Puzzles

new_trader said:
A coffin?

Corect - FW, I told you you would KILL yourself laughing :LOL:

I think if someone gets the right answer to a riddle we should post as soon as it is seen - otherwise we will all go mad!

A Hard One

Riddle:

If a duck and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many eggs would 6 ducks lay in 6 days?

This is not a trick question - like FW's math riddle it needs to be worked out - hint

CYOF said:
Balance 5 + 5 = 1 weigh (put balls aside)

Balance remaining 1 + 1 = 2 Weigh

Remove light ball from weigh 2 and replace with one ball from weigh 1= weigh 3

If weigh 3 = balance, then your removed light ball from weigh 2 is the odd one out, if not balanced then your remaining ball from weigh 2 on the scales is the odd one out - heavy ball

errr yes... but what if weigh 2 is in balance and weigh 1 is not?

CYOF said:
Balance 5 + 5 = 1 weigh (put balls aside)

Balance remaining 1 + 1 = 2 Weigh

Remove light ball from weigh 2 and replace with one ball from weigh 1= weigh 3

If weigh 3 = balance, then your removed light ball from weigh 2 is the odd one out, if not balanced then your remaining ball from weigh 2 on the scales is the odd one out - heavy ball

CYOF,

This doesn't seem right.

If you weigh 5+5 on the1st weigh-in and the scale balances then the ODD ball is one of the last 2 remaining.

You say "Remove light ball from weigh 2 and replace with one ball from weigh 1= weigh 3"

However you don't know which one is the light ball. If on the 2nd weighing the scale tips left it could mean that ball 11 is heavy or ball 12 is light.

If you were lucky enough to balance the scale on the 1st weighing with 10 balls then your final solution is correct.

ie/ Remove Ball 11 and replace it with ball 1

Scale balances= Ball 11 is ODD heavy
Scale tips left = Ball 12 is ODD light

BUT what happens if on your 1st weighing the scale didn't balance?? It means the ODD ball is one of the 10.

new_trader said:
You have 12 balls of equal size and shape, but one of them is either slightly heavier or lighter than the others. Can you find the odd ball and determine whether it's lighter or heavier with just 3 weigh-ins on a balance scale?
I can find the odd ball in 3 weighs, but can't tell whether it's heavier or lighter. Looking forward to seeing the answer.

firewalker99 said:
errr yes... but what if weigh 2 is in balance and weigh 1 is not?

But I am taking it that you can balance weigh 1 first with your 5 on either side - No?

You may of course have to change some - but if you are saying that you can't remove any balls once you put them on for a weigh - that is a different story :cry:

CYOF said:
Riddle:

If a duck and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many eggs would 6 ducks lay in 6 days?

This is not a trick question - like FW's math riddle it needs to be worked out - hint

?

CYOF said:
But I am taking it that you can balance weigh 1 first with your 5 on either side - No?

You may of course have to change some - but if you are saying that you can't remove any balls once you put them on for a weigh - that is a different story :cry:

Indeed that's not allowed... each time you change something counts for another weigh :p

firewalker99 said:
Indeed that's not allowed... each time you change something counts for another weigh :p

Correct.

Some Hints:

1) There is more than 1 solution
2) The procedure should take at least 1/2 an A4 sheet to describe (using size 10 font in MS word). If you can do it in less then chances are you've done something wrong.

firewalker99 said:
Try and obtain 24 using only the numbers 1,3,4,6 once each and only the operations +,-,/,*.

There are no tricks, no bases, square roots, moving numbers around like making 13 out of 1 and 3... You can use brackets to change the order of computations but you must use each number exactly one time (so don't say 6x4=24 that's leaving out 1 and 3).

If you got the answer, PM me. Each time I asked somebody to answer this, I bet a EUR that they couldn't find it within 15 minutes. Most of them actually never found it and gave up after an hour... Very interesting, because all it takes is a little creativity...
I haven't tried this yet, but it reminds me of a puzzle I enjoyed as a nipper. Using four 4s and some arithmetic operators, make all the numbers from 1 to 100. You've got to use exactly four 4s, no more and no fewer. You can combine them, e.g. to make 44. You can use + - * / as well as ! (factorial), parentheses, square root, and raise to a power. I got them all except one or two. Wholesome, nerdy and improving fun :idea:

Reactions: BSD
blackcab said:
I haven't tried this yet, but it reminds me of a puzzle I enjoyed as a nipper. Using four 4s and some arithmetic operators, make all the numbers from 1 to 100. You've got to use exactly four 4s, no more and no fewer. You can combine them, e.g. to make 44. You can use + - * / as well as ! (factorial), parentheses, square root, and raise to a power. I got them all except one or two. Wholesome, nerdy and improving fun :idea:

Lol, sounds incredible! I doubt if I'll make it to 100, but before I even start, is it possible to make them all?

firewalker99 said:
Lol, sounds incredible! I doubt if I'll make it to 100, but before I even start, is it possible to make them all?
Yes, it is. I can't remember the one I got really badly stuck on but it was a high odd number, a high prime like 73 I think.

To start you off, here's one way of getting 80. 4(44-4!)

It's addictive!

firewalker99 said:

Correct - but I hope this was not a guess - guessing is not allowed :LOL:

Maybe when one gets a question right they can post their solution once the answer is confirmed - what do you all think ?

new_trader said:
I agree

1 duck lays 1 egg in 1.5 days

6/1.5= 4 eggs

6 ducks x 4 = 24

Not exactly correct - but getting there

1.5 duck lays 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days - so, 1 duck can't lay 1 egg in 1.5 days

Another Person One

Jim and John are both older than Joe. Lorraine is younger than Jim, but older than John. Marge is older than Jim.

Who is the youngest and who is next to the youngest.

I actually got this one worked out when I tried it a good while ago - it took about 10 mins - hint - paper & pen

CYOF said:
Jim and John are both older than Joe. Lorraine is younger than Jim, but older than John. Marge is older than Jim.

Who is the youngest and who is next to the youngest.

I actually got this one worked out when I tried it a good while ago - it took about 10 mins - hint - paper & pen
Joe is the youngest and John is next to youngest. Maybe I got it wrong as it just took a few seconds. Good thread this :)

CYOF said:

Wait now, let me double check this.

If 1.5 duck lays 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days - then how can 1 duck lay 1 egg in 1.5 days.

Should it not be - 1 duck lays 1 egg in 1 day, or .75 duck lays 0.75 eggs in 0.75 days?

CYOF said:

Hmmmm...If the answer is 24 as you suggest, then 1 duck lays 4 eggs in 6 days. Which means 1 duck lays 1 egg every 1.5 days....

blackcab said:
Joe is the youngest and John is next to youngest. Maybe I got it wrong as it just took a few seconds. Good thread this :)

Correct - and that was fast, well done - you must have a lot of relatives :LOL: