Questions to ask broker to determine if they are ECN?

FXCM currently has these 17 liquidity providers which are also listed on our website:

liquidity-providers-logo-group-desktop.jpg

Jason all said and done at the end of the day
The fact remains that a true exchange there is no conflict of interest between the exchange and the trader, but with aOTC "broker" there could exists sucha conflict
+ the data is for all to scrutinize
Where as with a OTC product the Judge and the prosecutor is the same, there is no independent way of checking the data!
You can;t deny that

Your own Terms and Conditions does not guarantee 100% that you act as a exchange even in your NDD model let alone the Market maker (DD) model

By the way the 10K contract is also offered on Currency futures
+ one combine with Options on Currency futures which most of FX brokers don;t have and even if they have they are certainly market maker model

If the pair is very popular then a large brokers like your self perhaps acts like a "True Exchange" because there are enough liquidity on both sides within your pool of investors/ traders and your liquidity provider may not have to do a thing!
SO lets not gloss over these facts,

That depends on what the trader is looking for. Many fx trader use spot fx brokers with success. Also if you believe the futures market is transparent with little or no scamming of the customer then you have a lot to learn. :rolleyes:

Peter

SO are you saying the big established exchanges scam the retail trader? Does ICE/ CME/ CBOT do stop running? like many FX brokers are accused of!

Sure the big players would have a co lo advantage etc but the exchange is a exchange, Judge and Prosecutor are separate.
How many "Exchanges" have been shut down as comapred to the OTC brokers in this space?

Also the MM model does not exist in terms of true exchange ( lets not confuse the term Market makers within the exchange context as compared to the broker himself being a market maker
My point is why bother with this counter party issue at all when a more transparent alternative is present. Jutste becasue the OTC FX platform looks more attractive!
Unfortunately the FX futures is not marketed as effectively in retail space as the "OTC " product is

In simple term example with a long swing trade,
On a exchange the exchange does not bother if you win or loose
On a OTC the Broker MAY be in conflict may be not. We will never know and hence the model creats another risk dimension.. simple logic

SO are you saying the big established exchanges scam the retail trader? Does ICE/ CME/ CBOT do stop running? like many FX brokers are accused of!

No, I am not saying that. You are putting words in my mouth. Read my post again. Nowhere do I say that the exchanges themselves are scamming anyone. Again you are not informed about how things work. You are so anti spot fx brokers that you won't take time to educate yourself.

Peter

It's important to understand that being your counterparty says nothing about the execution model we offer. In fact, all retail forex brokers are the counterparties of their clients, regardless of the execution models they use. That's because the major banks and financial instituations comprising the interbank market don't want to take on the counterparty risk of individual retail traders.

The key fact about FXCM's No Dealing Desk (NDD) forex execution is we do not profit from client losses, or lose from client profits, because we offset each client order one-for-one with the best prices from competing liquidity providers. Yes, we are simultaneously your counterparty and the counterparty to the liquidity providers on the other side of your trades. That's good for you, because it means if you lose on a particular trade, the bank on the other side comes to us, not you, for their money.

Jason, just to be clear, I have no issue with FXCM. I was just trying to answer the OP's question and/or help Moka2 understand.

Peter

Peter
I am not anti anything I am just looking at facts! and have no vested interest..
My only vested interest is transparency from trader's point of view
I dont know why are you making it personal?
If you think "won't take time to educate yourself." why dont you make it simple and show the bad parts of a true exchange!
OTC fx has it's place but that does not mean that is the only thing and there are alternatives which are in some respect better in some respect may be not

Exchange Traded = Standardizes = Market Risk
OTC Traded = Customized = Market Risk + Counterparty Risk How can anybody ignore this?
Do educate me please I am an ignorant bafoon , bring all the dirty laundry of Exchange and exchange participants and do the same for OTC FX

Last edited:
Jason all said and done at the end of the day
The fact remains that a true exchange there is no conflict of interest between the exchange and the trader, but with aOTC "broker" there could exists sucha conflict
+ the data is for all to scrutinize
Where as with a OTC product the Judge and the prosecutor is the same, there is no independent way of checking the data!
You can;t deny that

Hi Moka,

FXCM is registered with and regulated by the CFTC and NFA, the same bodies that oversee futures trading in the US. In compliance with NFA rules regarding Price Slippage and Price Re-quoting that were finalized in 2012, FXCM LLC provides daily trade reports to the NFA which monitors and supervises FXCM LLC's activity including information on the price where all client orders are filled and the corresponding price where those orders are offset with our liquidity providers.

Your own Terms and Conditions does not guarantee 100% that you act as a exchange even in your NDD model let alone the Market maker (DD) model

If the pair is very popular then a large brokers like your self perhaps acts like a "True Exchange" because there are enough liquidity on both sides within your pool of investors/ traders and your liquidity provider may not have to do a thing!
SO lets not gloss over these facts,

There seems to be some confusion. The Execution Policy section of our Terms of Business clearly states the following regarding our No Dealing Desk (NDD) forex execution:

"FXCM providers a straight through execution, or No Dealing Desk forex execution model. In this model FXCM passes on to its clients the best prices that are provided by one of the liquidity providers with a fixed commission or mark-up for each currency pair. Hence, FXCM does not act as a market marker in any currency pairs and is reliant upon these external liquidity providers for currency pricing. Although this model promotes efficiency and competition for market pricing, there are certain limitations to liquidity that can affect the final execution of your order."

The reason FXCM can provide NDD is because we offer only the most liquid currency pairs. Currently, there are 39 pairs available for trading on our NDD model.

By the way the 10K contract is also offered on Currency futures
+ one combine with Options on Currency futures which most of FX brokers don;t have and even if they have they are certainly market maker model

FXCM provides NDD forex execution even on 1K micro lots to all Standard and Active Trader accounts, and you can also customize your trade size in those increments i.e. 4k, 27k, 192k, etc. rather than being forced to trade in preset contract sizes like with futures.

FXCM also provides Mini accounts with a dealing desk (DD) offering in which we act as the liquidity provider. This execution option is offered on smaller accounts ($50 minimum) in order to manage the risk. It's worth noting the base price used for DD execution on Mini accounts before adding the spread markup is the same base price used for NDD forex execution with the spread+commission pricing model. That's a key reason you can have confidence trading with FXCM regardless of the account type you choose.

Last edited:
Jason, just to be clear, I have no issue with FXCM. I was just trying to answer the OP's question and/or help Moka2 understand.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I didn't get the impression you had any issue with FXCM, and I appreciate the concerns you raised about our Terms of Business. I hope my responses here have addressed questions about our execution policy particularly in regards to the No Dealing Desk (NDD) forex execution we provide to all Standard and Active Trader accounts.

h...m
I guess then FX futures much better ,

That depends on what the trader is looking for. Many fx trader use spot fx brokers with success. Also if you believe the futures market is transparent with little or no scamming of the customer then you have a lot to learn. :rolleyes:

Peter

Sure the big players would have a co lo advantage etc but the exchange is a exchange, Judge and Prosecutor are separate.
How many "Exchanges" have been shut down as comapred to the OTC brokers in this space?

Also the MM model does not exist in terms of true exchange ( lets not confuse the term Market makers within the exchange context as compared to the broker himself being a market maker
My point is why bother with this counter party issue at all when a more transparent alternative is present. Jutste becasue the OTC FX platform looks more attractive!
Unfortunately the FX futures is not marketed as effectively in retail space as the "OTC " product is

In simple term example with a long swing trade,
On a exchange the exchange does not bother if you win or loose
On a OTC the Broker MAY be in conflict may be not. We will never know and hence the model creats another risk dimension.. simple logic

No, I am not saying that. You are putting words in my mouth. Read my post again. Nowhere do I say that the exchanges themselves are scamming anyone. Again you are not informed about how things work. You are so anti spot fx brokers that you won't take time to educate yourself.

Peter

Peter
I am not anti anything I am just looking at facts! and have no vested interest..
My only vested interest is transparency from trader's point of view
I dont know why are you making it personal?
If you think "won't take time to educate yourself." why dont you make it simple and show the bad parts of a true exchange!
OTC fx has it's place but that does not mean that is the only thing and there are alternatives which are in some respect better in some respect may be not

Exchange Traded = Standardizes = Market Risk
OTC Traded = Customized = Market Risk + Counterparty Risk How can anybody ignore this?
Do educate me please I am an ignorant bafoon , bring all the dirty laundry of Exchange and exchange participants and do the same for OTC FX

We recently completed a study that examined the quality of execution for FXCM LTD (aka FXCM UK) client orders versus the three largest FX trading venues globally, venues widely considered to represent the benchmark for reliable FX pricing. We wanted to explain why FXCM's pricing is better for retail clients.

