Puzzles

Can we extend the deadline? what with all te sh!t going on today I wont be able to give it as much attention as it requires.... tomorrow perhaps?

No problemo, I'll say nothing. And I'll only post the answer in the other thread later, so if you don't look you can keep busy as long as you want ;)

PS: first impression is that you're on the right road

Actually 5 vs 5 has got to be sub optimal. Intuitively should be 4 v 4 or 3v 3.

1st step 3 v3. Either outcome you eliminate 6 balls....

is the crux in the 3 states of the scales? either tipping to left, right or balanced?

if you weigh balls 1-6 on one side and 7-12 on the other, one side is tipped - no information.

if you remove balls1,2 and balls 7,8.

then weigh balls,3,4, 9,10 against 5,6,11,12. (switching a pair over)

if the scales balance, the odd-ball is in 1,2 and 7,8.

if the scales remain tipped in original direction, then odd-ball is 3,4 or 11,12, since they havent changed position.

if the scales change tipping direction, then the odd-ball is 9,10 or 5,6 since they are the only ones that have changed position.

this way you can eliminate 8 balls, and focus on 4 within 2 weighs.
I still cant get to determining either ehavy/light without an extra weigh.

I am sure its noticing the direction of imbalance after shifting the combos of balls.

is the crux in the 3 states of the scales? either tipping to left, right or balanced?

if you weigh balls 1-6 on one side and 7-12 on the other, one side is tipped - no information.

if you remove balls1,2 and balls 7,8.

then weigh balls,3,4, 9,10 against 5,6,11,12. (switching a pair over)

if the scales balance, the odd-ball is in 1,2 and 7,8.

if the scales remain tipped in original direction, then odd-ball is 3,4 or 11,12, since they havent changed position.

if the scales change tipping direction, then the odd-ball is 9,10 or 5,6 since they are the only ones that have changed position.

this way you can eliminate 8 balls, and focus on 4 within 2 weighs.
I still cant get to determining either ehavy/light without an extra weigh.

I am sure its noticing the direction of imbalance after shifting the combos of balls.

I looked at it this way, but I run out of "goes"...

the solution I'm looking at now involves 1 "go"of 4 vs 4, then another of of 3 vs 3, and one last go of 2 vs 2

you have to switch the balls around I think. I am using a matrix to monitor all the possible permutaions

ok I think you need to do 3 weighs of 4 v 4 moving the balls around and using proof by contradiction. I think you were right Trendie.

Puzzle
If walkings good for you, then why does our postman look like Jabba The Hut :?::confused:

Puzzle
If walkings good for you, then why does our postman look like Jabba The Hut :?::confused:

J, he's an alien ?

Or you've smoked too much dope ?

:D

2-153361-9024-t.jpg

mfln655l.jpg

JTraders posty is fat because he's a lazy @rse... below is a Map of the streets he's got to walk along. Find the route he takes, starting and finishing at the Post Office.

He must walk along each street at least once. The numbers in blue represent the length of each street in 00's of metres. Find the shortest distance.

EDIT: .. not only the distance, but the route...

attachment.php

BONUS PUZZLE: Identify JT's house and win a special prize.... I'll bring the eggs ;)

Attachments

• T2W_puzzle.jpg
    T2W_puzzle.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
JTraders posty is fat because he's a lazy @rse... below is a Map of the streets he's got to walk along. Find the route he takes, starting and finishing at the Post Office.

He must walk along each street at least once. The numbers in blue represent the length of each street in 00's of metres. Find the shortest distance.

Is it possible in less than 48 meter?

It is impossible to do in 48 metres.

To be honest, I struggled to find a problem that was harder than the coin one, except the Three God problem which is practicaly impossible, and very well known.

Is the answer any different if the posty changes his job? The manager was so impressed with the posty, that he gave him a promotion... now, all he has to do is visit each of the offices B, C, D etc... and deliver their parcels - he doesnt need to travel along each street, he just needs to get to the offices.

Is there a quicker route?

You are washed up on Easter Island, and presented to the 3 gods:

One God is the God of Truth, who always tells the truth and who never lies.

One God is the God of False, who always lies and never tells the truth.

One God is the God of Chaos, who either lies or tells the truth, at random.

You have to find out which God is which in 3 questions. The Gods can only answer "yes" or "no", except in their native language. The two words are "Ooga" and "Booger", but you do not know which is the word for yes and vice versa (i.e. you know booger all).

EDIT: You can't include "are we on Easter Island" or its variants as a question, it is possible to solve without evidence.

Which 3 questions do you ask?

Last edited:

You have to find out which God is which in 3 questions. The Gods can only answer "yes" or "no", except in their native language. The two words are "Ooga" and "Booger", but you do not know which is the word for yes and vice versa (i.e. you know booger all).

EDIT: You can't include "are we on Easter Island" or its variants as a question, it is possible to solve without evidence.

:LOL: You can't include "are we on Easter Island"?

So why say "You are washed up on Easter Island"

Why not say, "You are washed up on AN island? :LOL:

Or washed up on a beach?

Or you are washed up somewhere?

:LOL: You can't include "are we on Easter Island"?

So why say "You are washed up on Easter Island"

Why not say, "You are washed up on AN island? :LOL:

Or washed up on a beach?

Or you are washed up somewhere?

I added it for context.

Solved it?

EDIT: .. not only the distance, but the route...

Mr Gecko can it be done in less than 50m?

Mr Gecko when you ask a question is it to all 3 gods so that you obtain 3 answers per question?