Prop trading or Investment Bank

In regards to prop shop vs IB, if you want to make a lot of money i.e 8 figures a year plus, the only way to go (if you can get in there) is an IB......evidenced by the fact that the ratio of hedge fund managers who made their name in the IB world vs those who made their name in the prop shop world is (ahem) significantly skewed towards IB experience and lets face it, the top traders are hedge fund traders/managers (I don't know any bank traders who have taken home $3 yards in one yr!)......even given the poor performance of Citadel!!! lol

Utter, utter nonsense. The only reason your ratio may stand is because prop traders who are making 10 million a year plus have absolutely no desire to manage other people's money in exchange for fees that amount to, in their minds, a pittance. To make 7 figures at an IB you will be, for the most part, in the latter stages of your career; I know a 26 year old prop trader who just spent 90 grand on a sports car, because he was bored. 100k profit DAYS are not uncommon in the prop world - good luck earning that in a day at an IB.

Utter, utter nonsense. The only reason your ratio may stand is because prop traders who are making 10 million a year plus have absolutely no desire to manage other people's money in exchange for fees that amount to, in their minds, a pittance. To make 7 figures at an IB you will be, for the most part, in the latter stages of your career; I know a 26 year old prop trader who just spent 90 grand on a sports car, because he was bored. 100k profit DAYS are not uncommon in the prop world - good luck earning that in a day at an IB.

tell that to the 28 year old next door to me who works for a large swiss IB who just spent £250,000 on a new car. At the end of the day you can earn a lot of money at either a prop shop or an IB.

My mate Dave is a prop trader, he's only 5 months old and he just spent 4.5 million on a car that he can't drive. This argument is retarded. Goodbye.

My mate Dave is a prop trader, he's only 5 months old and he just spent 4.5 million on a car that he can't drive. This argument is retarded. Goodbye.

lol i wasnt an arguement it was a reply to your comment about how you made out an IB trader cant go out and do what your "mate" did. Seems to me its always an arguement or retarded when you dont have a good reply.

there are examples of both but i reckon there are more consistently profitable bank/hedgie traders than there are locals. for every very successful local you'll hear of 10 that fecked it.

and for every successful hedge fund manager there are 20 who can't outperform or even match the indexes. For every IB employee who's on 7 figures plus, there are 50 who aren't.

difference is the HF manager makes money whether the fund wins or loses. for every IB employee yes, for every IB trader I beg to differ (i am using prop only here) and in every case they will quickly lose their job if they continue to underperform.

ah prop only, you're definitely correct. I thought we were still including sales traders, back office munters etc.

I'll agree that prop traders at IB are definitely in the upper echelons; I just think that there are far more barriers stopping people from getting to that position within a bank (especially these days), whereas the amount of money I as a local can make is limited only by my results.

of course. and there are virtually no barriers to any cabbie with 10 grand turning up in an arcade trading the same markets as the institutions. there's the main difference.

(no offence intended to cabbies-just highlighting the difference)

If you can trade profitably, go for yourself
If you can't trade profitably and can't get into IB, go prop
If you can't and can get into IB, go IB

Still absolutely no bitterness after being fired from a certain prop firm I see fantastic... good to see people don't hold a grudge.

and for every successful hedge fund manager there are 20 who can't outperform or even match the indexes. For every IB employee who's on 7 figures plus, there are 50 who aren't.

and for every prop trader at an arcade who does make millions, there are 100s who never get off the sim or get past trading a 1 lot. Either way as has already been said trading is trading the success to failure rate apply to the same in both arcades and Ib which is for every 1 big succesful trader there are 100s who couldnt replicate the same.

I'm not the one who made 30k on the sim by clipping 100s in the FTSE, then went to my boss to ask for a withdrawal... :whistling

According to a PM I just received from fantastic, I am looking 'pathetic and desperate', and need to get a grip of myself. Interesting. Just getting a bit bored of you slating prop firms to be honest, when you've spent the last year of your life getting booted out of them.

I'm not the one who made 30k on the sim by clipping 100s in the FTSE, then went to my boss to ask for a withdrawal... :whistling

According to a PM I just received from fantastic, I am looking 'pathetic and desperate', and need to get a grip of myself. Interesting. Just getting a bit bored of you slating prop firms to be honest, when you've spent the last year of your life getting booted out of them.

You are confirming that you are a real imbecile. Get a life or even bettter start making real money. :)

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/general-trading-chat/61014-how-low-will-prop-industry-go.html

Last edited:
I've read the post, and I know the facts. Personally I wouldn't choose to slag off my employee on a site that most of your colleagues will read regularly. Then again, I don't have the mind of a child.
Not going to get drawn into an argument about this, I've just put up with you slagging off Futex and prop in general for long enough; swallow your sour grapes, deal with it, move on.

I've read the post, and I know the facts. Personally I wouldn't choose to slag off my employee on a site that most of your colleagues will read regularly. Then again, I don't have the mind of a child.
Not going to get drawn into an argument about this, I've just put up with you slagging off Futex and prop in general for long enough; swallow your sour grapes, deal with it, move on.

I can only feel pity for you. I wish you were making real money and could get a life. Selling trading courses will never make you as much money as making real money with trading.:)