The results of this study show FXCM LTD retail client order prices to be better than the Futures Market and Interbank Market prices for FX.*

As you can see below, FXCM's execution of orders provides customers significant advantages for FX. We believe in so doing, our traders can be confident and trust in FXCM as their broker.

Study conclusions

FXCM LTD was equal to or better than the quoted futures price 81.34% of the time compared to the spot equivalent quoted futures prices on the CME leading to potential savings of $42,529,156 for FXCM LTD clients.

• BETTER than the Futures price: 74.97%
  • Equal to the Futures price: 6.37%
  • Worse than the Futures price: 18.61%

Click here for a full presentation of the study and an in-depth FAQ.

How is FXCM able to offer a better price at which the client’s order is executed versus the quoted price on the futures market?

To answer this question it’s important to understand 1) the characteristics of an institutional market maker and 2) how market makers can operate on exchange vs. with FXCM.

First, trading at the institutional level has become a game of speed in which the lifespan of a trade is often measured in milliseconds. Some top market participants are looking to flip positions in less than a second and their main concern is to be profitable in a trade whose typical lifespan is measured in milliseconds. In order to make trading decisions and place orders at these incredible speeds, some institutions spend millions of dollars on high tech trading equipment and services to be the fastest liquidity provider possible. This entails fast market data access, collocated servers, high speed data transmission for order routing, etc. all of which is very expensive.

In a trading venue filled with these super‐fast traders, the slowest person loses the race to be the first to trade. Therefore, a safer route for institutional liquidity providers to take is to quote smaller sizes at wider prices to minimize margin of error of being picked off. Mistakes are very costly. If your algorithm is wrong, it’s better to be wrong at a smaller amount and wider price. The risks involved makes market making a fishing expedition based on speed where quality pricing and liquidity could be punished. The competition in the highly sophisticated institutional market is too great to provide the best pricing possible along with deep liquidity if the institution is exposed to the risk of being picked off by other fast and sophisticated market participants.

FXCM's NDD forex execution is different in that our liquidity providers (also known as market makers) are only allowed to be price makers on our Retail Client stream, and only a Retail Client can take a price from the liquidity provider. Liquidity provider A is not able to take a price from liquidity provider B through FXCM. This gives our liquidity providers the ability to make a market based on quality of price and liquidity rather than speed to protect against being picked off by predatory trading from other liquidity providers.

Second, compare the trading profile of the super fast market maker to that of an average retail trader. A retail trader is more likely to be using a regular internet connection on a home or smartphone while gather data from charts, news websites, etc. and making these trading decisions manually. The retail client takes a figurative eternity to perform a trade the institutional liquidity provider can complete in possibly microseconds. The lifespan of a retail trade from open to close is then measured in seconds, minutes, or perhaps longer.

As you can see, the profile of participants trading behavior at the institutional level is significantly different than the profile of participants at the retail level and therein lies the key to creating the trading environment for our liquidity providers to give better pricing to retail clients. On FXCM's platform, the liquidity providers do not have to constantly watch their back, worrying about predatory high frequency trading because the liquidity providers are only allowed to be price makers for our Retail Clients. They know that liquidity provider A (who may be a predatory liquidity provider on the futures or institutional market) is not allowed to cross over and take a price from liquidity provider B. Each liquidity provider is only allowed to take orders from Retail Clients. This creates a trading environment for liquidity providers to offer tighter pricing without fear of being picked off by another liquidity provider’s high speed trading algorithm.

I would recommend that you take a look at the study and FAQ linked above as we go into a lot more detail about the study results and market dynamics. :smart:

* The study does not in away way attempt to represent that FXCM maintains a particular capacity or performance level. The figures in this study are provided for information purposes only, and are not intended for trading purposes or advice. FXCM is not liable for any information errors, incompleteness, or delays, or for any actions taken in reliance on information contained herein. Past results are not indicative of future performance.

Material Assumptions

FXCM’s Retail Clients are defined as individual, joint, and corporate accounts trading on our retail price stream.

The comparison to each of the Futures and Interbank data is made at the time that the FXCM client order is executed. Normal market slippage and slippage due to rejections by liquidity providers are already included by the time the FXCM client order is executed. However, there is an assumption that there is no slippage on the Futures or Interbank market data.

In order to maintain consistency, Futures Market data and Interbank data used the same acceptable ranges in market trades. The summary of findings is based on the assumption that the maximum acceptable difference between the FXCM price and the Interbank/Futures market price is 5 pips in either direction.

