Rant

Well - that's just fascinating....

Has to be said though that with this obvious penchant for posting inane pointless comments on teh internet - you would fit right in

Why cause I don't agree with you :)
You got a persecution complex or something.
It was humorous but also the truth.

Or is your nose still out of joint cause I was one of those
shouting loudest for vendors to be canned.
Get over it, I said at the time I didn't include you.

Something bothering you, say your piece :)
I've got no axe to grind, it seems you have.

Why cause I don't agree with you :)
You got a persecution complex or something.
It was humorous but also the truth.

Or is your nose still out of joint cause I was one of those
shouting loudest for vendors to be canned.
Get over it, I said at the time I didn't include you.

Something bothering you, say your piece :)
I've got no axe to grind, it seems you have.

untwist those panties

it was a joke :rolleyes:

Man, bunch of haters in this thread. FB is perfectly intuitive. It's there to easily keep up with friends and a way to be social without being intrusive. Hell, because of FB I can keep in touch with a friend who now lives in Cambodia and another who's become enlightened and thinks Tibet is the best thing since sliced bread. In a way, it's the modern postcard.

The flip side is, of course, a bunch of inane chatter, but I don't see how that is any different from day-to-day conversations.

:LOL:(y)

oh look, here comes the postie.

Tychem-%20Coveralls-QC-Coverall.jpg

Man, bunch of haters in this thread. FB is perfectly intuitive. It's there to easily keep up with friends and a way to be social without being intrusive. Hell, because of FB I can keep in touch with a friend who now lives in Cambodia and another who's become enlightened and thinks Tibet is the best thing since sliced bread. In a way, it's the modern postcard.

They have telephones in Cambodia, and Internet, and email, snail mail (providing it isn't stolen) etc etc

They have more mobile phone providers than we do in Malta !

I struggle to understand why Facebook would be preferable, given the issues raised regarding privacy, security etc

The point about it being the modern postcard is a good one. However, back in the day I might expect a dozen or so cards from friends and family over the space of a year. I quite enjoyed receiving them, but no doubt I would have felt different had I recieved 200 postcards each and every day, not just from friends, but from friends of friends, and I can assure you my friends and neighbors, and friends of friends would have hung drawn and quartered me had I popped around on an hourly basis to share the contents of those cards with them. The postcards I recieved didn't have adverts on em either.

Its a bad idea, badly executed

Facebook has had its day.........not saying that I like it or not .....just saying its had its heyday already

the need for privacy and more localised community interaction is on the way back....

the idea itself netted various people a lot of money so as a business proposition it served the purpose intended.......and i've seen worse !

N

I was just about to get my first Facebook friend, (a lovely chap selling trading desks in canary wharf) when those evil t2w moderators deleted his posts !

I'm gutted

I struggle to understand why Facebook would be preferable, given the issues raised regarding privacy, security etc

The point about it being the modern postcard is a good one. However, back in the day I might expect a dozen or so cards from friends and family over the space of a year. I quite enjoyed receiving them, but no doubt I would have felt different had I recieved 200 postcards each and every day, not just from friends, but from friends of friends, and I can assure you my friends and neighbors, and friends of friends would have hung drawn and quartered me had I popped around on an hourly basis to share the contents of those cards with them. The postcards I recieved didn't have adverts on em either.

Its a bad idea, badly executed

Maybe it's a generational difference? I know 20-somethings who find plenty of value in FB, and others who disdain it like they were luddites. But on the whole, we use it to stay connected and share interesting stuff. I mean, some people have very large social circles, and FB is a way to keep track of everyone. If you think one of your friends is making inane rambles every day, you can always choose to turn off notifications from that individual.

Though I'm curious -- what would you say is the proper implementation of this idea (or what would the better idea be)?

Maybe it's a generational difference? I know 20-somethings who find plenty of value in FB, and others who disdain it like they were luddites. But on the whole, we use it to stay connected and share interesting stuff. I mean, some people have very large social circles, and FB is a way to keep track of everyone. If you think one of your friends is making inane rambles every day, you can always choose to turn off notifications from that individual.

Though I'm curious -- what would you say is the proper implementation of this idea (or what would the better idea be)?

The problem is most people have a diverse range of friends and family. It's therefore unlikely that everyone is going to find a post interesting, and that tends to result in posting to the lowest common denominator.

Time will tell if the idea is sustainable. I assume that longer term in order to survive they'll need to implement some form of machine learning to allow users to automatically filter incoming content from their networks. To give an extreme example, I might not want to see my mothers 150 thousandth photograph of a stray cat that visits her home, but I would like to know if she'd been rushed into hospital.. That kind if thing !

The problem is most people have a diverse range of friends and family. It's therefore unlikely that everyone is going to find a post interesting, and that tends to result in posting to the lowest common denominator.

Time will tell if the idea is sustainable. I assume that longer term in order to survive they'll need to implement some form of machine learning to allow users to automatically filter incoming content from their networks. To give an extreme example, I might not want to see my mothers 150 thousandth photograph of a stray cat that visits her home, but I would like to know if she'd been rushed into hospital.. That kind if thing !

There might be light at the end of the tunnel:

Friends reunited > Bebo > Myspace > facebook > ?

> should be read "superseded by"

Facebook should be dead already. Where is its replacement? Or was it twitter?? What comes after twitter? If you can guess it, all the world and what's in it could be yours.

Last edited:
Facebook is THE biggest pump and dump in the history of stock markets.