S&P 500 weekly competition for 2012

Yeah baby, #2 this week! I end the quarter with my best score yet. :D

A good holiday to you Sir Rob. Have a good one.

I say 1450 again for next week. I'm thinking we're going to see a range for the near future.

Congratulations ibetyou well done matey - a true olympian feat taking gold. (y)

1432 for me please HWSteele and very good of you to step up, volunteering where who dares tread. Hope it shows in the results crunching numbers... :)

I'm glad Robster's going to Spain as they need your pesetas right now so spend generously. Check out the prices and pick up a bargain whilst you are there. I'm told discounts of 50% is not beyond imagination in these days at the costa húmeda :cool:

Good luck to you all in this festive season. (y)

I will go for 1410 this week.
Keep the numbers rolling in guys.
I will post up every ones numbers tomorrow.
If I should get more than one payment into the ole paypal account I will give 2nd place to the most "interesting" deposit. I may even sell first place if the numbers look good.:cheesy:

Mr. Robertster have a good time and, for the love of God, don't even look at a computer while you are away!(y)

Ended the Q last again :)

Good job my real account isn't as bad as that. Oh wait...

I'll say 1459 this week.

Here are the numbers for this week...
isatrader...........1476
Samspade..........1459
Gaffs1964..........1455
VielGeld............1450
Pat494..............1440
ibetyou.............1438
Atilla.................1432
wackypete2........1430
hwsteele............1410

Mean for the list.............1443.33
Median for the list...........1440

Sorry no weighted average as I am not sure how Robster weighted the average off the top of my head.:eek:

There is no weighted average on the first week.

It is calculated by

sum(forecast * points scored)/total number of points

in that way the people with the higher number of points carry more weight.

There is no weighted average on the first week.

It is calculated by

sum(forecast * points scored)/total number of points

in that way the people with the higher number of points carry more weight.

Well there you go!
Glad to see someone knows what he's doing.:D

No sign of our amigo from south of the border this week ?

Attachments

• Mexican.jpg
    Mexican.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 321
dear dear - no holiday pics from robster yet so this will have to do meantime.

Attachments

• man-having-fun-while-using-laptop-on-beach.jpg
    man-having-fun-while-using-laptop-on-beach.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 428
For the first week of the new quarter looks like Mr. Samspade takes the lead.

1st..........Samspade with 4 points(y)
2nd.........Gaffs1964 with 3 points:cool:
3rd..........Vielgeld with 2 points:)
4th..........Isatrader with 1 point:|
tied 4th....mean with 1 point

Every one else was on the wrong side of the market this week so no points for them:(

Poor pat's guess was less than a point from where it needed to be to get the patmaster at least a single point.

I take the lead in getting it the "wrongest" of every one!:rolleyes:

Wooooooo Hooooooo for Sam !!

Off to a flying start !!

Congrats to the winners.

NEW YORK (Frankfurt: A0DKRK - news) , Oct (KOSDAQ: 039200.KQ - news) 5 (Reuters) - Global shares edged higher on Friday and Treasury prices tumbled after the U.S. unemployment rate unexpectedly fell to a near four-year low, pointing to improvement in the labor market.

Wall Street, however, erased early gains With the S&P 500 breaking a four-day string of gains, weighed by concerns about the upcoming earnings season, which begins with Alcoa next week.

The dollar advanced to a two-week high versus the yen and the euro gained as investors sold the U.S. and Japanese currencies, which are often perceived as safe havens.

The United States added 114,000 jobs last month, driving the jobless rate down to 7.8 percent, its lowest since January 2009, the Labor Department reported. Payroll gains for both July and August were revised higher.

"The details were about as good as they realistically could be under the circumstances," said Michael Woolfolk, senior currency strategist at BNY Mellon in New York.

The MSCI global stock index rose 0.3 percent to 336.55.

The Dow Jones industrial average ended up 34.79 points, or 0.26 percent, to 13,610.15. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index closed down 0.47 points, or 0.03 percent, to 1,460.93. The Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 13.27 points, or 0.42 percent, to 3,136.19.

The S&P 500 is still up 16.4 percent so far this year. The benchmark is on track for its best yearly run since 2009 when stocks rebounded after the financial crisis.

"The speed with which the market will get overbought on continued strength may pose a problem," said Ralph Edwards, director of derivatives strategy at ITG in New York.

"The market never had a truly ugly day since the highs registered on September 14th."

Europe (Chicago Options: ^REURUSD - news) 's FTSEurofirst 300 (FTSE Index: 3EC2790.FGI - news) index rallied 1 percent to close at 1,111.65.

European markets had risen earlier after reassurance from the European Central Bank on Thursday that it stood ready to buy Spain's bonds if it requested aid. The ECB also said Europe had a "fully effective backstop mechanism in place" to protect the euro.

The ECB envisions buying large volumes of sovereign debt for periods of one to two months once its bond-buying program is triggered, senior central bank sources told Reuters.

The dollar rose to 78.87 yen, the highest since Sept. 19, before pulling back to 78.62 yen, up 0.2 percent on the day . The euro rose 0.1 percent to $1.3029.

Safe-haven government bond prices fell. The benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury note was down 18/32, with the yield at 1.7341 percent.

"Treasuries sank after the jobs report," said Cary Leahey, economist and senior advisor to Decision Economics in New York.

"Though September job growth was close to expectations, several facets of the report, particularly the large drop in the unemployment rate to 7.8 percent, suggested that the Fed was closer to the exit window," he said, referring to the Federal Reserve's program of unconventional monetary easing.

Brent futures lost 56 cents to settle at $112.02 a barrel. U.S. crude futures eased $1.83 to settle at $89.88 per barrel, after climbing nearly 4 percent in the prior session.

Gold retreated from an 11-month high as the jobs data dampened its appeal as an inflation hedge. Spot gold rose above $1,795 an ounce earlier, the highest since November (Xetra: A0Z24E - news) , and was last down slightly at around $1,781.