Fees that a participant would pay on the Futures or Interbank market, such as CME Exchange Fees, NFA Fees, FCM Fees, Clearing Fees, and other commissions, were excluded from the study. Similarly, FXCM Commissions are excluded from the study.

Jason,
First of all I am not casting a doubt on your company, My comments about general OTC at retail level.
and the following things do worry me. Some may apply to your company some may not !
Also I have no vested interest
- The very fact a MM model is allowed to exists and mainly retail traders are not explicitly told about it
In case of a exchange there is only one model
- The NDD/ECN/ model is now becoming known after people burnt their fingers with MM
- Why so much bad press about OTC? over the years! where there is some smoke there is always some fire!
- Very high leverage by bucket shops: Aim is to make client loose money quickly.. ( only after GFC in US the leverage is reduced) Leverage on Futures and Equity has always been within limits, reason aim is to create a true market not a bucket shop
- Low barrier of entry to become a FX "Broker dealer" in some jurisdictions which brings in more dodgy people, Try and open a Futures or Equity brokerage business with $10000 in a proper jurisdiction! Like US/UK/Singapore
- No single poiint of ref: IF One FX broker says our XYX pair traded at 1.0 other might say our's traded at 1.02.. chance to manupulate, Where as Exchnage prices the entire globe can see them !
- Fx broker can "play "with spread Exchaneg itself can't true market participants are visible
- Ability to hedge with Options is missing or if it is there it is definitely MM
Recently heard a FX broker ( regulated and all that) offering 60 min expiry "Deal Cancellation" aka "Options " Where does the 60 Min expiry option market exist?

Here is some reading material from a regulatory authority
https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/investing/complex-investments/foreign-exchange-trading#Dealing

But they can often lie about this or refuse to provide.

Like wackypete2 suggested, check their TOS in the legal section of their websites. If they have anything like principal or counter party mentioned then they are not ecn.

Personally I've chked nearly all the major forex brokers and they are not ecn.

If they reveal their clearing company (not something like BNP Paribas, Barclays and same BS) you can make an inquiry to this clearing company to get confirmation/disproof the broker really cooperates them :)
Easy as that
Cheers

The very fact a MM model is allowed to exists and mainly retail traders are not explicitly told about it
In case of a exchange there is only one model

Hi Moka,

To be fair, this is not an apples-to-apples comparison. I can’t speak for other brokers who only offer an MM model (AKA dealing desk), but FXCM is very explicit about the fact that we offers traders a choice between No Dealing Desk (NDD) forex execution and dealing desk (DD). Furthermore, our DD forex execution is specifically for Mini accounts that can trade with as little as $50. There is only one model for FX futures because they offer no choice for a small trader looking to start with $50. Our NDD model is available to anyone with 5k to invest in a Standard FXCM account with trade sizes as small as 1000 currency units (1K or one micro lot).

If you want to make an apple-to-apples comparison, then consider how our NDD model compares to futures. That’s exactly what we did with our recent execution study.

This study is not to suggest that FXCM is better than any one venue. To their credit, institutional venues such as the CME (futures market), Reuters, EBS provide a valued service in the FX industry and are excellent trading venues. Our liquidity providers require this to trade otherwise they would not be able to make markets for FXCM’s retail clients or their own clients. The transparency of pricing and market data on the CME sets a standard for global trading which many FX market participants look to as a benchmark.

This study is meant to show how different customer segments are better suited for different venues. While institutional clients are best suited to compete with each other at the large venues like the futures market, we believe that retail clients are better suited for our trading environment as detailed in my previous post. http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...oker-determine-if-they-ecn-4.html#post2813550

x17hu6w.png

FXCM was equal to or better than the Futures price 81.34% of the time

• Estimated savings to FXCM clients: $42,529,156
  • Average savings per Order: $1.02
  • Number of orders included in the study: 41,559,576

Low barrier of entry to become a FX "Broker dealer" in some jurisdictions which brings in more dodgy people, Try and open a Futures or Equity brokerage business with $10000 in a proper jurisdiction! Like US/UK/Singapore

I agree with you that traders should only consider well-regulated brokers. Not only is FXCM regulated in the UK by the FCA, but we are also regulated in the US by the CFTC and NFA. It’s worth noting these are the same two bodies that regulate the FX futures trading on the CME.

And in regards to barriers to entry, one thing I would point out is how capital requirements have increased over the years for forex brokers in the US, and how they now compare to capital requirements for futures brokers:

No single poiint of ref: IF One FX broker says our XYX pair traded at 1.0 other might say our's traded at 1.02.. chance to manupulate, Where as Exchnage prices the entire globe can see them !

In compliance with rules regarding Price Slippage and Price Re-quoting that were finalized in 2012 by the NFA (the same body that regulates (FX futures trading on the CME), FXCM LLC provides daily trade reports to the NFA which monitors and supervises FXCM LLC's activity including information on the price where all client orders are filled and the corresponding price where those orders are offset with our liquidity providers.

All of FXCM's global trading entities including FXCM Australia and FXCM UK execute client rolling spot forex transactions as a riskless principal with FXCM LLC, so the same execution standards are applied for all of our clients worldwide.

Anyone can register for a free demo account can see FXCM’s prices, and they are quoted on many third party websites. These sites show how well our pricing compares to other brokers, and our recent execution study shows how well our pricing compares to the futures market.

Hi Moka,

To be fair, this is not an apples-to-apples comparison. I can’t speak for other brokers who only offer an MM model (AKA dealing desk), but FXCM is very explicit about the fact that we offers traders a choice between No Dealing Desk (NDD) forex execution and dealing desk (DD). Furthermore, our DD forex execution is specifically for Mini accounts that can trade with as little as $50. There is only one model for FX futures because they offer no choice for a small trader looking to start with $50. Our NDD model is available to anyone with 5k to invest in a Standard FXCM account with trade sizes as small as 1000 currency units (1K or one micro lot).

If you want to make an apple-to-apples comparison, then consider how our NDD model compares to futures. That’s exactly what we did with our recent execution study.

This study is not to suggest that FXCM is better than any one venue. To their credit, institutional venues such as the CME (futures market), Reuters, EBS provide a valued service in the FX industry and are excellent trading venues. Our liquidity providers require this to trade otherwise they would not be able to make markets for FXCM’s retail clients or their own clients. The transparency of pricing and market data on the CME sets a standard for global trading which many FX market participants look to as a benchmark.

This study is meant to show how different customer segments are better suited for different venues. While institutional clients are best suited to compete with each other at the large venues like the futures market, we believe that retail clients are better suited for our trading environment as detailed in my previous post. http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...oker-determine-if-they-ecn-4.html#post2813550

x17hu6w.png

FXCM was equal to or better than the Futures price 81.34% of the time

• Estimated savings to FXCM clients: $42,529,156
  • Average savings per Order: $1.02
  • Number of orders included in the study: 41,559,576

I agree with you that traders should only consider well-regulated brokers. Not only is FXCM regulated in the UK by the FCA, but we are also regulated in the US by the CFTC and NFA. It’s worth noting these are the same two bodies that regulate the FX futures trading on the CME.

And in regards to barriers to entry, one thing I would point out is how capital requirements have increased over the years for forex brokers in the US, and how they now compare to capital requirements for futures brokers:

In compliance with rules regarding Price Slippage and Price Re-quoting that were finalized in 2012 by the NFA (the same body that regulates (FX futures trading on the CME), FXCM LLC provides daily trade reports to the NFA which monitors and supervises FXCM LLC's activity including information on the price where all client orders are filled and the corresponding price where those orders are offset with our liquidity providers.

All of FXCM's global trading entities including FXCM Australia and FXCM UK execute client rolling spot forex transactions as a riskless principal with FXCM LLC, so the same execution standards are applied for all of our clients worldwide.

Anyone can register for a free demo account can see FXCM’s prices, and they are quoted on many third party websites. These sites show how well our pricing compares to other brokers, and our recent execution study shows how well our pricing compares to the futures market.

As I said not everything that applies to bad apples in OTC FX may or MY not apply to your firm but you are just cherry picking where your firm looks better than other's ( OTHER OTC FX)

"The transparency of pricing and market data on the CME sets a standard for global trading which many FX market participants look to as a benchmark."
That says it all for me:)

Another issue from history
Lets do an apples to apples (OTC and Exchange)
When a black swan event happened (swiss frank) some established "OTC FX brokers" either went out of business and some went close to being going out of business..( some were bailed out)
CME/CBOT/NYMEX / ICE DID NOT!
No wonder after GFC in US there was a NEED to tighten the rules of this OTC industry, There should have been better control from the begaining not as an afterthought!"

