Retail Positioning - The Ultimate Contrarian Indicator

Australian Interest Rate Decision 12:30am est

Contains the outcome of the decision on interest rates and commentary about the economic conditions that influenced their decision. Most importantly, it projects the economic outlook and offers clues on the outcome of future rate decisions.
Forecast: 4.5% +.25 hike

A deviation of .5 should move the market 50 to 100 pips
A deviation of .25 should move the market 35 to 50 pips

A 50% retracement is common in the following 3 hours. If no conflicts this entry should be good for 100% of the initial reaction.

Retail positioning is undecided as the number of buyers and sellers is nearly even.

The Reserve Bank of Australia has a monetary policy announcement this evening and it is widely expected that they will raise interest rates for the sixth time since October 2009. Judging from the price action in the Australian dollar, not everyone is convinced that the RBA will deliver. The worry is that even if they raise interest rates to 4.50 percent, they could suggest that they are nearing the end of rate hikes. Whether Australian rates will reach 5 percent before all is said and done remains a question and tonight Aussie traders will be looking for answers. In many ways, what the RBA telegraphs about future rate hikes is even more important than tonight's rate hike, unless of course they do not raise rates.

Read more: http://community.nasdaq.com/news/20...ate-decision.aspx?storyid=20339#ixzz0muktbKTV

US ADP 8:15:00 am est

Measures the change in number of employed people during the previous month, excluding the farming industry. ADP, a leading provider of employment solutions for businesses, releases this indicator two days before the official Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) employment report. While the indicator has only been in existence since early 2007, it's shown some predictive value in regard to the BLS report.

Forecast: 27.5

A deviation of 90 should move the market 70+ pips
A deviation of 50 should move the market 30 to 70 pips

A 100% retracement is common in the following 3 hours. If no conflicts this entry should be good for 100% of the initial reaction.

Retail positioning stands at 1.6 as there are 1.6 buyers for every 1 seller.

The retail positioning ratio signifies that if there is a – deviation > 50 and price breaks 94.15 stops will be hit and price will continue lower.

Our research shows ADP has been a good predictor of NFP:
image_thumb.png

GbpUsd Elliott Wave ct, 1000 pip Profit Target

I posted this just yesterday evening in the blog here. The daily chart had a complex corrective 4th wave and showed smaller degree waves suggestion the commencement of a larger 5th wave down.

It has since pulled back in a smaller degree correction as predicted to around 100 pips of profit.

As seen in a small bump in the RPM (2nd chart), buyers came in near the bottom of yellow 1.

Although I don’t generally put weight on wave counts less 1 hr levels, this 1st chart below illustrates this pullback and where it may go from here short term.

image_thumb.png

image_thumb%5B1%5D.png

250+ pips profit today that I would have missed without the RPM Indicator

It's mentally tough to buy/sell a breakout, but if you know that there are a ton of buy or sell orders placed there previously, you know that their stops lie right beyond the high/low.

With this information you can predict the breakout and feel confident entering.

It also shows you how to be a TRUE CONTRARIAN. To be a contrarian you must go against the HERD not the TREND. The RPM shows you where the herd is.

image.png

image_thumb_3.png

image_thumb_4.png

US Non-Farm Payroll 8:30 am est

Measures the change in number of employed people during the previous month, excluding the farming industry. The UsdJpy should be the most predictable mover.

Forecast: 175

The moves on this report have been extremely unpredictable. The market is reacting VERY strongly to negative news now, so we expect this trend to be true for the NFP report as well.

A negative deviation of 20-80 should move the UsdJpy -40 to -90 pips
A positive deviation of 50-100 should move the market +40 to 90 pips

Anything goes for retracements. A buy trigger that retraces quickly could be a good trade for a sell on the UsdJpy given the RPM remains > 2.5.

The retail positioning ratio signifies that if there is price movement below 90 then stops will be hit and the price will continue lower.

Warning: The market is behaving very violently and this report is one of the most volatile. Expect spread to be wild > 15 pips.

- Links, images, and News Group signup at blog here
No Ordinary Collapse: Dow Snaps Back From Near 1,000-Pt. Drop
Collapse: Some Trades to Be Canceled

UsdCad RPM Setup 5/12/2010

image_thumb.png

The main trend on the UsdCad is down. Retail traders are fighting this trend by adding to long positions. A bounce off of 1.0150 combined with a rise in the RPM could signify further downside for the UsdCad the next time it breaks 1.0150.

UsdCad RPM Setup 5/12/2010

image_thumb.png

The main trend on the UsdCad is down. Retail traders are fighting this trend by adding to long positions. A bounce off of 1.0150 combined with a rise in the RPM could signify further downside for the UsdCad the next time it breaks 1.0150.

a lot of nice paintings, can u give us some live calls on this RPM indicator ?

pleaze !

I'm posting setups as examples of how I use Retail Positioning. As traders become educated about Retail Positioning, I'm hoping that they develop and post their own trading strategies here.

I want to empower traders; not create a dependency on my trading calls. I hope you understand.

I'm posting setups as examples of how I use Retail Positioning. As traders become educated about Retail Positioning, I'm hoping that they develop and post their own trading strategies here.

I want to empower traders; not create a dependency on my trading calls. I hope you understand.
Interesting concept - definitely some value in knowing retail positions - can you just post the data and not the calls ? - thanks.

Interesting concept - definitely some value in knowing retail positions - can you just post the data and not the calls ? - thanks.

The RPM charts are here
http://rpmfx.blogspot.com/2010/03/advanced-live-charts.html

Is that what you meant by data?

When I'm not trading I'm working on a client/server version of the RPM so that you can have them in your MT charts as well. The charts on the web were easy to setup in comparison and the best way to get the info out to you ASAP.

US Retail Sales Core 8:30 am est

Derivative of Retail Sales that excludes the Automobile Sales component. Automobile Sales make up roughly 25% of Retail Sales, but they can be very volatile from month to month and can distort the picture. Retail Sales with the exclusion of this volatile component is thought to be a better indicator of the underlying trend in consumer spending.

Forecast: Core: 0.6

A deviation of 1.1 should move the USDJPY 60 pips

A deviation of .7 should move the USDJPY 40+ pips

Retracements are not predictable.

USDJPY Retail positioning stands at 1.6 as there are 1.6 buyers for every 1 seller.

The retail positioning ratio signifies that if there is a - deviation > 1.1 and price breaks 92 stops will be probably be hit and price will continue lower.

Related articles by Zemanta - on blog
* Healthier Retail Sales So Far, But Will It Last? (dailyfinance.com)
* SpendingPulse: April Total U.S. Retail Sales Ex-Auto Month-to-Month Sales Momentum Dips by 2% (eon.businesswire.com)

For live retail positioning information click here.
For 60 Second video on how to trade Retail Positioning click here.
To get news alerts by email click here.

120+ Pips on Aud/Usd today I would have missed w/out the RPM Iindicator

Retail adding at .8600, Watch for stop to be hit below .8580

AudUsd update

AudUsd blowing through .8560

I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so! Stop trying to pick the bottom!!! - > I know u retailers are buying!

UsdCad Ratio Flipped

Retail playing range, breakout potential to the upside above 1.0550

Will be good trade if RPM continue lower as price rises.