling up again. No killing us now. We're past the point of "oh everyone is complacent so top is close" to "I must go long or I'm missing out on all time stock market highs by summer".

1416 close.

I was too ashamed to post on this thread, as I would probably have expressed a bearish view each week for the past 2 months. Instead, I chose to shut up and do the opposite trade. My thesis for selling the ES was that by Bernanke not announcing QE3, the equity markets take a hit, but looks like there is nothing that trillion of dollars of idle liquidity cannot accomplish. But, I think that the party has gone long enough, and someone has to pay the bill.

Why be ashamed here? It's just for fun. Throw up your view and see what happens!

Peter

W/E 16th March - Results

Well boys and girls, talk about being wrong-footed eh.

Seems the S&P had absolutely no intention of moving down and even finished above 1400 with a close at 1404.17.

So this weeks outstanding calls go to:

1) tar - 1399 (-5.17)
2) samspade79 (-15.17)
3) bodavula 1378 (-23.17)

I've got to take my hat off to tar for an exceptional call there - genius :clap:

Now the leaderboard. Seeing as most of the leaders got the direction wrong with the exception of bodavula, the top 6 places are separated by 2pts still as we come into the penultimate week of Q1. With the wrong-footing this week, I think the next 2 weeks is going to sort out the men from the boys.

Will Isatrader hold on to his lead?

Here's the link to the spreadsheet

Attachments

• SPWeekly20120316.png
    SPWeekly20120316.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Dude - there is no shame on this thread - I called 1310 last week!

Just roll in and make a call - nobody judges anybody here. :D