I hope big brokers like FXCM grows and becomes a true Exchange without all this DD /MM issues, which has potential to harm people more than a true exchange traded product. Web is littered with issues on OTC FX ..

Another issue from history
Lets do an apples to apples (OTC and Exchange)
When a black swan event happened (swiss frank) some established "OTC FX brokers" either went out of business and some went close to being going out of business..( some were bailed out)
CME/CBOT/NYMEX / ICE DID NOT!

To be fair, that is not an apples-to-apples comparison. You are comparing (forex) broker to (futures) exchange. If you compare (forex) broker to (futures) broker, then futures brokers are absolutely impacted by black swan events.

Don't take my word for it. Below is a quote from the CEO of Interactive Brokers regarding the SNB Flash Crash:

"The bulk of our losing customer's positions were futures contracts listed on the CME and some in the cash markets. As we announced at that time we estimated our difficult to collect customer losses of around $120 million."

source: http://seekingalpha.com/article/308...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Trading on an exchange is not a magic solution for black swan events. A black swan will impact the market whether you're trading futures or forex. Our post-SNB video showed how the market essentially stopped working for almost an hour. In such situations, brokers can be impacted with losses in either venue.

To be fair, that is not an apples-to-apples comparison. You are comparing (forex) broker to (futures) exchange. If you compare (forex) broker to (futures) broker, then futures brokers are absolutely impacted by black swan events.

Don't take my word for it. Below is a quote from the CEO of Interactive Brokers regarding the SNB Flash Crash:

"The bulk of our losing customer's positions were futures contracts listed on the CME and some in the cash markets. As we announced at that time we estimated our difficult to collect customer losses of around $120 million."

source: http://seekingalpha.com/article/308...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Trading on an exchange is not a magic solution for black swan events. A black swan will impact the market whether you're trading futures or forex. Our post-SNB video showed how the market essentially stopped working for almost an hour. In such situations, brokers can be impacted with losses in either venue.

Agreed that any black swan will affect all markets
But here you are cherry picking again, with OTC FX the "broker" and Venu is same!
Both can go out of business same time = Alpari
with Futures FCM the "Broker " and the "Venu" = Exchange are DIFFERENT
The FCM can go burst like MFG but the "venue" remains there and that is the diff.
As I said many times a true OTC broker will most of time act as a exchange with NO conflict with trader.. all fine but "inherently" at any given time if the OTC broker can't hedge his exposure.. Conflict can arise... many mum and dad "traders" don;t know these intricacies they fall for slick marketing !
Huge dangerous leverage ( may be not FXCM becasue of US regulations but others)
Small deposits!
in ability to hedge with options etc
Any way enough from my side you are a big company , I am no body , the OTC product issues are all there on the web for people to see..

Agreed that any black swan will affect all markets
But here you are cherry picking again, with OTC FX the "broker" and Venu is same!

Again, if we are to compare like for like, the venue (OTC spot FX) is not limited to one broker. The latest industry report for Q2 of 2016 by Finance Magnates shows daily retail forex volume to be $335 billion (to say nothing of the over $5 trillion per day traded in OTC spot FX overall according to the latest BIS survey) compared to $210 billion per day for FX futures.

Both can go out of business same time = Alpari
with Futures FCM the "Broker " and the "Venu" = Exchange are DIFFERENT
The FCM can go burst like MFG but the "venue" remains there and that is the diff.

• While an individual futures broker (MF Global) can go out of business, the venue (CME) still remains. True.
  • While an individual forex broker (Alpari UK) can go out of business, the venue (OTC FX) still remains. Also true.

Whether you trade spot FX or FX futures, you still must deposit your funds with a specific broker, and as pointed out in my previous post, futures brokers are not immune to black swan events.

As I said many times a true OTC broker will most of time act as a exchange with NO conflict with trader.. all fine but "inherently" at any given time if the OTC broker can't hedge his exposure.. Conflict can arise...

I won't speak for other brokers, but with FXCM's NDD forex execution, each and every client order is offset one-for-one with the best prices from competing liquidity providers. That means we never profit from client losses or lose from client profits on our NDD model. This eliminates the potential conflicts of interest you mentioned.

While we also offer a DD alternative, this is specifically for small accounts ($50 minimum) for whom trading FX futures contract sizes is out of the question. Furthermore, FXCM explicitly highlights the advantages and limitations of each execution option in the Execution Policy section of our Terms of Business.

in ability to hedge with options etc

Why not use both? There's nothing to prevent someone from taking advantage of FXCM's NDD pricing and execution advantages for spot FX trading while also taking advantage of FX options for hedging.

