Rep; Yes or No

Does the rep system need reforming?

• Total voters
Like Richard and I, you have been here long enough to remember when the quality/crap ration was a whole lot better.

Then post more quality. And not just you, the people that have been around longer, and do know what they're talking about should be starting interesting threads. Everyone has to learn from somewhere, and that includes asking what to you may seem obvious or crap questions. If the quality/crap ratio is so bad, improve it with your own posts and threads. A lot of you guys are very helpful at answering questions, someone usually answers a question quite quickly as someone mentioned above, but there aren't that many threads from senior members detailing their methods in detail and really teaching. Sure I understand many might not want to give away their method in full or any 'secrets' but there are things you can teach. Or really debating trading on a deeper level. I'm sure many would like to see it, look how much attention Trader_dante's threads have been getting! Or is it the case, that some members have reached their goal in trading, are consistently profitable and don't want to help others?

Traders Squawk - The solution !

I still think humans ,using the rep function, are only expressing their inner natural human desires ,to communicate & offer praise with their fellow kind.

Replace or better still provode a "Squawk" (Squawk fits in with trading see and better than calling it chit chat for goodness sake !) button option that will facilitate this apparent "normality" of behaviour among social groupings, and jobs a good un I say.....

The rep will be replaced with Squawk from members relevant to the original post and the squawk will be readable for all other members through cunning use of the Mouse Over option.

Problem resolved. Do we want solutions ? Well lets put them in place now we have highlighted an area that can be improved for the benefit of all members on this fine board !

I respectfully submit !

Traders Squawk - The solution ! It's gagging For It !

Isn't this site just an off the shelf design with pretty colours and better fonts?

While the ideas presented are good, I don't know if they are deliverable.

it's based on vbulletin, you can develop extensions for it if you like.

Whether the effort is worth it is another matter ;)

Isn't this site just an off the shelf design with pretty colours and better fonts?

While the ideas presented are good, I don't know if they are deliverable.

hmm good point. As an emergency, I assume one might be able to change the rep function directly and call it "Squawk" or "Add Squawk" whatever label . And maybe the rep points can be switched off? Until a Web technician can customize the code ? I think T2W use a smallish firm that might be able to offer a tailored service. But not sure..

:)

Squawk is not discussion and it does seem humans will continue to want to add squawk or add comments etc, and it needs to be determined if this is best served or via the use of sub comments linked directly to the post OR if people are happy to post a discussion thread post saying

Begin Discussion > "Nice One" < End Discussion

Now as this is a discussion board then I personally feel it should be sh1t hot and add all the bells and whistles that aid the discussion process, and see the option for members to add squawk to a post without perhaps creating new posts , as a part of informal discussion. That will enable banter and praise comments to be placed and leave discussion threads/posts for meaty topics/new post ideas etc...

Last edited:
The rep system is completely meaningless. The vendor badge is completely meaningless, even the post count isnt strictly accurate. **** happens, deal with it

The rep system is completely meaningless. The vendor badge is completely meaningless, even the post count isnt strictly accurate. **** happens, deal with it

Yes true, now if you were in control with improving things and members on your board expressed ways to improve that will perhaps, de-clutter threads, aid clarity regarding vendors/advisors and provide a good way for people to post snippets of human interaction , then I feel "**** happens deal with it" is not the most pro active of approaches one could use to offer the best god damn discussion site on the planet !

I respectfully sibmit.... :)

If things can be improved, lets improve them, if not ,lets deal with them... I'll go with the flow ,but I notice these points pop up every 6 months or so..

I mean it's like talking to a woman with a problem, you see the problem you give them the solution to their problem, but do they want to hear that ? Do they F***! I'm still trying to figure that one out ! :LOL:

Men are from Mars women form Venus
"Ohh I see , you just want to share your problem, get it out there, off your chest, but you don't really want the solution to the problem? I understand, because you don't want the solution to the problem, because that's not the problem. NO. The problem is you having F*** all interesting to say, you live a shallow life, and you need that **** to talk about with someone who may take the time to be interested in your life for a few moments ,all because you held yourself back in life worrying about how others perceive you and your actions!"

I had to get that off my chest ! :) The solution ..... lol ?

Last edited:
I think the best suggestion is from GJ, whereby one can "follow" another members posts - i.e. subscribe to a thread but also be able to subscribe to a Member.

Whether the # of "followers" one has is made available to the rest of the forum I don't know (rep by another name?) But at least it is meaningful, I am less likely to "follow" someone because of a witty one liner

I for one know that there are members that if I see have made a post, I will make an effort to read it. For example Rhody Trader, A Dashing Blade et al... top quality posting as a general rule - but they fall waayyy under the "rep radar". This "follower" option is the perfect tool to compliment reading / posting behaviour which actually happens, a tangible improvement.