However, it’s important to note that trading options is also not without its perils. Consider what happened to options broker FCStone:

“Between January 2008 and March 2009, a single account controlled by two natural gas traders acquired more than 2.5 million contracts in "relatively illiquid" options, according to a CFTC statement announcing the settlement. As the value of those contracts collapsed in 2008, FCStone was forced to take on the positions itself, suffering $127 million in losses.”

source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cftc-fcstone-idUSBRE94S0WN20130529

Any way enough from my side you are a big company , I am no body , the OTC product issues are all there on the web for people to see..

And thanks to FXCM's recent execution study, people can now also compare the pricing and execution of our NDD forex execution for retail traders to what's available at venues like the futures market which are more geared more towards institutional participants and HFT types.

"an individual forex broker (Alpari UK) can go out of business, the venue (OTC FX) still remains. Also true."

Sorry Jason but again you are playing with words
There is no central Venue for OTC fx the broker and venue is same
What happens within the"Book" of 1 OTC broker has nothing to do with other OTC "brokers"
Where as all FCM futures/ options/ shares order go to a Single venue called a "Central exchange"
any blind Freddy can see that!
re: hedging with options, OTC fx spot and FX futures options are not cross margined and not on same "Venue"
FX futures and FX Option on Futures are on same venue cna be "married" easily

re FC stone
First of al it is not clear if these were "Bought option" meaning absolute defined limited downside
Or if they were naked soled option ( unlimited liability) The fact that the options contracts were "executed" means on the central exchange there was a willing counter party and the exchange "Noveted" all contracts

Sorry Jason but again you are playing with words
There is no central Venue for OTC fx the broker and venue is same
What happens within the"Book" of 1 OTC broker has nothing to do with other OTC "brokers"
Where as all FCM futures/ options/ shares order go to a Single venue called a "Central exchange"
any blind Freddy can see that!

Hi Moka,

The fact that spot FX is traded OTC while FX futures are traded on an exchange does not change the fact that trading continued in the OTC spot FX market when Alpari UK failed. You say trading continued in FX futures after MF Global failed. It’s also fair to say trading continued at FXCM and other forex brokers in the $5 trillion per day OTC spot FX market after Alpari UK failed.

re FC stone
First of al it is not clear if these were "Bought option" meaning absolute defined limited downside
Or if they were naked soled option ( unlimited liability) The fact that the options contracts were "executed" means on the central exchange there was a willing counter party and the exchange "Noveted" all contracts

These options were traded on an exchange further proving how brokers that place orders on an exchange are not immune to market risks.

and how about this

This goes to show that we are under regulatory scrutiny just as futures brokers are. As an industry leader regulated in multiple countries (FXCM and its affiliate are regulated on 5 continents while some brokers even in the futures market are regulated in only one country), I would argue that FXCM is subject to a greater level of scrutiny than smaller and less-regulated firms (US forex brokers also have to put up at least $20 million in capital while the minimum for futures brokers is only $1 million).

We believe this additional accountability benefits our clients. That's not to excuse previous regulatory actions, but rather to emphasize how we actively work with our regulators to resolve issues and ensure the best trading environment possible for our clients. Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on the stats from my earlier posts showing how forex traders received pricing on FXCM's NDD model that was equal to or better than futures 81.34% of the time?

Jason why don't we look at specifics rather than skirting the issue
- OTC fx broker the positions are only within that broker's book not a independent "Venue"
if he goes down the "market" that exists with its buying client and selling clients disappears
- FC stone: why don;t you answer my questions which are very specific rather than just saying "how brokers that place orders on an exchange are not immune to market risks."
Re 20 M , 1 MIl capital requirements.. reason it is 20 M for FX broker is because it as acting both as a broker and as a "Venue" and has more responsibility or has more chance that something could go wrong... where as a Futures broker is just doing that "broking" all positions are held at a central exchange! IF the same broker tries to start another "Exchange" the capital requirements would also be higher Re my thoughts on FXCM's NDD model that was equal to or better IF they were equal then why would I bother with OTC, you say they were better but that still does not hide the fact that with OTC there are other issue! as a "broad spectrum" I rather choose a highly visible, true exchange over OTC even at retail level simply becasue OTC FX is riddled with far more dodgy operators than a larger exchanges