I think the best suggestion is from GJ, whereby one can "follow" another members posts - i.e. subscribe to a thread but also be able to subscribe to a Member.

Whether the # of "followers" one has is made available to the rest of the forum I don't know (rep by another name?) But at least it is meaningful, I am less likely to "follow" someone because of a witty one liner

I for one know that there are members that if I see have made a post, I will make an effort to read it. For example Rhody Trader, A Dashing Blade et al... top quality posting as a general rule - but they fall waayyy under the "rep radar". This "follower" option is the perfect tool to compliment reading / posting behaviour which actually happens, a tangible improvement.

Yeah that would work, like subscribers to blogs etc.. having so many...... I think it should be visible as that would show to others how many take interest in what that person has to post on, as a general rule.

New members to trading exposure will/may benefit, but, obviously they will, as has been mentioned already, have to be able to separate wheat from chaff and think on their own 2 feet at some point..

Worth a spin with the subscirbers approach though, if only for a marker of perceived quality that peeps have found helpful to them. But I see the reps pumping up, because no other means of "buddy Squawk" exists, and humans always take the shortcut to get their fix.... :)

but there aren't that many threads from senior members detailing their methods in detail and really teaching. Sure I understand many might not want to give away their method in full or any 'secrets' but there are things you can teach. Or really debating trading on a deeper level. I'm sure many would like to see it, ?
You make understandable points, but ultimately impossible to achieve on any consistent basis.

The problem is not so much unwillingness, I'm sure, as the effort required. While answering questions is a fairly quick and easy option and is usually handled by any one of the many here who do trade at that level, there are none AFAIAA that are committed to teaching trading – which is an altogether different skill. To expect traders to set aside the not inconsiderable time to put together anything sensible on even any one small area of trading is asking too much.

Plus, it has already been done, many times, before. The site is awash with good advice, but few new members take the time or trouble to sort it out or seek it out. Hence your comment that ‘there aren’t many threads from senior members…’. There are. They are all still there.

So all the same questions get asked again by the latest bunch of new arrivals and those old-timers with the energy remaining, answer them, again. There have been efforts to collect this type of information in ‘First Steps’ and similar forums, but unfortunately, most traders’ outputs are, by the nature of the trading day, stream-of-consciousness and don’t lend themselves to either easy identification or classification into neat categories. You really need to be there at the time.

We’re a little off topic. And rather neatly sums up part of the problem. Who would think to look in a thread titled ‘Rep; Yes or No’ for discourse of this nature?

The rep will be replaced with Squawk from members relevant to the original post and the squawk will be readable for all other members through cunning use of the Mouse Over option.
How is this different to 'reply''?

I dunno CP, seems with either have a serious traders' website again OR we head off increasingly toward Facebook/Twitter banality. We're almost there.

Surely anyone with an ounce of sense is already doing this? Isn't it the most natural thing to do anyway? Why would you need a special facility to enable it?

My concern is that getting shot of rep (and anything else as meaningless in the member data area) is a good move and a good suggesiton from you. But knowing how slowly (if at all) things work here at t2w, to add more facilities to replace ones we want taken away will pretty much be the kiss of death for ANY action.

Presumably ANY changes will have to go through Sharky? ANd based on t2w Advisors comments, that seems to be a black hole.

Let's give ourselves a fighting chance and just ask to take away (easier than adding) what we don't want and then, if there's enough support for new bells & whistles, push that through as a second tranche.

How is this different to 'reply''?

I dunno CP, seems with either have a serious traders' website again OR we head off increasingly toward Facebook/Twitter banality. We're almost there.

Well the squawk wouldn't show as a new reply post, but would appear like the reps do at the moment on the applicable post, then when a member moved cursor over it would reveal the squawk comments to all members.

The poster gets his deserved back slapping, the members being, human can express their need to back slap ,and the threads are left uncluttered of the Small Chit chat comments, but still available to be read as sub comment.

I think you missed my point. As I obviously missed yours.

Clearly there is a need in some for these add-ons that provide nothing of real value to the content or usefulness of the site with specific regard to trading activities, but which are apparently vitally, almost critically essential it would seem to some, for their social bonding needs.

I just previously thought this requirement was limited to those on-line environment where Hello and Sun readers congregate and where debates on the "Jade Goody" thing were genuinely seen as important discussion by the participants.

Ahh yes, I was thinking along the lines of appealing to the global audience . Other broadsheet types will probably/typically ignore such antics. So I guess it's down to site direction, balanced with the typical bloodlust for website hits = more revenues for a typical online commercial website.

If it makes any difference I get the telegraph delivered but only ever look at Alex and the sport.

Oh, and Births / Deaths / Marriages to see if there is anyone with my name.

And the SuDoku.

note: by "the sport", I mean as in writing about it, not as in Sunday

Double irony !! (thanks guys, lol)

rsx3cn.gif